Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You were right until you told him to scram and you'll do things your way and whatnot.
    He was trying to HELP. He was an idiot, but it's that idiot's idea of help.
    Next time you should politely tell him that you know how Beast Mastery is good for leveling but you were looking for a different experience by leveling as survival, and don't forget the THANK YOU.
    Seriously, jeez...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    Leveling has always been about min-maxing. It's the worst part of MMOs and the most boring, so is it any surprise that people find out the best method of getting it over with (especially in WoW, where there's NOTHING else to do while leveling aside from.... instances [for experience and gear with which to level] or PvP [for experience and gear with which to level])?

Hell, it's the worst part of any game. There's infinite guides and tips on leveling from Dragon Quest, to Final Fantasy, to Portrait of Ruin, to get you levels as easily, painlessly, and as quickly as possible to get the "grind" over with.

Really, he's not an elitist "idiot" when it's correct. The fact that BM's pretty fucking boring to play aside, he's not an idiot by any stretch of the imagination. He's just right, and you can't handle that he's right, so you're going to act like a child with your "STFU I'M A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE!" and be completely asinine about it. Basically your post boils down to you can't stand being told you're doing something inefficiently and instead of dealing with it like an adult ("Yeah, I know, but I can't stand BM and prefer Survival anyway") you go off the handle like a child.
    So you mean aside from running random instances with people from across your battle group, doing world pvp/random bg's, leveling professions, gathering gold and experience, and generally experiencing the great game world the devs have created for you...theres nothing to do, it is wayyy more boring than staring at the same cold ICC, the same gear everyone else has, and the same specs everyone else has....Leveling is the best part of the game now days imo, its the only time where spec doesnt really matter. This guy sounds like...an elitist idiot to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    you must be kind to those who are ignorant. it's not their fault they're in the dark. shed light into their life.

(he didn't know leveling is actually fun for some people. a la, the journey, not the destination type stuff.)

That is the guys who just read something on EJ or MMOC or other sites, copies whatever they find and have no idea what the spec does or how to really play it.
    You cannot bandage a bleeding target...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    This gets my vote for thread of the month.
    If WoW was "just" a game, you wouldn't be in this forum.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Leveling has always been about min-maxing. It's the worst part of MMOs and the most boring, so is it any surprise that people find out the best method of getting it over with (especially in WoW, where there's NOTHING else to do while leveling aside from.... instances [for experience and gear with which to level] or PvP [for experience and gear with which to level])?

Hell, it's the worst part of any game. There's infinite guides and tips on leveling from Dragon Quest, to Final Fantasy, to Portrait of Ruin, to get you levels as easily, painlessly, and as quickly as possible to get the "grind" over with.

Really, he's not an elitist "idiot" when it's correct. The fact that BM's pretty fucking boring to play aside, he's not an idiot by any stretch of the imagination. He's just right, and you can't handle that he's right, so you're going to act like a child with your "STFU I'M A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE!" and be completely asinine about it. Basically your post boils down to you can't stand being told you're doing something inefficiently and instead of dealing with it like an adult ("Yeah, I know, but I can't stand BM and prefer Survival anyway") you go off the handle like a child.
    I have a friend whose only interest in the game is leveling. It has the most obvious character progression, zone changes, and various stories to follow. He recently let his account close because he filled up the realm we play on with level 80s. Funny Blizzard doesn't see why they might need to add a few extra character slots per realm. There really are people who enjoy the leveling process. My buddy has already leveled a mage to 64 on a friends account since he cancelled his own.

You sound like the sort of person the OP was talking about and only help proved his point further about idiots like you.

I know I'm the 10th person to tell this guy off, but there's another reason he's wrong:
    Leveling as a spec you plan NOT to play at max level hurts your understanding of the class. Some people might claim to master their specs immediately and with no effort, but those people are usually lying or wrong. If you wait til 80 to play a spec, you will be slower to hit your panic buttons and your rarely-used cooldowns. You may forget about certain abilities, or you may screw up your rotation more often, or you may have an awful UI setup, or you may have a harder time figuring out how to gear properly.

I know we've all been in a pug raid or heroic with someone who said "sry 4 wiping the group- i just respecced today lol." Or maybe "haha didn't mean to do that- playing on my brother's toon lol." It's more noticeable when a healer or tank has just picked up that role, but sometimes even dps can make a big difference by having some experience.

Among other things, reaching max level is supposed to be a tutorial. If you don't use it as such, you probably will struggle or under-perform in some way. If you never have a problem, you're either in the minority of incredibly above average players (gratz!) or doing trivial content.

Well its your char so you can spec whatever you want to.

Theres a difference tho if someone does what you experienced and someone who gives you an advice to your spec.

Had a run while being on an alt and some mage joined. He had some rather silly talents so i tried to tell him what he had done wrong and what he could do to fix it (he was even the "ohh look im doing the 1336.5 dpzzz" type).

Been playing my mage for 5 years now, so kinda knew how the class and talents works, tho this guy bluntly ignored my advice and instead called me a noob, retard, idiot etc.

So yeah it depends on who it is and how it comes across. spec is your own choise, but dont be ignorant to advice if someone offeres it to you with good reasoning behind it.

P.S.: I didnt tell him that his spec was wrong (fire) only that he had choosen a few unfavorable talents compared to what else the tree offers.
    Last edited by Mordoran; 2010-06-16 at 10:04 PM.

sounds to me like the person might have just been trying to help.
    Blizzcon 2010+2011+2013+2014+2015 Attendee!
    lvl-110 Zeush(Sen'jin) Orc Fury Warrior(bread and Butter) WATCH BIG CRITS! Raiding Guild Reality Series! http://www.bigcrits.com/site/index.php

10+ Year Old Account
    If this isn't your first character then you should be familiar with the MMO world, which looks something like this:

Listen to what the person had to say because you are interested, or ignore them because you aren't. Coming to the forums for some virtual confirmation that "it's your toon, do as you like" feel good crap is sort of a lame way to do things. We all feel very sorry you had a bad experience, get over it.

I actually like other people's input on my spec especially if it is coming from a member from a well-respected guild on my server. I welcome it as I am not close-minded to other people's critique. It makes me to a second look at my spec and judge whether what they had to say was worthy or not. I'll take it into account the next time I chnage my spec. However, if it something that is totally off-the-wall and assclownish(like PREESTS CAN USED SWWEARDS!!11 LOL L2PLAY NOOB), then I just welcome them to my ignore list.

I usually never comment on anyone else's spec if it's not blatantly obvious the person has no clue what he or she is doing.

Call me elitist but when a tank wields a level 67 axe, a warlock uses defense gems or a hunter dual-wields and melee mobs inside an instance I have to speak up.

If you level with an effient but hated spec (by you that is), then you risk getting bored out, or downright put off by the class. So while the time spent to get to where you end up is shorter, there is a risk of never actually finishing the 'task'. Thus, always, and I mean always, level as the spec you want. Also, as noted by someone before me, if you level in a spec you mgiht end up raiding as, you gain knowledge of the little special stuff.
    While I would say that Survival has too many things that won't really show until you fight stuff that lasts around a minute at a time, it is certainly not bad.

People who want to help approach you with something like: "Hey there, I see you are X spec. Do you mind if I make a suggestion? Or are you using it because you enjoy it more?" Most asshats don't do that and aren't really interested in helping. If you do follow their 'suggestion' (I would call it demands) they will feel happy about themselves, not because they helped anyone, but because they feel superior and the person actually confirmed that to them. "I showed that noob!"
    The main problem these types cause is that people recoil from any suggestion. You can be very kind and non-aggressive in a suggestion and people will blow up, where a simple "I prefer this way" would have been sufficient.

Min/maxing isn't about certain aspects of a game, it's about a mindset and/or playstyle.

Some people just like to maximize efficiency and do what's optimal. It's why they enjoy the game and what they find fun; and because of that, they will apply it to everything they do, including level.

It's like someone who plays the game to joke around with friends and such. Inevitably, being an MMOG, they will end up joking around with others; in the same sense that min/maxers will start informing others what's optimal.
    Last edited by Zookz25; 2010-06-17 at 12:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do alot of min/maxing wile leveling, but thats because i like to get the most out of it. So i make sure i have the best heirlooms, good spec, know my rotation etc. But thats just because i like it that way. If you like to play a spec, or a way that you think is fun, you should do that. As long as it doesn't botter other people its ok. And btw, surv is exelent for leveling after lvl 60, you get the rotation for lvl 80 surv spec right (wich i recommend for instances/raiding at the start), and explosive shot is pretty imba at that lvl, especialy when lock&load procs ^^

all specs are ok, it realy depends of your playstyle.

I like MM because its realy based on your weapon damage, beeing op with the heirloom bow. I tried Survival, it was fun and but less than MM, wich is realy good in bg. Some say that Survival is very good in pvp (while leveling), because most damages ignore armor.

The only "annoying" point of MM and Surv is that both rely on their 51 pt talent, not BM. This is why I suggest you level BM until 60, and then swtich to MM or Surv.

For myself I leveled as MM, going for AImedshot asap, and then Switched to Surv at lvl 27 so I could have 3/3 in "LockandLoad", so I could spam arcane shot.

Then I put the rest of the point in mm, going back to aimed shot. Continued like this, maximising my damage output with points here, and here. And when I could reach an uber talent, or a new rank I respeced. This until 60 where I finlaly put all in MM and critted (at lvl 60 with green and heirloom) wars with Schimera shot for 2k3+1k2=3.5k...

Quote Originally Posted by Baganzai View Post
    If you like to play a spec, or a way that you think is fun, you should do that. As long as it doesn't botter other people its ok.
    Wasn't that exactly what OP did and someone got bothered by it? I find that anyone who plays "for fun" and has a spec that is not cookie cutter or something that you can find on EJ gets abused by other people very quickly. It's one thing to recommend a warlock not to use defense gems and another to go into nerdrage because the warlock like destro better than demonology.

When I'm levelling I like to pick an unusual levelling spec rather than the standard, that and doing zones above your level make it more fun. The rush to get all the way to max level ASAP doesn't really appeal.

BM however, does let me skin while my pet kills the next mob. You don't actually have to do any work yourself.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    im leveling my hunter (currently 57) as mm, simply because i can't stand doing less than my pet does

15+ Year Old Account
    Meh, idiot comes along and annoys you.

Meh, you had an idiot annoy you and now qq about it on a forum.

Meh.
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

Quit trollin' dude.