Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    same thing happend to me 1 week ago.. the funny is... the dude who hacked me is useing his normal hotmail to change info on my account and shit, so i found him on facebook lol...His hotmail is holynox@hotmial.com

Fail hacker is fail.

Deleted
    About 95% of all the readers, or atleast those who failed to make a comment didn't get the moral of this story.

In 4years I havent been hacked once, not using authenticator either. You just gotta learn what a good antivir is and get a damn clue about suspicious e-mails and fake URL's.
    Kabukage 85 Tauren Shaman - Ahn'Qiraj EU
    Gandalug 85 Dwarf Paladin - Emerald Dream EU

Good story. ^_^

We're so lucky that Blizzard is kind enough to fix our hacked accounts without any extra cost. And they sometimes do it so quickly.

Perhaps you got hacked at a replica website? I remember I got hacked at a replica of the Armory. I had a bad feeling about that replica site because it seemed a TAD different (it asked me to log in to look at my character) but I didn't think my account was in any danger. Seems that most people shrug off any suspicious things like you did with the whole being in Dal near your mailbox.

BTW,Most of the key-loggers these days are either embedded in URLs as people have mentioned OR in banner advertisements for gold sellers. So, if you have a website up with a gold seller banner add, while logging into wow. They have your password.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Painkiller View Post
    Threads like this that get me thinking, what if I start a trial account, give the info through some goldsellers scam, wait a week, call blizz and change the pass, get an authenticator, go into the account keep all the riches the gold seller put on that account, plus if they added a month.

Maybe one day...
    This is exactly what happened to my GF's account (wasn't a trial though). Although all her chars had the gear sold and every possible item sold, and all the gold taken from those chars, there was some new Level 1 hunter created with the name 'Cvalkd' or something. We basically did a normal password retrieval, and I think we logged on while they were on. That char still had full access to the guild bank it was in (with other 'random' names as members, all level 1) with over 100k gold in it.

I'm still living off that finders keepers gold..
    Last edited by mmoc6025b804ec; 2010-06-15 at 12:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Perhaps you got hacked at a replica website? I remember I got hacked at a replica of the Armory. I had a bad feeling about that replica site because it seemed a TAD different (it asked me to log in to look at my character) but I didn't think my account was in any danger. Seems that most people shrug off any suspicious things like you did with the whole being in Dal near your mailbox.
    The only reason people get hacked is from human error. You don't need authenticators to be safe, simply have strong protection programs AND be internet savvy. Key loggers don't plummet from the sky targeting you as an individual, and, with a key logger your WoW account is nothing compared to what you could lose (personal information). Yes, an authenticator is a tad more protection for your WoW account, and, if you aren't able to make smart choices while online than you should have one.

Five years of playing and never been hacked. I've clicked a few bad links, too. But, GoogleChrome blocks sites pretty well, and Norton 360-PE is marvelous to prevent key loggers/viruses.

Guys remember you can get the mobile ones free for Iphone and Ipod touch and for around 50 pence on most other newer mobiles.

We've had 4 ppl getting hacked in the last few weeks, so using one is a really good idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I don't have an authenticator btw.
    Fail ?

Gotta love all the holier than thou "I don't need an authenticator, therefore...."

Michael Jordan plays basketball, therefore, we can all play basketball.

Giving advice to someone who has ALREADY BEEN HACKED to get an authenticator just makes sense. Telling someone that they can prevent being hacked when they HAVE ALREADY BEEN HACKED is just plain idiocy.

Playing since early '05, no hacks, and I use an authenticator.

And for the person who posted that their friend "got hacked twice" with an authenticator, why is always "my friend" and never the actual person? Because it didn't happen.

So, moral of the story: Buy an authenticator. Corehound pups are adorable.

Deleted
    5 or 6 bucks? worth each cent.
    So many Scams going around these days, been getting like 20 Mails each day.
    (Kinda strange, cuz this started when the BNet went live, and the accountname became the email adress).

@Dazzles
    you can get hacked with an authentificator, but it pretty damn hard to do for the hacker.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

Without a authentificator a simple trojan can get you hacked, or some web based Java attacks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Hey just pointing out you have to use the same email as your battle.net to log into wow.
    And other then that use a different one.

Its kinda sad actually that our log in name is our email.
    That's what he was saying. Don't use your regular email address - or any that you use to log into other sites - for your Battle.net log in. Make a completely new email address just for Battle.net and use a unique password that you haven't used anywhere else. You really don't want to use the same email as you do for sites like Facebook, MySpace etc. especially if you have added any WoW players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daranus View Post
    my friend has been hacked twice, and he has an authenticator on his account. If these people want to , they can always find a way.
    Your friend still visits unsafe sites probably and gets keyloggers. It is possible to 'hack' the authenticators then if the hackers are really, really fast. Then again you could trick them by putting in a wrong code, then enter correct one and by then the code will have expired. Still, if you get hacked while having an authenticator connected to your account, it's time you do some thorough cleaning on your PC or even better format and reinstall.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daranus View Post
    my friend has been hacked twice, and he has an authenticator on his account. If these people want to , they can always find a way.
    If people want to, they can always find a way to make their systems more vulnerable. Tell your friend to stop being an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by archangelz View Post
    I have been just informed that authenticators prevent all hackers and cannot be bypassed.
    Thx guis, rly gud info.
    Authenticators are not 100% security, but they are more secure than not having one. Anyone who knows anything about network security will tell you that there is no 100% secure. You can only do everything in your power to get as close to 100% as possible. Without authenticator: Account stolen by any keylogger. With authenticator: Account stolen by one (so far) specific keylogger (which doesn't have a good penetration rate) that requires the attacker to have a MITM attack ready and waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsylvana View Post
    ^ 5 years playin, no authenticator, never been hacked.
    When it asks you OK or cancel, just cancel guys, lol.
    Because it's tough to create a javascript that makes both the OK and Cancel buttons do the same action? The safest option is to open task manager and kill your browser process if you get an unwanted OK/Cancel popup.

Quote Originally Posted by hermansen View Post
    I wonder how long it will take people to realize this.
    People that don't want to realize it, never will. For some it's an ego defense. For others, it's just raw stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabukage View Post
    In 4years I havent been hacked once, not using authenticator either. You just gotta learn what a good antivir is and get a damn clue about suspicious e-mails and fake URL's.
    ...and pray you don't get hit by a flash vulnerability.

Thumbs down

You know what the problem is?

I haven't got a phone that's compatible with the mobile authenticator. Just some 'ordinary' Samsung phone.
    Haven't got an iPhone, iPod, iPad or whatever.
    What are you thinking right now? "Buy one off the Blizzard Store" you say?
    They only accept credit cards. You know what? Most people in Europe haven't got credit cards.

I haven't got an authenticator simply because I can't get one!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlejuice View Post
    Hell yes!! And i also find it extremely stupid that you have to pay extra money for a computer just to play this computer game, they should make that free too. Oh and my isp needs to be payed too, blizzard where are you there?? Damn those cheap bastards!!

But now i am off, have to write an angry letter to my bank. I left my card with pin written on it in a bar and now someone took money of my bank account. I want those cheap bastards to pay me the necessary brain surgery to get half a brain so i do not fall for that again. Its obviously completely their fault. How could i have known not to do that if they don't even pay the surgery. BASTARDS!! EVERYWHERE!!!
    This made me lol.
    To anyone who says playing for 4-5 years. So was I before I got hacked. Never nay sayed about having an authenticator, but now I do. Out of all the accounts out there not all of them will be attacked yet.

Also if someones been basically having unprotected sex, never got an STD because they've always done "the right things" like get to know the person and not give it out; I guess they shouldn't not have to worry about protected sex because they don't need it because they'll still be ok, right?

*edit* some spelling

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ijsjehater View Post
    I haven't got an authenticator simply because I can't get one!
    EBay?

And the Mobile Version you can get nearly for all Phones that support JAVA.
    Got a K750i (Sony), and works like a charm

Quote Originally Posted by Knopperz View Post
    EBay?

And the Mobile Version you can get nearly for all Phones that support JAVA.
    Got a K750i (Sony), and works like a charm
    I tried to get an authenticator from a different phone work, but I couldn't get it work correctly. It failed to synchronize, and the resolution was farked up, couldn't read the registration code.

Also, EBay? Nah, the code for those things are openly visible... I'd rather not have that. Maybe a bit paranoia there.

[Edit]
    Checked Ebay, those things are either damned expensive ( $24 for something that's worth 7$? ), or don't ship to Europe.
    [/Edit]
    Last edited by Ijsjehater; 2010-06-15 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Checked Ebay Prices

Deleted
    Yeah, EBay is kinda expensive... but if you dont have a Credit Card, its a possibility to get one.
    Another option would be asking a friend who has a Credit Card and order in the Blizzard Store, they deliver everywhere.

Its perfectly Safe from ebay btw...just expensive...

10+ Year Old Account
    Methods like PayPal and pre-paid credit cards work well, for those without an actual credit card.