[Holy] Help needed starting

I haven't really got the opportunity to start healing on my paladin yet, as there are certain things I am wondering about. I have read the Holy PvE guide and I have read the guide on EJ, but questions still remain.

I am still not really sure when to use SS. Should it be up on the tank at all times? Should I never heal the tank directly due to BoL? Is HS never to be used in other situations than emergencies?

Also, if it affects anything; I'm a HL focused paladin.

SS should be on your tank at all times, it absorbs roguhly 3000+ damage per proc, very handy.
    However, there is a little trick I use
    If you have a pally tank, and a warrior tank, I usually just SS the warrior, and the pally will keep SS up on himself
    Beacon is more versatile. For single tank fights, I beacon the tank and bomb the raid with HL. FOr double or more tank fights, I beacon one tank, heals the other 1(or 2).

Holy shock is used when moving, or when someone needs an emergency heal RIGHT NOW or else they die
    I guess I'm back? Sighhhh....

SS on the tank at all times indeed. Never heal the person BoL is active on, better heal someone close and it'll splash on to the person for even more heals. HS shouls be used when moving, when someone is really low and needs heals fast or when you need to burst heal someone (for example Holy Light + HS direcly after.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of this, especially the SS on the non pally tank trick.

It is okay to heal the beacon ONLY if you know no one else will be taking damage and the beaconed tank will be taking massive damage (Festergut after 3 inhales), that way you're healing him for twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Elovan View Post
    that way you're healing him for twice as much.
    No, beacon doesn't copy heals on the beacon target, you should be healing a nearby target for splash heal + beaconed heal.

The only exception to the beacon rule is if the beaconed person needs a splat HL RIGHT NOW, because if im not wrong, beacon has a1-1.5 second transfer time, so direct healing would be faster if needed.
    I guess I'm back? Sighhhh....

There are a few things here that I find concerning about the previous replies so allow me to add my insight, (though admittedly to any reader my clout is about the same if not less than the other posters)

First, it is always acceptable to heal the target that you have beacon of light on. If none of the raid is taking damage then please, heal him. If you want to be extra sneaky you can heal yourself for additional benefit from the tier one protection talent that you should be specing into. (Its a trick I use for dreamwalker) On the subject of BoL (forgive my sudden shortening) healing the target of your BoL DOES NOT heal for 2x like one of the posters claims.

Second, SS (sacred shield) your tank no matter what class it is if there is only one & keep it up. If there is a second tank do it on the non-paladin or in the event of multiple paladins the worse geared. Your SS should absorb more than theirs unless they significantly out-gear you. I find it useful to keep the HoT associated with it up at all times as well. Just throw a FoL and you are set for 12 seconds.

Finally, even though you are a Holy Light speced paladin doesn't mean that is your only spell. Don't be afraid to use FoL or HS in times where you know that HL will over-heal. Despite what others may think; paladin mana isn't infinite. There are times when even the most experienced paladins need help. Don't forget to judge and use other cool-downs! They are your friend and I know that many paladins neglect them when they are starting out.
    Last edited by Signis; 2010-06-15 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much what they have been saying. If you can, get VuhDo. It allows you to set up your healframes by role (tank, melee dps, caster dps, heals). I used this on 1 tank fights to spam melee because they are almost always clumped up together to splash healing always goes out. (some fights ranged are same way, so a HL into the ranged can be just as useful). Holy shock is awesome for that instant heal when someones low (vile gas on festergut, slowed in an ooze puddle on rotface, etc). I made a mouseover macro for it, simply because on heroics, where theres little damage going out, it helps to be able to dps with it as well. Really useful on marrowgar during bone storm to keep people up.

Also, if you still run Toc 10/25, you should be the absolute last healer to die. Why? since theres no real tank for that fight, beacon/ss yourself. Raid heal. youll always be at full health, and that shield will help a ton if they do focus you.

Deleted
    Met too many Protardins out there that don`t SS themselves in fact i`ve seen some that say "Where`s SS?" after i ask them to put it on =.=`

Quote Originally Posted by chalmerz View Post
    Met too many Protardins out there that don`t SS themselves in fact i`ve seen some that say "Where`s SS?" after i ask them to put it on =.=`
    It is the sad truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Forcelink View Post
    The only exception to the beacon rule is if the beaconed person needs a splat HL RIGHT NOW, because if im not wrong, beacon has a1-1.5 second transfer time, so direct healing would be faster if needed.
    The Beacon has about a .5 second travel time. I agree, there are times where that .5 seconds will kill your tank, but unless you KNOw that the tank will die in those .5 seconds, you should HL someone close to the tank for the splash healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Signis
    If you want to be extra sneaky you can heal yourself for additional benefit from the tier one protection talent that you should be specing into.
    Beaconed heals doesn't copy the extra % healing the target of your heal is at, but only if it's on the beaconed target.

Lets assume a 10k base heal.
    Example 1. You are speced into 5% extra healing on yourself. Your heal will heal yourself for 10.5k, but the tank for 10k.
    Example 2. You have beacon on the main tank, offtank gets guardian spirit (40% more healing). Your offtank gets healed for 14k, but your MT gets healed for 10k.
    Last edited by Elessa; 2010-06-15 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added examples

Quote Originally Posted by Elessa
    Quote Originally Posted by Signis
    If you want to be extra sneaky you can heal yourself for additional benefit from the tier one protection talent that you should be specing into.
    Beaconed heals doesn't copy the extra % healing the target of your heal is at, but only if it's on the beaconed target.
    Well, thats interesting. I had done some testing in game and found it to be statistically significant. I do trust my numbers but acknowledge your concern and perhaps will do more testing in the future.

That's how it's working for every other spell, that talent could be an exception though. I'm in a raid atm, so will test it right now.

---------- Post added 06-15-2010 at 08:05 PM ----------

Update: It is not an exception.

Copying from my combat log.

Beacon is on out resto druid, healing myself.
    Elioda's Flash of Light heals Elioda for 0 (9173 Overhealed) (Critical)
    Elioda's Beacon of Light heals Tenshisama for 0 (8736 Overhealed)

I have just started healing as a Paladin as well and using the Clique + Grid combo for the first time and was wondering if there are any good guides on how to configure Grid for optimal performance e.g. clearly show health bars, debuffs etc. Just a link would be cool, maybe I missed it somewhere..

thx

why the heck are you guys using icc as an example all the pro's are raiding naxx atm

Quote Originally Posted by Didleydo View Post
    I have just started healing as a Paladin as well and using the Clique + Grid combo for the first time and was wondering if there are any good guides on how to configure Grid for optimal performance e.g. clearly show health bars, debuffs etc. Just a link would be cool, maybe I missed it somewhere..

thx
    Here's what my Grid+Clique looks like, as well as a list of Grid addons i use:
    http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5...0410211524.jpg

I like that it's arranged by my personal priority Tanks > Healers > Melee > Casters. Once in a while where i need to heal a specific group (Twin Valks) i switch it back to sorting by group... and it just looks wrong to me.

My best advice is to be patient. Grid is not an easy mod to configure, VuhDo is probably better for a beginner. But if you are very picky about every aspect of your UI, and are willing to put in the time (learn to love AV, it's the perfect place to tweak/test a new UI), then Grid will be indespensible to you.
    Last edited by nysaa; 2010-06-16 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nysaa View Post
    Here's what my Grid+Clique looks like, as well as a list of Grid addons i use:
    http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5...0410211524.jpg

I like that it's arranged by my personal priority Tanks > Healers > Melee > Casters. Once in a while where i need to heal a specific group (Twin Valks) i switch it back to sorting by group... and it just looks wrong to me.

My best advice is to be patient. Grid is not an easy mod to configure, VuhDo is probably better for a beginner. But if you are very picky about every aspect of your UI, and are willing to put in the time (learn to love AV, it's the perfect place to tweak/test a new UI), then Grid will be indespensible to you.
    Thanks for the reply dude, your UI and grid setup looks sweet and yeah I'm going to put the time in to tweak it to the way I want and need it, and yeah i had better start going AV i guess even though i hate that BG haha

First of all, thank you lots for all your replies. It really helped me out.

I was just sitting here switching out gear I had acquired in the past few days, when I noticed something that truly confused me. I had [Greaves of the Grand Paladin] equipped, with [Luminous Monarch Topaz] in its socket, and switched it out with [Recovered Reliquary Boots]. To my surprise my mana decreased. I just don't understand this. The greaves grant me 58 Int in total, while the boots grant me 66 Int. Either I am missing out on something, or there is something wrong; I doubt it's the latter.

I have tried to set the feet slot empty, and then switch to the greaves to see the difference. The difference was 87 Int, not 58 as I first thought it would be.

Meta gem may not be active with the new boots?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marloss View Post
    First of all, thank you lots for all your replies. It really helped me out.

I was just sitting here switching out gear I had acquired in the past few days, when I noticed something that truly confused me. I had [Greaves of the Grand Paladin] equipped, with [Luminous Monarch Topaz] in its socket, and switched it out with [Recovered Reliquary Boots]. To my surprise my mana decreased. I just don't understand this. The greaves grant me 58 Int in total, while the boots grant me 66 Int. Either I am missing out on something, or there is something wrong; I doubt it's the latter.

I have tried to set the feet slot empty, and then switch to the greaves to see the difference. The difference was 87 Int, not 58 as I first thought it would be.
    Most likely you needed that gem so activate your 21int meta?