Heirlooms in Cataclysm

Hi, I didn't really get the whole concept of emblems and heirlooms in upcoming Cataclysm, so I want to ask you: Is it worth to save current emblems (of frost and triumph) til Cata and hope that Blizz refunds them into something useful or could I buy some heirloom items for characters I am going to make when Cata begins?

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume that it wouldn't hurt to save them. I have some toons that I have emblems with that I will never use because I either have gear or such a low number of Frost badges that I will never use them for anything.

Just buy the heirlooms now for new toons. They will work 1-80. You'll need all the level 85 badge/embleums/points for level 85 gear.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

You will not be able to "upgrade" old 80 emblems into an 85 currency. Just like you could not use the level 70 Badge of Justice to buy level 80 stuff.

Blizzard wont refund any emblems or convert them at all come cataclysm, they didn't with TBC's BoJ. There is no reason too. Can't imagine why you thought they'd do anything with them. They'll remain currency only for the current items.

Of course you can buy heirlooms for toons you'll level in cataclysm, you'll just need to replace them with cataclysm blues for those toons at level 80 when they stop scaling and will not provide the exp boost for the final 80-85.

To reiterate, the current heirlooms will still be awesome for levels 1 to 80. After that you'll use a quest reward/dungeon drop etc.
    Current emblems will not buy any cataclysm items.

If you have any surplus emblems, convert them in to gems and sell sell sell, they'll be completely worthless in Cataclysm after you've bought any L1-80 heirloom items you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    What he said ^..

Use frost on sarnite and sell. Don't downrank those. Even at 85 saronite will still sell to people trying to make shadowmourne.
    Pondering returning.

i vaguely remember a blue post saying something along the lines of "we are looking into possibly rewarding players for the emblems they have accumulated"

so there might be some incentive to stockpile frost/trimuph. but no you will not be able to buy the 85 heirlooms with any amount of frost/triumph badges. they said you will buy them with the new "badges"
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Thx, I thought I saw a bluepost where they claimed, that current emblems can be somehow used in Cataclysm, but probably I was wrong.
    I'll just buy heirlooms for my future priest then

As the front page said, Blizzard is planning on removing the experience bonus from current heirloom items. This means, I wouldn't buy the chest or the shoulders for any goblin/worgen characters and wait to see which items in Cata will have the xp boost.

You may have to replace other items that currently don't have xp bonuses with ones that do (say weapons), but at least you know now that chest and shoulders won't have that amazing increase to xp.

Quote Originally Posted by Suture View Post
    As the front page said, Blizzard is planning on removing the experience bonus from current heirloom items. This means, I wouldn't buy the chest or the shoulders for any goblin/worgen characters and wait to see which items in Cata will have the xp boost.

You may have to replace other items that currently don't have xp bonuses with ones that do (say weapons), but at least you know now that chest and shoulders won't have that amazing increase to xp.
    The way I read the bonus exp would remain 1-80, but it's moot anyway since you can simply just hold off on buying the heirloom items until the 4.0 patch hits to be sure(or await blue clarification).

Quote Originally Posted by Suture View Post

They wont grant the XP boost when leveling from 80 to 85.
    They'll still work from 1 to 80, XP boost and stats scaling included.
    Last edited by Crow_eyeS; 2010-06-27 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    People playing games for fun, the BASTARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Crow_eyeS View Post
    They wont grant the XP boost when leveling from 80 to 85.
    They'll still work from 1 to 80, XP boost and stats scaling included.
    Oh wonderful. I am glad I read that wrong. I have a lot of heirloom gear right now I was not looking forward to replacing.

For the record, the heirloom items do not simply "stop scaling at 80". If they are equipped on a level 80+ character they become 0 durability. You cannot even use them for the level 80 stats. They break, and even if you de-equip them they remain broken until repaired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzles View Post
    For the record, the heirloom items do not simply "stop scaling at 80". If they are equipped on a level 80+ character they become 0 durability. You cannot even use them for the level 80 stats. They break, and even if you de-equip them they remain broken until repaired.
    Troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzles View Post
    For the record, that's completely untrue. I'm not sure where you saw this. The front page has the current (true) information on this. Heirlooms can be equipped (and may even scale) past 80, but won't grant an experience boost.

Yeah....heirloom gear has no durability champ. So they can't be repaired.
    Pondering returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll View Post
    Just buy the heirlooms now for new toons. They will work 1-80. You'll need all the level 85 badge/embleums/points for level 85 gear.
    this ^

well uh, if you read the new blue posts on the main page it says that they are taking the experience bonus away from Wotlk heirloom gear.... o.O

I believe blizzard said that even the experience bonus of the 1-80 gear will stop functioning for 80-85. However, they also said some Cataclysm heirlooms will be made for different slots, this means for 1-80 you could have even more BoA than you do now for that span. Overall, blizzad won't let badges be upgraded so spend them. Can't wait to see the poor new players in leveling battlegrounds with people who have several pieces of heirloom gear.