Poll: Would you ever delete your chars in favor of a fresh start for Cataclysm?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well, I'll be starting characters on another server, so in one sense I'll be starting over. However, I won't be deleting my old characters, and probably will still play them.

Certainly an interesting train of thought you got there.

I'd do it if I could get my n00b-ness back. Leveling up my hunter was so much fun when I didn't know my way around the world, and what each class did, what each boss did, where all the quest givers are, etc. If I did it now, I'd probably get annoyed.
    But this hits the spot for me rather nicely. Thinking of the feelings i got while leveling my first toon, I just don't see it possible for Azeroth's revamp to bring that much of a novelty to let me feel something like that again.
    I have, however, rolled some toons on different servers just for kicks, and it was quite a nice experience (bar the fact my lvl72 hunter stil has 8slot bags in bag department).

While buying a whole new account certainly is expensive for some, do you have some IRL friends who played but quit the game? If so, it might give you a nice alternative.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    That's fair enough; I imagine there are a lot of people who share that viewpoint and it makes just as much sense as any other. For what it's worth, though, I think the whole 'paying for new ranks of spells' is going away in Cataclysm in favor of abilities that, once purchased, automatically scale up as you level. That alleviates that last little bit, but there's certainly more to it than that.
    Umm... You still need to "stay current" - there will still be the need to actually GET all of those skills in the first place. Staying current includes getting all spells - not just keeping the favourite ones capped. And it also includes keeping professions up to date. I much prefer choosing a set of professions when I start a new Char and then I stick with them all the way unless something drastic makes me decide to change it. Buying all recipes to skill my profession as I level up tends to eat a lot of gold. And since I skill my professions I tend to not go 2xgathering and play the AH...

I also get both cooking and first aid and keep those current on my way up (cooking falls behind sometimes, but never first aid). I only skip fishing on new alts on my main server since I already have 3 toons with capped fishing, epic pole with eternium fishing line and the fishing hat...

And of course, as I mentioned before - staying current with all levels of riding skill. I probably won't buy 310% flying unless it's fairly cheap, but all of my alts so far have got 280% within hours of dinging 70.

The first thing I do when I start a new alt these days is mail over a complete set of 20-slot bags. That gives a bit of space to work with...

But as I said... If you feel like starting ... for lack of a better word "fresh" with NO resources to back your toon up, hey - go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellevad View Post
    Umm... You still need to "stay current" - there will still be the need to actually GET all of those skills in the first place. Staying current includes getting all spells - not just keeping the favourite ones capped. And it also includes keeping professions up to date.
    Oh, well yeah of course you'll have to still buy recipes and advance your skills in your professions and whatnot. And yeah, you'll have to buy new spells initially before they start auto-ranking up. I suppose I was being a bit tunnel-visioned in talking only about, say, Sinister Strike not needing to be paid for a half dozen times in the first 60 levels or whatever. Sorry about that.
    Freakin' infraction points...how do they work?!

I still don't understand why you'd NEED to delete.

Since I'm an altoholic I occasionally will reroll on a new server just for the hell of it, and I always do it completely from scratch, no money on the new server, no items, just the stuff a level 1 character will start with. And I've never had any problems.

What would you gain from this.

I still don't understand why you'd NEED to delete.
    Well, after thinking about it a bit, I think it's psychological for me. It would be, for example to me, pointless to roll another rogue if I already have one. So if I'm going to reroll, I need to get rid of the one I have. The one exception was BG characters for low levels, though the incentive for those has waned significantly.

I could never see myself releveling a character if I already have that class of character. Ergo, to relevel I must delete.

What would you gain from this.
    A fresh, new experience from start to end that doesn't rely on years old memories to make it fun. For example, my warrior was a ton of fun to level, but I cannot for the life of me recall a fond memory of him that came after he hit max level. With the new content for leveling coming out, I wanna start fresh and create new, contemporary memories rather than just level him another 5 levels and go back to blandness right off the bat.

I dunno, I suppose that's why it's 'odd'.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, after thinking about it a bit, I think it's psychological for me. It would be, for example to me, pointless to roll another rogue if I already have one. So if I'm going to reroll, I need to get rid of the one I have. The one exception was BG characters for low levels, though the incentive for those has waned significantly.

I could never see myself releveling a character if I already have that class of character. Ergo, to relevel I must delete.

A fresh, new experience from start to end that doesn't rely on years old memories to make it fun. For example, my warrior was a ton of fun to level, but I cannot for the life of me recall a fond memory of him that came after he hit max level. With the new content for leveling coming out, I wanna start fresh and create new, contemporary memories rather than just level him another 5 levels and go back to blandness right off the bat.

I dunno, I suppose that's why it's 'odd'.
    But you still understand how the auction house works, how to talk in trade, which flight paths lead where and many of the raid locations. You cannot truely get the "newbie feeling" without playing a completly new game

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    But you still understand how the auction house works, how to talk in trade, which flight paths lead where and many of the raid locations. You cannot truely get the "newbie feeling" without playing a completly new game
    Don't misunderstand, I don't believe this will in any way compare to the original experience. What I'm saying is that a good deal of my enjoyment of current characters comes via the rose-tinted glasses of that newbie-ness. Starting over fresh, with what I know now, will be a different kind of experience with different sorts of memories.

So they'll be different, unique memories and a fresh take on the game from an experienced perspective; seeing differences and experiencing the new content, without attempting to live in the past or anything.

I dunno, it'll be what I make of it I s'pose.

I'm surprised no 'can I have your stuff' comments have been made. Not that it matters, since I already promised my gold and jank to my uncle

Hell no. I couldn't stand leveling a character using 8 and 10 slot bags.

Starting on another server would pretty much fix all the problems. Go another race, faction, and class. You would have no BOAs no gold no one you knew and would be like starting over. If you have to delete your char to do so then do what males you happy. Personally I just rerolled on another server but I would never delete any character I ever really played.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't misunderstand, I don't believe this will in any way compare to the original experience. What I'm saying is that a good deal of my enjoyment of current characters comes via the rose-tinted glasses of that newbie-ness. Starting over fresh, with what I know now, will be a different kind of experience with different sorts of memories.

So they'll be different, unique memories and a fresh take on the game from an experienced perspective; seeing differences and experiencing the new content, without attempting to live in the past or anything.

I dunno, it'll be what I make of it I s'pose.

I'm surprised no 'can I have your stuff' comments have been made. Not that it matters, since I already promised my gold and jank to my uncle
    And im no one to stop you from doing it

Deleted
    I dont miss the feeling you get from leveling your charter,
    but the feeling of experiencing something new,
    those vibes when you first time logged to World of warcraft, first instance, first raid, etc
    your idea is almost same like rereading(re-read, re read?... w/e) a good book for example, you know the story already.
    too much memories tied to my current charters.
    or something

Just go with your intuition and if its going to be a fun new experience for you then do it. Afterall this is a game, its about fun
    I do not kill people...that is my least favorite thing to do! - Carl from Llamas with hats

Lol at everyone who can't be bothered making a new character... guys, this is Lich King. It takes a week to get to 80 and another week to be in full ilvl 277 gear. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I get like this from time to time with alot of games actually, and even my computer. I will completely wipe my hard drive and start over. I've done it several times in WoW and on other RPG games like Mass Effect. I very much enjoy starting over, that clean slate feelings. I say do it, and only look back to reflect on the good times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrsky View Post
    Lol at everyone who can't be bothered making a new character... guys, this is Lich King. It takes a week to get to 80 and another week to be in full ilvl 277 gear. lol
    ... ?

I can't see the point of this. Why not just roll a few new toons? Don't feed them if you want it to be that way. But if you actually are gonna do that, make sure you wait at least a month or so after release, because although blizz always have good intentions, some stuff don't turn out as they expected or for whatever reason they scrap and re-do stuff. (see guild trees and path of titans) So if you delete your toons now only to learn that professions stayed same and <insert expectation that wasn't satisfied>, you may be very disappointed.

Plus, I think there is also a different sort of fun in leveling your existing toons in a new expansion, you're gonna miss that! You really want to miss that?

Not deleting any of my characters, except maybe my Druid which I haven't really leveled. Waiting for Cataclysm to reroll Troll Druid.

Hey, Well... It's all up to you, and your opinion. I would First make the Race/Class you want on a Different realm, and just Test it out for a While Because.... You have no idea What the Leveling Experience will be like in Cata. You may like it or you may Hate it.

Still up to you.