Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Rogues That Trinket Your Sap

I was just curious about this, because I've seen this a lot, and I just have to /lol, /cast sap when this happens.

To the rogues out there: How many times have you seen another Rogue trinket your sap?

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    8 times probably 7 and a half

lol. I'm just curious as to why any class (ESPECIALLY a Rogue) would ever think to trink a sap. I obviously have you targetted, I'm obviously about to open on you. I cannot count the times that I've already annihilated another Rogue simply from such a scrub waste of a trink.

Deleted
    A better question would be how many insta-loggs after that duel?

Most of the situations I'm referring to, actually happen inside Battlegrounds. This might be part of the problem, seeing as how you're likely to get one or more "pve heroes" as your enemy. Of course, meaning they aren't very familiar with pvp strategies, causing them to trinket a sap. However, I have ran into at least one Rogue on multiple occasions that trink'd my sap every...single..time. But what I'm really curious about is if this is a widely used mistake, or if it just seems to be a few choice scrubs in my battlegroup (Cyclone US).

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not only Rogues trinket Sap but many Classes.

Of course. Not trying to pin down one class. But the point I was trying to make, is, being a Rogue, and knowing your own abilities, you should be less likely to make such a mistake. However, my main is a mage, and I learned early on to never trink or blink from a sap. But hey, I also read forums (obviously), and always look for ways to get the upper hand against another class. The classic trinket of sap is something that still makes me laugh.

I have. Like once. And it was actually a smart move

But yes, trinketing a sap usually makes no sense, unless it's a duel and you blind the other rogue out of stealth
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffymuffins View Post
    Most of the situations I'm referring to, actually happen inside Battlegrounds. This might be part of the problem, seeing as how you're likely to get one or more "pve heroes" as your enemy. Of course, meaning they aren't very familiar with pvp strategies, causing them to trinket a sap. However, I have ran into at least one Rogue on multiple occasions that trink'd my sap every...single..time. But what I'm really curious about is if this is a widely used mistake, or if it just seems to be a few choice scrubs in my battlegroup (Cyclone US).
    In Battlegrounds it's not always a mistake to trinket out of sap.

First, you have to realize that opening on the target you've sapped isn't always the best choice for a rogue. A lot of times, you sap someone you want out of the fight, then target the larger threat (i.e. Sap the Healer, Open on DPS or vice versa if you know the healer is softer than usual). In many flag capturing BG's, you might sap to grab or contend a flag.

As with pretty much anything else in PvP, it's completely situational.

This is true. And I've used this strategy many times to "take someone out of the fight". And you're right, it's situational. But more specifically, I'm trying to pin-point the situation where we're both out in the open, just the two of us. Say, I sap a rogue out of stealth in mid in WSG, and there's no other players around atm.

soetimes can be a good idea if u get that blind off

Quote Originally Posted by boxxylol View Post
    soetimes can be a good idea if u get that blind off
    This. If, the moment you sap them, you appear (happens sometimes if you sap from the front or side of their character) they can trinket-blind-vanish, causing you to have to either trinket-vanish (and now you're both on even ground again) or get opened on.

In BGs I will often trinket a sap simply because I know I was only sapped to slow me down... usually because the rogue is either going for an objective, or has already popped out and opened up on somebody else instead. BGs are pretty different from the PvP microbox that is arena. In BGs trying to trinket out of a stun in the middle of a clusterfuck is probably a wasted trinket, because chances are you're being focused down and there's no healer around to save you. Though I say this speaking from a hunter's perspective where the only thing that will save me in a BG clusterfuck is deterrence, and that's only if it's up.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2010-06-29 at 07:01 PM.

About as dumb as Rogues who blow vanish after blinding someone. Hello....you can run or sprint away, get out of combat and just stealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    About as dumb as Rogues who blow vanish after blinding someone. Hello....you can run or sprint away, get out of combat and just stealth.
    Again, not a dumb move against anyone who has a trinket or classes that can get out of CC without trinkets (like a Pally bubble). And you're not likely to get far if your Sprint is on CD.

Common theme here is EVERYTHING is situational.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    In BGs I will often trinket a sap simply because I know I was only sapped to slow me down...
    In bgs it's almost completely pointless to use a pvp trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Mclachlan View Post
    In bgs it's almost completely pointless to use a pvp trinket.
    I use it for the buttloads of free resiliance, the cooldown is a bonus feature. The extra resilience allows me to hold onto set bonuses in PvE gear, which is helpful in BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jest View Post
    Again, not a dumb move against anyone who has a trinket or classes that can get out of CC without trinkets (like a Pally bubble). And you're not likely to get far if your Sprint is on CD.

Common theme here is EVERYTHING is situational.
    Obviously I'm referring to the Rogues who instantly vanish after a blind or get to 30 some yards away and then vanish. Both of which are dumbdumb moves. First example you're blowing it too soon - wait to see if they trinket/remove it. Second example is the worst - at that distance your either already out of combat or near out of combat.
    Last edited by Cerus; 2010-06-29 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

If he isn't spec'd properly and I can target him as he tries to move away, I will in order to drop a DoT or Bleed on him.

I appreciate all the feedback on this thread. I'll admit, after seeing a few responses, I expected to get flamed in some way, or see someone pop out and post "lol, u nub, I always trinket sap, and then do x move" etc. Glad that didn't happen ^_^.

But since we got into the topic of a vanish/blind combo, I'll agree that, like everything else, it's situational.
    One thing that just ran through my mind though: Would a vanish/cheapshot macro be viable? Meaning, if I made a macro similar to
    #showtooltip Vanish
    /cast Vanish
    /cast Cheapshot

Could that possibly work if I was behind my target? Of course it would be a rare, situational macro at best. Just curious.