Recent Forum Posts - whats with this?

Hi,

Since MMO Champion over hauled their website, I dont know why, it looked better before, the Recent Forum Posts section of the main page now shows a line per person that posts in a topic.

This leads to the same topic title being listed more than once. Whats the point!?

Is it not better to show several topics rather then having a list of 5 links all pointing to the same topic because 5 people have posted in that topic in quick succession?

Sorry guys, i love the site for content but the new structur is abysmal.

Hope you can fix it up soon or even better take a backup of the old site and re-deploy it.

Regards,
    Timberwolfe.
    Last edited by Timberwolfe; 2010-06-25 at 10:07 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love people who don't research their complaints almost as much as I love the people who whine about change. This has been posted about 50,000 times in the suggestions forum. It's on the admins' to-do list.

SMF will NOT be coming back. The SMF infrastructure would not be able to handle the site traffic once the Cataclysm NDA is lifted. vBulletin has also given us a better back-end (database structure, requests handling, etc), better mod tools, and an easier way to add things to the site for you guys.

On top of that, have you ever tried using Google Translate to translate something from English to another language and back? Yeah, translating the database from SMF to vBulletin and back would be kinda like that.

VB has sucked since mid 2.x, its a bloated piece of shit. SMF can easily be modded to handle massive loads, I've worked loads with both infrastructures. Mod tools, sure, i'll hand you that one, but ease of handling content? Not a chance.

@ the op, its not your site to run, if you dont like the direction the place is going either make or join an alternative, i for one do not have the time or patience, get used to change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hoonboof View Post
    VB has sucked since mid 2.x, its a bloated piece of shit. SMF can easily be modded to handle massive loads, I've worked loads with both infrastructures. Mod tools, sure, i'll hand you that one, but ease of handling content? Not a chance.

@ the op, its not your site to run, if you dont like the direction the place is going either make or join an alternative, i for one do not have the time or patience, get used to change.
    Yes, you know better than Boubouille and his entire dev team... uh, no.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is now fixed, but I met another problem.

I really liked it when clicking a link in the "recent forum posts" section brought me to the first post of the topic, as it allowed me to read what the fuss was about.

It also, in some way, helped prevent people from reading topic title and plainly responding without reading anything else (retarded in my honest opinion).

Please bring back the click-to-first-post-style of recent posts.
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Yes, you know better than Boubouille and his entire dev team... uh, no.
    Just cause he's Boub doesnt mean he aint wrong or other people cant be smart. I'm sure Boub will agree he's not the smartest person on earth.
    Besides from that, no offense but this topic reeks of a angry mod :S

On topic - not sure if this acually is on topic, but personally i've experienced MMO champ loading up about 5 times slower when i click it.
    Can't say if it's related to the front page having news items from 2 weeks back or what, but it's kinda annoying :S

Deleted
    The recent posts box now takes you to the first unread post in the thread. If you've not seen the thread before, that means it'll take you to the start. If you have seen it, it'll take you to where you left off. I thought this would be more useful than people complaining "Why does it always take me to the end I want to see what the thread is about" or "Why does it always take me to the start I don't want to go back to the last page to see what I missed".

We're still investigating other issues.

im gonna leave this here

Quote Originally Posted by Needonboots
    "Is Frost viable?"

"Not really, it's a long way behind Arcane and Fire"

"FUCK YOU I'LL RAID FROST ANYWAY".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tides View Post
    On topic - not sure if this acually is on topic, but personally i've experienced MMO champ loading up about 5 times slower when i click it.
    Can't say if it's related to the front page having news items from 2 weeks back or what, but it's kinda annoying :S
    Patience, the entire site was redone what were you expecting.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone View Post
    The recent posts box now takes you to the first unread post in the thread. If you've not seen the thread before, that means it'll take you to the start. If you have seen it, it'll take you to where you left off. I thought this would be more useful than people complaining "Why does it always take me to the end I want to see what the thread is about" or "Why does it always take me to the start I don't want to go back to the last page to see what I missed".

We're still investigating other issues.
    While i'm glad that it does this now, on the old layout clicking the thread would bring you to the first post, clicking the "new" button would bring you to the first new post, and it showed the name of the person who posted.
    However, THANK YOU for moving in this direction, good luck figuring everything out~