Thread: Rupture

Rupture

Hey this is my first post here (:

My question is if i should use rupture in my rotation, and if it should be low or high rupture (also what´s the different between it ? :b)
    recently changed to combat from mutilate

Heres my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...der&cn=Sindore

Deleted
    High rupture = 100% uptime, Low rupture, not, i dont really know what you should do, since i'm Assassination :P

Quote Originally Posted by sindore321 View Post
    Hey this is my first post here (:

My question is if i should use rupture in my rotation, and if it should be low or high rupture (also what´s the different between it ? :b)
    recently changed to combat from mutilate

Heres my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...der&cn=Sindore
    The easy question first, high-rupture prioritizes keeping rupture up at all times (as often as you can) and ideally with as high a CP as you can each time. Low-rupture uses strictly 5CP ruptures and weaves in far my eviscerates by comparison.

As far as *should* you be rupturing: rupture is a dps increase in pretty much any gear **if** you satisfy the following conditions: most importantly your raid must have the mangle/trauma debuff from a cat, bear, or arms war. Without this you never rupture at all. Secondly, if the fight is entirely or at least largely tank and spank. If your rupture isn't going to fully tick out (such as deathwhisper adds) you don't use it. Thirdly, you have to be the sort of person who would rather optimize their performance based on absolute best case conditions only. Now I'm not saying that your festergut and saurfang dps isn't important, nor am I trying to poke fun at anyone, but if you go the rupture route, you just have to realize that you're going to be weaker in non-ideal conditions, and that those conditions are probably going to occur more often than the ideal ones.

So if you don't run with a very consistent and reliable cat, bear, or arms war, just drop it right away. If you have the debuff and don't mind changing the specs/glyphs required, and you want to get the absolute best parse you possibly can on festergut and saurfang, than rupture is certainly viable (and in fact better). We personally do not have the debuff, and I don't think that optimizing your dps for 2 fights out of 12 is the best way to go, so I don't use it, but I know quite a few serious rogues that use two pve specs, one rupture and one not. This is a decent solution if you don't want that other spec for something else. That said, don't be misled by anyone telling you that evis only will yield crappy dps compared to rupture. Even under ideal circumstances, the difference is tiny, and I do quite well as evis only, landing just shy of 16k in zero 277 gear (aside from ring obviously).

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Load up one of the spreadsheets from EJ Rogue forum, plug in your gear and it will usually tell you what rotation (Evis, Low/High Rupture) will yield most DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mepp View Post
    Load up one of the spreadsheets from EJ Rogue forum, plug in your gear and it will usually tell you what rotation (Evis, Low/High Rupture) will yield most DPS.
    Dangerous advice without the proper warnings. The sheet flat out assumes you have mangle until you turn it off. Likewise, it won't spec back and forth or change glyphs or whatever. You really have to fully go one way, look at the dps value, and fully go the other and *then* compare.

Honestly, the mangle/trauma debuff isn't required to have rupture be a dps increase. I have had the spreadsheet tell me to use rupture even without the debuff selected. The debuff makes rupture better that much better; however, it is usually better than a straight evis rotation even when it's not buffed with mangle or trauma. If you're using Aldriana's spreadsheet, make sure you give rupture the ability to crit.

With this being said, the dps difference between the 3 most optimal rotations is not very big. About 60% of a combat rogue's damage is from auto attacks and poisons and you can't screw those up. Finding the "best" rotation will only increase your dps by a little bit, and most of the time it won't even be noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mepp View Post
    Problem with this is that the spreadsheet will always say that rupture is a dps gain assuming standard buffs, so plugging in your gear is a waste of time. The spreadsheet will not tell you whether or not rupture is better for what you are doing, and you need to figure this out on your own.