Thread: DK Tank or Dps

DK Tank or Dps

edit: meep
    Last edited by Wraug; 2015-04-18 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Irrelevant

I tried to limit myself to just DPSing on my DK since I, like you, had a warrior tank already. This worked out well until I took a 9-month break and came back right at the release of ICC. At that point I found out I needed to gear up my DK and for a while I just went as DPS, easy enough, I was doing dailies so the que didn't much bother me, blah blah blah.

But then I stopped doing my dailies, got bored, had enough scratch for the time being, etc. So I changed my DW frost DPS spec into a tanking spec and just went to town so that I wouldn't have to wait so damn long to pick up my frost badges every day. It's worked pretty well.

Enough of the cool story, bro. If you like tanking and can learn how to do it well on the DK since the only thing that's really close to being a warrior is how you'll use Rune Strike as often as Heroic Strike, then it's a lot of fun and a much different flavor and resource management system. Far closer to Warrior tanking than Paladin tanking since you can't just auto-pilot it following a 9696 rotation.

So I'd say just give it a shot and see how it works out for you. Hopefully you can be an AH hero and pick up the various crafted tanking bits to give yourself a fast boost to your EH.

DK tanks arent bad, but you're a little hard to be picked in raids.
    You'll mostly want to play the role of a dps as in my experience most pugs dont trust dks to be their tank unless realy well geared.

Quote Originally Posted by teo1234 View Post
    DK tanks arent bad, but you're a little hard to be picked in raids.
    You'll mostly want to play the role of a dps as in my experience most pugs dont trust dks to be their tank unless realy well geared.
    This is pretty much dead on. I've had people decline my ICC10/25 geared dk tank and accept my toc10 geared pally tank instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    So 10 posts and no definitive answer...

TO ELITEST JERKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

My DK is a 5.7 thank and i never get denied to raids. Worst comes to worst, lie about it. No more than 300 points though.

Personally I hate dpsing as melee, particularly as a dk. I love my tanking alt. So do whatever you want

15+ Year Old Account
    I've leveled each tanking class to 80 and tanked with them for a while. (although my Paladin has long switched to Holy, and my Druid was more of a healer to begin with)
    It's really cool for the insta queues, but at lower gear levels it's harder for a tank to find a raid than for a DPS, because requirements for tanks are quite a bit stiffer.

I, as Zao, have also leveled up all kinds of tank classes and i usually start out as a dps/leveling spec wich later on merges more into tanking. And yes the queing time are a big different. I also rly like tanking but im trying to focus on one spec. It makes the emblem-spending alot less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    I've leveled each tanking class to 80 and tanked with them for a while. (although my Paladin has long switched to Holy, and my Druid was more of a healer to begin with)
    It's really cool for the insta queues, but at lower gear levels it's harder for a tank to find a raid than for a DPS, because requirements for tanks are quite a bit stiffer.
    Well that's just the nice thing about how alt-friendly the game is currently. You get some crafted gear - hopefully you can afford the good stuff but take what you can - then you insta-que as a tank to fill in the gaps until you have T9-badge. You farm ToC normal for a while until you pick up the Black Heart, you get the armor trinket from triumph badges and in a day, 3 days if you're lazy, you're good to go for ICC. And that's without even taking SoW/HWS into consideration.

I just love tanking, i have one of every possible tank class at 80 (with the exception of druid which is 71 atm) and i dont ever get tired of it. You may be performing the same role all over again in raids but the mechanics of all the classes are so different its just great to me. Basically what im saying is you should just go with what you love and stick to that.