Thread: Attunements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    bring back TK / SCC, MH /BT, Onyxia attunements!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    bring back TK / SCC, MH /BT, Onyxia attunements!!
    BT attunment was the shit, TK was allright since you did some cool stuff with it and saw some current lore in it. SSC was just plain pointless.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

i kinda hope they do too.
    This signature has been removed due to a violation of the Signatures + Avatars guidelines.

Speaking of Attunements... I think the one for Deathwing should be this...

You send Deathwing a letter, Inviting him to tea...

He'll later respond and say,

"Dear <player>
    I have recieved your invitation and would like to invite you to my home for a chat over a cup of Earl Grey. I do believe this whole issue the mortal races have with me can be settled in a peaceful manner. It's all just been one big unfortunate misunderstanding.
    The key to my fortress is enclosed. My butler will show you in.

Sincerely,
    Deathwing"

When you enter his raid, a Twilight Dragonkin will show you to the dining quarter, where Deathwing in the shape of Lord Prestor will greet you...

He'll offer you a seat, and try to start light conversation about some of the political happenings of your faction...

In response, your raid will flip over his table and try to kill him! His response being "How Rude! I was only trying to find a way to resolve our differences in a civil manner, This is why you mortal races get on my nerves, you're so brash and unsophisticated!"

Lord Prestor will then turn into Deathwing and fly to his throne, sending in the first boss (the butler) to show you ungrateful savages some better table manners... To which you respond with TRYING TO KILL HIM!!! so rude.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spooty View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere, but no. If you talk to anyone who had to do a Vashj kill because a couple of people needed vials, you'll understand why.
    aaah bad times

C.M.S, My favorite thing to start the morning with.

they should make an arena, in which patches of fire pop up at increasing rate and you only have 3 seconds to move out of them. you have to pass this test for 5 minutes and then you're allowed in the raids.

guess that would sort out a good 80% of the players, though

Quote Originally Posted by Redhotdollar View Post
    Now I agree with the BC grinds being absolutely shitty, any thing where you grind anything points especially in the amount they were asking was terrible. On the other hand i think the ony attunement was fun and brought a lot to the story. yeah running BRD a few times etc sucked but i loved storming sw to save the king.
    The Alliance version of the Onyxia attunement was borderline OK: it was a little too long and repetitive, but there were some cool moments that made up for it. The Horde version was just atrocious.

Deleted
    IMO people see things over their head when comparing wotlk and tbc, in tbc you still mainly had to do all raids to get decent gear. if they only make 1 kind of emblem and only blue loot from it better then instance blue's but worse then epic. then you dont need attunements, just skill/gear like u supposed to to raid an decent instance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't read whole thread, so sorry if this has been already posted.

Attunements to return, only if the following conditions for it are met:
    1. Attunements are linked the account, not the character.
    2. They aren't the kind of thing that was around back in TBC - They were lengthy, and while pretty cool with the lore and what not involved, it got annoying eventually.
    2. Once that raid Tier becomes 2 tiers old, the attunement is no longer required. For example, you would need to attune a char for T11 -> then while in T11 you attune for T12 -> while in T12 you attune for T13 -> T13 is released, attunement for T11 no longer required*.
    4. The next tier attunement becomes available a few weeks before the release of the next content patch, so people dont need to wait until everyone is attuned after the patch is released.

Edit: * would also mean that once T12 is available, the attunement to enter T11 isnt needed any longer either.
    Last edited by Jakerel; 2010-06-27 at 07:20 PM.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Quote Originally Posted by Greyy View Post
    Attunements gave an epic feeling to raids. You are raiding the bid bad guy's fortress for god's fucking sake. You shouldn't be able to enter it like it is nothing and start killing things.

Attunements should be back in my opinion. Not super hard(/annoying) attunements, like killing Vashj for vials (that was..... God). But some long quest-chains that don't require much effort guild-wise (but could still require some), but require a bit of effort single-player-wise would be great. They would add lore to the raid you were getting attuned to raid.

Even if you didn't read the quest texts, you'd get to know at least a little the other reason (besides the phat lewtz) why you are going to raid those enemies' lair. Attunements for a raid was like preparing yourself and making yourself look worthy so you can actually join the fight against that big bad guy (like having you do a couple of heroic dungeons), or finding a way to break into the enemy's impregnable fortress (like the Onyxia quest-chain).

TL;DR Attunements should be back solely for the epic (not talking about loot!) factor of the raids. A couple of quests that require effort for a few players (and not for an entire guild) would be awesome, in my opinion.
    same opinion here.I also dont like to fight pixels only for loot or be forced to buy any lore books to understand meaning behind it. If Blizzard are able to make raids for anyone they should also be able to create attunements interesting for everyone.Just my 2 cents
    a cash cow is well established brand, business unit, product, or service, that generates a large, regular, predictable, and positive cash flow. Cash cows are often 'milked' for developing, promoting, or supporting new or struggling counterparts.

Signs of a cash cow

* Product variations
    * Customer segmentation
    * Pricing flexibility
    * Cost reduction
    * Targets specific competitor

I like attunements. Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, even Upper Blackrock Spire had pretty easy attunements.

As much as I hated doing the Onyxia attunement, it wasn't really that bad. Farm some pre tier 1 instance over and over. Hmm. Isn't that what I did anyway to get gear for Molten Core (tier 1).

This was essentially the Kara Attunement as well. Run through some dungeons to do quests. Hell if you wanted you could do them in Normal version. They didn't have to be on Heroic to do the Kara quests. And most of the Kara quests could be solo'd. Tempest Keep on the other hand required Heroics.

No I don't think attunements would have been bad in Wrath if implemented in the right way.

Naxxramas should have required Anjol Nerub, Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom, or possibly the Utgarde Keep and Pinnacle instead.

or maybe rep based like it was for 40 NAxx

Honored with Argent Crusade
    60 Gold, 5 Dream shards 2 Abyss Crystals 1 Frozen orb

Revered with Argent Crusade
    30 Gold, 2 Dream shards 1 Abyss Crystal

Exalted with Argent Crusade
    Free

Ulduar should have required at least a single run of Heroic Halls of Stone and Halls of Lightning plus the Sons of Hodir quest chain in Storm Peaks. Who didn't do that chain on an alt for the shoulder enchant?

Eye of Eternity should have required a run through Nexus and Oculus. Come on, if you couldn't kill Ley Guardian Eragos you weren't killing Malygos.

Trial of the Crusader should have required Trial of the Champion as it's attunement.

Icecrown Citadel should have required Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection as it's attunement.

As you can see the attunements I suggested were nothing more than running the instances and or quests you are already running for badges and gear. Adding a quest or two on top of that surely wouldn't have been a stretch.

Attunements are not evil, the way they get implemented or what they require can be horrible though.

Black Temple is the worst. Trying to get an alt ready for Black Temple basically required you to have raided all previous content. Heroics to be attuned to Kara and TK, Heroics+mag+gruuls to be attuned to SSC, SSC+tk to be attuned to hyjal, SSC+tk+hyjal to be attuned to Black temple.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2010-06-28 at 05:37 AM.

no thanks . mayby fun on main but on alt its boooooooring

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    yes pls;

Naxx should have required some questline
    Ulduar should have required Hos and HoL hc (+questline)
    ToC should have required the 5 man (+questline)
    ICC should have required ToC raid (up to Twin Valkyr) and the ICC 5 mans

All of these get pugged so I don't see any problem

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    I like attunements. Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, even Upper Blackrock Spire had pretty easy attunements.

As much as I hated doing the Onyxia attunement, it wasn't really that bad. Farm some pre tier 1 instance over and over. Hmm. Isn't that what I did anyway to get gear for Molten Core (tier 1).

This was essentially the Kara Attunement as well. Run through some dungeons to do quests. Hell if you wanted you could do them in Normal version. They didn't have to be on Heroic to do the Kara quests. And most of the Kara quests could be solo'd. Tempest Keep on the other hand required Heroics.

No I don't think attunements would have been bad in Wrath if implemented in the right way.

Naxxramas should have required Anjol Nerub, Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom, or possibly the Utgarde Keep and Pinnacle instead.

Ulduar should have required at least a single run of Heroic Halls of Stone and Halls of Lightning plus the Sons of Hodir quest chain in Storm Peaks. Who didn't do that chain on an alt for the shoulder enchant?

Eye of Eternity should have required a run through Nexus and Oculus. Come on, if you couldn't kill Ley Guardian Eragos you weren't killing Malygos.

Trial of the Crusader should have required Trial of the Champion as it's attunement.

Icecrown Citadel should have required Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection as it's attunement.

As you can see the attunements I suggested were nothing more than running the instances and or quests you are already running for badges and gear. Adding a quest or two on top of that surely wouldn't have been a stretch.

Attunements are not evil, the way they get implemented or what they require can be horrible though.

Black Temple is the worst. Trying to get an alt ready for Black Temple basically required you to have raided all previous content. Heroics to be attuned to Kara and TK, Heroics+mag+gruuls to be attuned to SSC, SSC+tk to be attuned to hyjal, SSC+tk+hyjal to be attuned to Black temple.
    I agree, but I think that attunements should require something from the previous tier of raiding other than just a quest line. Like you need the head of Yogg-Saron to show the people at ToC that your guild is strong enough to compete. At least, until the raid is two tiers old. Like, the guild needs to kill Yogg-Saron before it can go on to ToC. To keep guilds from getting too far behind they could implement a buff/nurf system like they did in BC and ICC that increased over time. This would allow guilds to experience pretty much the entire content without feeling like you skipped content. It would allow guilds to feel like they really saved the world.
    Last edited by Filiecs; 2010-06-27 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filiecs View Post
    I agree, but I think that attunements should require something from the previous tier of raiding other than just a quest line. Like you need the head of Yogg-Saron to show the people at ToC that your guild is strong enough to compete. At least, until the raid is two tiers old. Like, the guild needs to kill Yogg-Saron before it can go on to ToC. To keep guilds from getting too far behind they could implement a buff/nurf system like they did in BC and ICC that increased over time. This would allow guilds to experience pretty much the entire content without feeling like you skipped content. It would allow guilds to feel like they really saved the world.
    That is the worse thing to do.

I like that going into the dungeons that is near the raid is needed for attunements.

Trial of the Crusader should been needed to in order to enter Trial of the Champion where as Trial of the Champion is needed for Trial of the Grand Champion.

Each time Blizzard give us a new dungeon, they give the player a new stepping stone; 219 (ToC 5 man), 232 (FoS,PoS,HoR). Someone with all 232 can go into ICC 10 man, even if they have 4 T9 232.

I think you need to think deeper and keep the raid out of the attunements. I think dungeon run is a better way to do it, not raid. Raid run would only unlock Heroic Mode if you kill the last boss of that raid.

To unlock all the raid dungeon you would need to do all the dungeon that blizzard offer.

I don't know if I full agree with requiring previous tier content for new raids.

Yogg was cock block for most guilds. Then entire TOC was easier than Yogg.

Why do people keep telling me: Oh if you talk to someone who had to do the bc atunnements you would understand why we hate em. Well i did do those attunements and they did suck but that is what made them so good. Atleast you knew that the people you had in your raid/guild were people that worked hard and put an effort into their things and you knew they were gonna work just as hard to kill a boss. But in WOTLK everyone kind of of people can enter the raid and he could he fully decked out in gear but there is just no way to tell if he is going to perform well or not.

Personally, I like the attunement for Kara, it was not overly difficult, it gave you a sense of accomplishment, and your alts could get it done without TOO much trouble. The attunement for Molten Core was another one that I could agree with. Attunments were more or less a way to keep people out of a certain area while content was developed. Now, the content is released and is physically not present until the developers choose making the need for attunements obsolete. I would say that having to finish X quest before you can do X raid is a better approach than just having the skill/gear to do said raid, but it is unnecessary in the current WoW structure.
    Shiny shiny epics. NO NO, look with your eyes, not with your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrsour View Post
    Why do people keep telling me: Oh if you talk to someone who had to do the bc atunnements you would understand why we hate em. Well i did do those attunements and they did suck but that is what made them so good. Atleast you knew that the people you had in your raid/guild were people that worked hard and put an effort into their things and you knew they were gonna work just as hard to kill a boss. But in WOTLK everyone kind of of people can enter the raid and he could he fully decked out in gear but there is just no way to tell if he is going to perform well or not.
    Or you know that they were just one mouth-breathing troglodyte in a group with 24 other people that could do his job for him. Attunements were not a test of skill, they were a test of tedium. Frankly, if Blizzard was to reintroduce anything of the sort, it would need to be guild-wide. If the guild, as a whole, complete the attunement, then everyone has access to it. Either that, or you base it on an account-wide basis so that one person doesn't have to do the thing over and over again for alts.

It's ridiculous to pick up a quality player and then have to stomach through old, forgotten content just to get him through attunements. It's not fun, it's not a test of skill; it's a lesson in why gathering professions can be a kick in the nuts sometimes: Tedium. It would be GREAT to see more epic questlines put in, but they shouldn't be required to raid the instance. They should be there for the people that want more Lore or a fancy tabard to throw on when they go to raid the bad guy's lair; it should be something to make characters feel that they're a part of the story, but needless requirement tends to just make people complain.

You say, at the end of this expac, that TBC attunements were "good". I know, for a fact, that if in Cataclysm they brought that back, everyone would bitch about how Wrath sans Attunements was "so much better".

Basically, what we need is an optional questline for dedicated players, but we don't need attunements. They're not a show of skill...Now, actually downing a boss in current endgame? I'd say that's a show of skill and means you're worthy of a spot in my raid. If you have problems with situational awareness though? Get the fuck out.

Blizz got rid of them for a reason, and it was so people would stop making stupid threads like this about useless time consuming BS.
    Smile