Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW & the Chinese hackers.

You have probably noticed there is always at least a dozen or so posts on this forum with someone explaining how they got "hacked". It seems people do not understand how this business of key-loggers and phishing scams work.

Most of the people involved in this business are from China due to the currency exchange from WoW Gold > USD ($1) > ($7) CNY. You're definitely not targeted or anything special if your account does in-fact get raided/stolen from you buy these certain individuals.

These are large company's with hundreds of employees that sift through thousands upon thousands of accounts on a weekly basis. Some of these company's have branches within that actually have people creating their own trojans and phishing scams but a lot of them do not. Most of the people actually creating the trojans and sending out all that phishing scam emails are actually people who are just wanting to make a quick buck.

The people sending out the trojans and phishing scams collect hundreds / thousands of accounts over time and then sell these accounts in bulk mainly to a gold-farming company. They then go through every single account and hope to get as much out of it as they can, they may not get much or they may get a lot.

This EXACT thing takes place with stolen credit card information. Only difference is these guys are pretty much not breaking any laws so they can get away with it.

It's a billion dollar industry. Don't take your account getting stolen or raided as some personal attack on you just to annoy you. This a problem everyone has to deal with so if you don't want to deal with it either keep your PC as safe as you can or just stop playing.

If you still don't get it here is a picture of pretty much what it's like, just imagine 5 guys are all chinese and all the crabs are thousands of stolen WoW accounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouni View Post
    You have probably noticed there is always at least a dozen or so posts on this forum with someone explaining how they got "hacked". It seems people do not understand how this business of key-loggers and phishing scams work.

Most of the people involved in this business are from China due to the currency exchange from WoW Gold > USD ($1) > ($7) CNY. You're definitely not targeted or anything special if your account does in-fact get raided/stolen from you buy these certain individuals.

These are large company's with hundreds of employees that sift through thousands upon thousands of accounts on a weekly basis. Some of these company's have branches within that actually have people creating their own trojans and phishing scams but a lot of them do not. Most of the people actually creating the trojans and sending out all that phishing scam emails are actually people who are just wanting to make a quick buck.

The people sending out the trojans and phishing scams collect hundreds / thousands of accounts over time and then sell these accounts in bulk mainly to a gold-farming company. They then go through every single account and hope to get as much out of it as they can, they may not get much or they may get a lot.

This EXACT thing takes place with stolen credit card information. Only difference is these guys are pretty much not breaking any laws so they can get away with it.

It's a billion dollar industry. Don't take your account getting stolen or raided as some personal attack on you just to annoy you. This a problem everyone has to deal with so if you don't want to deal with it either keep your PC as safe as you can or just stop playing.

If you still don't get it here is a picture of pretty much what it's like, just imagine 5 guys are all chinese and all the crabs are thousands of stolen WoW accounts.

How are they not breaking any laws? For example, I've currently been hacked, in the process of getting it back with Blizzard, but I pay via Debit Card on a monthly subscription. They put an authenticator on my account so I cannot even log into battle.net to cancel my subscription, so technically if I never got my account back, I would have to keep paying and couldn't cancel it? How is that not breaking the law?

You being inconvenienced is not breaking any laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    the chinese account hackers are cunts and deserve to have their bollocks put in a vice
    nuff said

They still steal money in some kind of way.

Especially if you have a gamecard on it.

Quote Originally Posted by themiller View Post
    the chinese account hackers are cunts and deserve to have their bollocks put in a vice
    nuff said
    The more of these guys stealing WoW accounts the less there is stealing credit cards.

If by any chance it was impossible for them to make money from MMO currency I reckon we'd see a huge increase in online banking and credit card fraud. They could just as easily get your bank details as they do your WoW information, but they never do worry about your IMPORTANT information as they know they can get extreme jail-time if caught doing that. They have nothing to worry about when it comes to stealing virtual currency though. And as I said you being inconvenienced doesn't mean laws are being broken.
    Last edited by Mouni; 2010-06-17 at 07:29 PM.

Technically the OP must be a kind-of lawyer, since he understands international identity and theft of accounts precedings right? gimme a break, nice conspiracy though. <3

10+ Year Old Account
    You being inconvenienced is not breaking any laws.
    Though they technically don't get my money, they're more or less making it to where I can't stop spending my money from my account by not allowing me to cancel my subscription. So not, it's not 'being inconvenienced'.

Quote Originally Posted by Avey View Post
    Technically the OP must be a kind-of lawyer, since he understands international identity and theft of accounts precedings right? gimme a break, nice conspiracy though. <3
    If you're going to troll and/or flame, at least use the right word. It's proceedings, not precedings. Precedings isn't even a word.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Stealing the thread title for my band name.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Avey View Post
    Ever heard how a WoW account is more valuable than a credit card now?

That's because a stolen WoW account will sell for more on the black-market than a stolen credit number will.

For example a 1000 WoW accounts will get stolen and then sold for $10 a pop, where as a thousand stolen credit card numbers may only sell for $5 a pop. Mainly because most of the stolen credit cards will either be maxed out (without the possibility of over-draw),canceled or already have a fraud-protection system in place.

WoW accounts are much easier and more accessible and they don't have to worry about going to jail by doing it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Titty View Post
    How are they not breaking any laws? For example, I've currently been hacked, in the process of getting it back with Blizzard, but I pay via Debit Card on a monthly subscription. They put an authenticator on my account so I cannot even log into battle.net to cancel my subscription, so technically if I never got my account back, I would have to keep paying and couldn't cancel it? How is that not breaking the law?
    Tell your bank to withhold all payments to blizzard - there fixed.

i'm Chinese xD but, not a hacker ;D anyways.. whats your point? What would you do about it...

Ever heard how a WoW account is more valuable than a credit card now?

That's because a stolen WoW account will sell for more on the black-market than a stolen credit number will.

For example a 1000 WoW accounts will get stolen and then sold for $10 a pop, where as a thousand stolen credit card numbers may only sell for $5 a pop. Mainly because most of the stolen credit cards will either be maxed out (without the possibility of over-draw),canceled or already have a fraud-protection system in place.

WoW accounts are much easier and more accessible and they don't have to worry about going to jail by doing it.
    My point was not debating the *value* of the account, rather the idea that you seem to assert that no laws are being broken. I am no lawyer and never claim to be, I wouldn't know one way or the other. There could be 35 laws being broken here, or none at all. I was just busting your balls for stating they weren't breaking any is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Titty View Post
    So you couldn't place a call to the bank you go through & tell them to refuse any & all payments from blizzard? Not to mention you can call Blizzard's billing department & tell them to cancel payment under that credit card. I've done this before, so please take more than 5 seconds on a reply & realize you have more options. kthxbai

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    i'm Chinese xD but, not a hacker ;D anyways.. whats your point? What would you do about it...
    Don't come here acting all innocent...

10+ Year Old Account
    People are going to eat those crab and they crushing them!

Quote Originally Posted by Stixxz View Post
    People are going to eat those crab and they crushing them!
    It's like bathing in money but smellier!

10+ Year Old Account
    Billion dollar industry ma arse its some we chinese fella in a basement ya tit( no offence) but srsly yeah fair enough thee trying to make money but a couldnt give to fucks if some wee china mans living in the streets half way around the world, he best not be stealin ma account. And how the helll isit breaking no laws? ofc it is there must be a shitload of laws about hacking peoples personal and or owned by a larger compony Ie blizzard, mabye a load of red tape right enough.

And oh yeah. Are you a hacker aye ?
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Honestly, I have to agree with the OP here. Were in an age where people think they can sue who ever they want (hense, whocanisue.com) and any type of harrassment or inconvience is grounds for jail time.

First thing to realize is a lot of this is happening over seas and that makes the law a little cloudy and ALL of it happens on the Internet which is now even harder to claim illegal. I'm no lawyer either but when you have an over seas business working on the Internet I'm sure they could get away with alot more than you could here in America.

For example, you run up to an old lady and steal her purse which has her credit card in it. That's illegal and easy to prove. You, in person, physically stole her money on US soil. Now think about all those torrent companies and websites streaming movies that are still in theaters or an album that hasn't been released yet. These sites are still up and running because they don't follow the same laws we do and since they are international and since it's happening over the Internet there is no grounds for illegal action.

That second example is the gold sellers / hackers.

As the OP has stated this is a multi-billion dollar industry to sell virtual money for real money. This actually has been banned in China but only buying and selling on Chinese soil. There is actually no jurisdiction internationally which is why we in america have seen such an influx of spammers / stolen accounts.

I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games

99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.