Poll: Have you ever played on a private server?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Question Have you ever played on...

A private server?

I know this is quite likely a no go topic for discussion (as the rules state not to talk about: Activities considered illegal by Blizzard Entertainment (botting, hacking, cheating, exploiting,...)), so if this poll is out of line mods, delete it.

***DO NOT DISCUSS PRIVATE SERVERS IN THIS THREAD. THIS IS A POLL AND A POLL ONLY***

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, several. I've even made some myself.

Deleted
    One time, my game time ran out unexpectedly...It was just a BG/arena server though, coudldn't be assed leveling or nothing and I was physically ill

10+ Year Old Account
    I did, and regret doing it.

yes my friend made me... and i got sick for 3 weeks

Most private servers are so bugged and useless they aren't worth playing to be fairly honest.
    I did have a go at creating my own private server during TBC, which I succeeded with, was so totally awesome at the time (was bored of normal wow) spawning ragnaros in the middle of Org, and I also worked out how to make it LAN based too, so me and my bro had a Horde vs Alliance war between Thrallmar and Honor Hold spawning huge armies of guards next to each other, also being about to fly around on the Phoenix, Ashes of Al'ar at 100x running speed. Was a laugh, have never been able to make another one with WOTLK tho :/
    Dear Blizzard,

Please nerf Rock, Paper is ok.

-Scissors

Deleted
    Sounds super boring to me. What's the attraction of a private server? (besides being free)

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Sounds super boring to me. What's the attraction of a private server? (besides being free)
    On someone else's private server it sucks, but self made private servers are pretty fun, you are basically a GM with all the GM commands available, exploring all of wow, with the abilities to fly, move super fast, spawn any item or object ingame, change models, play as Ragnaros, or a sheep, you can do pretty much anything...
    Dear Blizzard,

Please nerf Rock, Paper is ok.

-Scissors

my college roommate was a gm and opened up a private server for a couple days...it really wasn't all that great

I have played a little on my own private server, mostly because I wanted to try it out. Played on it for 2 weeks, then I went back to the real deal. It is a little boring to be alone on a server.

I played on one because 3 of my online friends wanted to get into WoW but didn't want to pay for it. (I still played real WoW during this time, I flipped back and forth.) I really only found it fun at all because I was playing with them. It was obviously really buggy and made some things really OP. I rolled a Paladin and I remember that Judgement Rank 2 was bugged and did like 2,000 damage. Yeah, that isn't a whole lot, but you get Rank 2 at like level 10 so it was amazingly OP.

On top of that, the server was PACKED since it was one of the most popular private servers with a gigantic community. What I found dumb was that every max level player was pretty much fully geared (in Sunwell gear, since this was at the end of BC. In fact, WotLK was released during this time but the private server didn't update for months after.) This was because most of the raid encounters were bugged in some way that made them easier, and every boss pretty much dropped their entire loot table each kill. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure raid lockouts did not apply.

TLDR: Played on one because of friends, was pretty meh.

There's a lot of private servers with huge communities from all over the world where they keep the game as close to live WoW as possible. It's definitely not the same, but if you can't pay, it's a nice alternative. But since I'm so used to live WoW I couldn't play on one for an extended period of time.
    Last edited by Jasper Kazai; 2010-06-19 at 11:35 PM.

I did during tbc, when S4 was released. I wanted to try pvping with another class but no way in hell would I level up another one, and then get geared ^_^

15+ Year Old Account
    If playing your own for exploration/fun purposes counts, then yes.

Never played on a public or "real" one, though.

Well, I have been playing on a Pre BC private server recently, mainly sick of retail, so I thought I would give it a go. Its free, and it's something different.

Never did.

Friends did....They're real accounts got hacked a couple days later.

Before entering to play in 2006 I played in a private server for a few months to "try" the game before coming to live servers.
    Graduated Loremaster and soon to be Historian of Azeroth once the Cataclysm arrive.
    History, Mythology, Lore and Religion: in these topics my knowledge is shown... in-game and in the outside.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...er&cn=Nibelung

15+ Year Old Account
    My first 6 months of wow were priavet servers. I didnt learn anything there but it was fun 2-manning all the raids. 8 hour 2 man cthun ftw

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adyan View Post
    Before entering to play in 2006 I played in a private server for a few months to "try" the game before coming to live servers.
    this ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Gunmist View Post
    Friends did....They're real accounts got hacked a couple days later.
    are you trying to link private realms with getting hacked? Unless your friends were moronic enough to sign up to the private realm using their battle.net details, you can't get hacked by using a private realm.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.