Thread: Gargoyle VS DRW

Gargoyle VS DRW

Ok, before people start saying, "use google", I did and all it kept coming up with are other discussions based on the old version of both spells. I am having a hard time trying to figure out weather or not to be blood or Unholy based solely on these two spells. I did some in-game test and the result where, well, circumstantial. I need some new data if anyone has some. Patch 3.3 in consideration with the changes which is better atm DRW or Gargoyle with roughly equal gear.

Thanks
    In life pain is mandatory; Suffering however, is optional...
    Source: Naruto

Deleted
    sim it

Don't get too comfy with what you find out, since DRW will be moved, if not removed (since retadins get something identical) in Cata.

But in all fairness, go with what you think is cooler. Blood and Unholy are both very competitive and use similar stats. You should also think about what unique buffs (be it 13% spell damage or 10% AP) you could bring to any raids you may go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Don't get too comfy with what you find out, since DRW will be moved, if not removed (since retadins get something identical) in Cata.
    yep and it really hurt they let class skills be removed from 1 class and give them to their fav paladin class.

though yes you should sim it and see what comes out of it i dont know if hysteria will effect your drw before you pop it or after you pop it wich would fit in nicely aswel
    Quote Originally Posted by FHNNNG View Post
    Cool next time I'll say LFM ICC25 Need 1 Rape Victim, 4 Rapists, and 3 Therapists.

Hehe thats a lot of rape

don't forget blood is becoming the pure tanking tree, either they'll redesign DRW or just replace it with another spell
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Someone believes the earth is flat, call them stupid.
    Someone believes Andorra is in Africa, call them uneducated.
    Someone believes you can go make coffee in the back of your car because it's set on "autopilot", call them retarded.
    But if someone believes a magical bearded man rewards you with eternal life in the clouds as long as you drink the magical whine-blood of a long dead carpenter in church, don't you dare argue with his beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertue View Post
    I am having a hard time trying to figure out weather or not to be blood or Unholy based solely on these two spells.
    Why on earth would you base your spec decision on 1 talent?

There are many many factors that make the Blood and Unholy trees quite different from one another.
    ie: rotation differences, current gear choices, highest theoretical dps, ...
    Last edited by Wingwraith; 2010-06-15 at 03:14 PM. Reason: additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

gargoyle is better..........

Quote Originally Posted by Vertue View Post
    Ok, before people start saying, "use google", I did and all it kept coming up with are other discussions based on the old version of both spells. I am having a hard time trying to figure out weather or not to be blood or Unholy based solely on these two spells. I did some in-game test and the result where, well, circumstantial. I need some new data if anyone has some. Patch 3.3 in consideration with the changes which is better atm DRW or Gargoyle with roughly equal gear.

Thanks
    The big thing you have to look at is really how each spec plays out as far as gear, rotation. Sure if your running around in full ICC gear you possibly pull off a blood spec since there is so much ArP on gear. But even then Unholy will still post higher dps/dmg done per fight simply based that you have the 13% spell dmg buff plus your also factoring in Sunder Armor from warriors and your own ArP that make Scourge Strike hit for massive dmg.

Plus almost every DK tank at this point in time is blood spec so your not really bringing anything new to the table. The tank already brings Abomination Might for the melee. The 10% ArP that Dundebuns mentioned is a self passive buff to your ArP only. The 13% spell dmg from Unholy is a debuff that effects all spells on that target.

As far as DRW or Gargoyle. Again go Unholy, its the better spec and the easiest to gear up without being to picky on gear. Plus Gargoyle will still attack targets that fly into the air if you (not saying anyone should) use it before an air phase like on Blood Queen.

10+ Year Old Account
    you cant base your talent build off of one talent...
    unholy is better proven by ej

Gargoyle pre wotlk release was a bad ass, 31 point talent, fired like a machine gun, it still hits like a truck but not as fast as it did.

DRW was even bad ass at wotlk release double army of the dead summons, the SAME damage as you.

Gargoyle wins anyhow over it now as DRW does -50& of your dmg.

I really suggest going Unholy or Dw frost, blood can do some really sick numbers but the buffs arent very good plus you need a ton of gear to pull off blood well.

@ OP
    Ehm and why would you want to do it on just 1 talent? :\ I just can't see what the use of it is.
    Let's say (this is an example) DRW by itsself does more damage than a gargoyle, but the entire blood tree is worse so in the end you'll end up with less dps than an unholy spec with gargoyle. What's the use of knowing if DRW by itself is better?

Also, gargoyle will do more damage if you can't attack your target at the same time. Imagine you just popped DRW but because of some random stuff you have to run. Too bad for you, DRW does fuck all, where your gargoyle would still be hitting the target.

Anyway, it's still a weird question where I can't see why you would want to know it
    Last edited by Zao; 2010-06-16 at 07:34 PM. Reason: No Alpha leaks

15+ Year Old Account
    Blood is only really competitive at higher end gear. The entire blood tree is not worse - just far more gear dependent.

EJ kept up with both dps specs until Blood: The Day the Music Died was taken down with the announcement that Blood was becoming the DK "prot tree"

Having been both Unholy and Blood, I can tell you that the advantages/disadvantages are situational at best. While the DRW can only attack when you attack, gargoyle is notoriously buggy and without several macros to assist it to your pet's target constantly it could sit there attacking the wrong prince on Blood Princes (essentially doing nothing) or the wrong target in pvp (essentially hindering your burst damage) - Gargoyle is also killable now and susceptible to cleaves where as DRW is untargetable.

I like blood play style and damage and rotation, and coming from unholy, losing a few pet management macros was nice. I'll be sad to see it go.

Pick which ever spec you prefer, but remember that if you're just starting out Unholy will do more damage and better sustained raid DPS but if you like blood, and have the means to attain gear to make it raid-viable, go for it.

plus you have to consider that DRW is 1.5min CD while Gargoyle is 3mins, so it evens out