Page 1 of 3
LastLast

A more intelligent read than the latest QQ

(Be advised you're about to be hit with a CRIT WALL OF TEXT - TL;DR an anthro essay discussing cultural differences between Starbucks and Tim Hortons)

We have to do 2 "project papers" in my anthro course - 1000 word "essays" long answers.

One of the options is:
    Comparing retail cultures.
    "go into two stores in the same category; e.g. Superstore and Safeway, Rona and Home Hardware, McDonalds and Burger King, etc. How do the cultures and experiences differ and what constitutes the difference?

So, I'd like to share my essay. For no other reason than I found it interesting, and maybe one of you guys would too. I know it doesn't belong in the General forum on WoW discussion, but it didn't really fit in any of the Off-Topic options either. Damned if you do, damned if you don't sorta deal. But anyway, figured it might be a more interesting read than the QQ servers aren't up yet...

THE ESSAY!

From a consumer stand point, the culture of a business is often a little-thought-of concept. We often associate a business in terms of our goal, and as personal goals vary very little, you may perceive two companies as very similar when their culture as actually very different. I took the liberty of spending forty minutes in both a Tim Horton’s and a Starbucks on a Tuesday morning to observe and compare the cultural experiences of both.

The entrance and the line were the first things noted. When walking into the Northland Mall Tim Horton’s at 6:40 am, the first thing seen are three posters hung from the ceiling. Two advertise new products and the third advertises a children’s summer camp that Tim Horton’s has been raising funds for. You approach the store from the spacious mall hallway and take a place in line. As you wait, you are directed through a taped off portion of the store. Menus are hung on metal brackets from the ceiling and hanged in a way to assist viewing. The boards are black with white writing and backlighting to increase the contrast and make reading easier. A television screen displays luscious visions of their food products, while occasionally promoting children fundraisers. A brightly lit glass case holding fully stocked baskets of food sits before you. At this point, you’re suddenly much hungrier than you had been minutes before, and you’re likely to add something unintended to your order.

Comparatively, Starbucks had a very different initial experience. You enter through two sets of small glass double doors. There is a sprayed image on the first door, and a bulletin between the two sets advertising their new frappucino. Admittedly, I did not take note of either of them until I began looking. There is a short distance from the door to the counter, where a brightly lit glass case displays some baked goods. There is also an alcove on the right where shelves host mugs, coffee, and various other Starbucks products. It was in poor design: the alcove was blocked by a daily shipment, there was insufficient lighting, and no reason to pass by the products unless actively looking. Menus are hung on the shelving behind the counters: black writing on white background. They have moderate lighting, and are not as easily read as the Tim Horton’s Menus. What I ordered was exactly what I expected to order.

The ambiance and the general theme of color and textures differed between the two chains. Tim Hortons was very “industrial”. The textures consisted of metal, medium colored wood, and tile. The floor was a grey-brown granite tile; counters, seating, and tables were metal and wood; and the behind counter structures were predominantly metal. Coupled with the overall bright lighting, it presented a very cold, uncomfortable environment. This did, however, contribute to it being very clean and polished looking. The only sounds were those of the tellers and customers. However, there were eight round tables and a bar counter with raised seats – large, and relatively close together, which could signify the importance of communal interaction. Several plant pots were hanged from the ceiling, and there were four posters: one was a hand-made thank you to customers for the support with the children’s camp fundraiser; two others illustrated the benefits of summer camps for children; the last depicted a litter filled park view and stated “when it doesn’t belong, it stands out – please help keep the community clean”.
    There were also two clocks in easy view for customers. Though the direct environment seemed to discourage lingering, and was more streamlined to clean and efficient delivery of your morning coffee so you can be on your way, Tim Hortons’ seemed to put in the effort to show they were a part of your community and a part of your daily life.

Starbucks had a very different physical environment. Although the fundamental textures seemed to be similar – wood, tile, and metal – it was used in such a way to make the surroundings feel warmer and more inviting. The tables were smaller and spread farther apart to allow closer personal contact with friends and avoid the closeness of strangers. The wood and tile textures used were a darker, more rustic style, closing in the space to feel more comforting and warm. Low key, modern music played from surround sound speakers, and several art pieces are hanged on the walls. The lighting enhanced the relaxing atmosphere – dim yellow and red hanging lights. Most of the special lighting was actually natural light from the large windows, which really gave way to a natural, calming feeling. Wicker baskets holding products added another “homey” texture. A black painted, high vaulted ceiling offered a certain amount of openness and breathing room, while giving security at the same time, and newspapers and magazines were left on the tables for customer viewing pleasures. A bulletin board advertised local art galleries, fair trades and local cultural events. Comfortable armchairs were moved off to a corner, and the lack of any clocks gave the offer to stay without the need to hurry. Compared to the Tim Hortons’ seating area, Starbucks had a very inviting, relaxing atmosphere focusing on the arts and the importance of developing your unique image.

One of the most striking differences between the two chains, however, was the people: employee and customer alike. In the Tim Hortons’, a smiling teller greets you with a hearty “good morning!” She takes your order and directs you to the pick-up counter and wishes you to “have a great day”. It was interesting to see that every employee was female and there was a very diverse ethnicity ranging from Caucasian to Chinese to Japanese. The manager could be seen taking and filling orders along with the floor workers, and even took several breakfasts out to gentlemen socializing in the seating area. It really promoted equality among fellow members of the community and the importance of strengthening those ties. At the Starbucks, the employees were all men in their mid to late 20s. There was very little interaction between customers and tellers, and he who prepared the drink didn’t interact with the customers at all. This could be portrayed as either a cool indifference to customers, or a healthy respect for one’s privacy.

The customers intrigued me the most. It was here that stereotypes were tested. If you go to Tim Hortons, you’re typically portrayed as being middle class and wanting to get your coffee and go as fast as possible. Whereas with Starbucks, since there is a cost increase, you are viewed as upper class and “snooty”. Tim Hortons’ stereotype was for the most part true. The majority of the customers were middle aged and middle class, wearing jeans and a casual to semi-casual top and coat. Typically, they left immediately upon retrieving their purchases. Men and female were equally represented. The majority were Caucasian, though there were some African American members also. Those that sat to socialize were in their late50s-60s and sat in groups: either a group of men, or group of women. This was highly contrasted by the Starbucks customers who also defied the stereotype. There were more upper-class customers, certainly (a few even in full suits), but the ratio of middle to upper class was heavily weighted to the former. In addition, there was a higher representation of those dressed in very casual gym shorts and sleeveless t-shirts than seen at Tim Hortons. Starbucks also had an increase in the number of Asian customers. Those that chose to sit afterwards were also typically the younger customers, and sat in pairs or solitarily, rather than groups like those at Tim Hortons. There was certainly a larger-than-expected variation between the clientele of each store.

By taking the time to step back and observe out surroundings with an alternative state of mind, we are able to breech our assumptions and close-minded conclusions. Previously, since I went to either store with the same goal in mind – the purchase of a coffee – each store was the same to me, more or less. I was ignorant of the vast differences in culture, style, and even customer base. I’m not satisfied here, however. Many questions have arisen: are the cultures within a store the same? Does every Starbucks and every Tim Hortons project the same experience? What are the experienced culture differences should you go at a different time of day? A different day of the week? Of the year? Why do customers pick one over the other? I noticed also that the Starbucks did not have wheelchair access – would this affect the customer base of those that are physically challenged? The questions are now endless, and my mind has been opened to a new way of seeing.

(no editting done at this point - no hate please)
    Last edited by felinapian; 2010-06-29 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo in the first line, lol

Tim Hortons > Starbucks

Yes, I did a TL;DR.

lol. I do agree, though.

I would like the add that the subs from Tim Hortons are the bomb!
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

as a canadian i am obliged to support tim hortons

however even if i werent canadian i would still support it since most of their shit is way better than starbucks' plus they have good donuts and sammiches

Very interesting.

Not to flame, but ending with questions, in my mind, is like ending a day at the factory with product still on the line. If you have questions, they need to be answered, otherwise a more thought out conclusion should be drawn from the data that you do have.

It also seems like you state the purpose of the assignment multiple times, but that should be obvious to anyone who takes it on. And one more pet peeve with writing is this particular line.

By taking the time to step back and observe out surroundings with an alternative state of mind, we are able to breech our assumptions and close-minded conclusions.
    Whom are you refering to when you say "we"? I know my conclusions certainly are not close-minded! In fact, my assumptions were 100% correct. While I, hx9, may not personally believe what I just wrote, there are people that do, and you're putting words in their mouth.

Otherwise, the content and data you collected was, though not perfectly organized, very informative. It is clear you did the leg work required and were able to get something out of it. One last gripe...

my mind has been opened to a new way of seeing.
    Yikes! Hopefully you would be able to add this to the end of every research paper. If not, you probably didn't do something correct.

TLR => Good data, very interesting, but very bad final paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by hx9 View Post
    Not to flame, but ending with questions, in my mind, is like ending a day at the factory with product still on the line. If you have questions, they need to be answered, otherwise a more thought out conclusion should be drawn from the data that you do have.

It also seems like you state the purpose of the assignment multiple times, but that should be obvious to anyone who takes it on. And one more pet peeve with writing is this particular line.

Whom are you refering to when you say "we"? I know my conclusions certainly are not close-minded! In fact, my assumptions were 100% correct. While I, hx9, may not personally believe what I just wrote, there are people that do, and you're putting words in their mouth.

Otherwise, the content and data you collected was, though not perfectly organized, very informative. It is clear you did the leg work required and were able to get something out of it. One last gripe...

Yikes! Hopefully you would be able to add this to the end of every research paper. If not, you probably didn't do something correct.

TLR => Good data, very interesting, but very bad final paragraph.
    Agreed. Like I said, not editted. Conclusions have never been my strong point >.< The 'we' was speaking from the class' PoV, building on topics we had already discussed in lecture. I had to cut it short, as well. We have a 1000 word limit, and this was already reaching the 1500 mark. The questions were posed because I'm used to biology labs and research where you're actually required to include a paragraph of questions and topics that could be further researched and expanded upon.

I'm actually thinking of taking this a step further (obviously editting) and discussing the symbolic differences between the products (foods, beverages, etc) offered. I was speaking with a friend who happened to work at Starbucks, too, and she mentioned that Starbucks orients itself around the "Third Place" I think is what she referred to it as. Basically first is home, second is work, and third is your getaway. I wouldn't mind looking for into that.

random question from random guy : what is this thread about and what does it have to do with WoW?
    a cash cow is well established brand, business unit, product, or service, that generates a large, regular, predictable, and positive cash flow. Cash cows are often 'milked' for developing, promoting, or supporting new or struggling counterparts.

Signs of a cash cow

* Product variations
    * Customer segmentation
    * Pricing flexibility
    * Cost reduction
    * Targets specific competitor

There's a TL;DR note up at the top for you, hon. Everything is already explained if you had taken the time to read the section before the essay began.
    Last edited by felinapian; 2010-06-29 at 07:37 PM. Reason: needs to l2spell

They should nerf starbucks servers... they the only reason i even enter one. I think you've had really bad experience with your servers...

tim hortons - barely speak english and dont bother to ask some things (like do you want that bagel toasted?)
    starbucks - well spoken and well mannered... also the ladies are hot as hell.
    It's just a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tim Horton > Starbucks obviously even though they're not focused on selling the same product.

I'm American and I support Tim Horton's.
    Soviet Russia was merely a setback!

Relys Sunwalker
    Rakzor Frostwolf
    Descle Dubraig

kk,basically you are talking about difference between S*and T*M* customers and company strategies,am i right?
    nothing new for me,tomorrow i´ve got marketing exam to do (really).
    imo questions at the end of essay are never good,they sound nice but they also show things you didnt understood or didnt answered with an essay
    a cash cow is well established brand, business unit, product, or service, that generates a large, regular, predictable, and positive cash flow. Cash cows are often 'milked' for developing, promoting, or supporting new or struggling counterparts.

Signs of a cash cow

* Product variations
    * Customer segmentation
    * Pricing flexibility
    * Cost reduction
    * Targets specific competitor

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Deadmines, Westfall, Eastern Kingdoms, Azeroth
    What is Tim Hortan's.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    As you're editing I would advise you to carefully examine where you're extrapolating or assuming conclusions from observations. As the end of your essay reveals, your samples were relatively small (certain time of day on one day, one store location, etc) and it is just as stereotypical to draw conclusions based on that as it would be to walk in with no personal experience.
    I definetely agree, which is why I mentioned it at the end. Unfortunately, as a participation paper, I can't exactly spend the multiple months required to collect a sufficient amount of data (especially since the course itself is only 5 weeks >.<). That being said, I'm thinking of carrying this forward and completing a proper analysis just for curiosity's sake.

As to the rest of the points, thank you very much. I hadn't thought of the pov swap (and yea, I always try to avoid "I", but I'll likely just change the paper to first person perspective if it's now accepted - makes it a bit easier.

And I'll be sure to add in the note as to why those signs were missed. I could have sworn I'd explained it, but I guess not. Basically, to answer that, the first 10 feet when entering a building from outside is known as the 'transition state'. You're readjusting yourself between the two environments. You generally don't take notice of anything within the first 10 feet, which is why when you enter a Walmart, for example, most of the major promotional signs aren't displayed until you're already well inside.

In the case of the starbucks signs, there are a few reasons - the transition being one of them. The sign on the door was small and below eye level. And the second sign actually sat behind the arc of the door, so was partially blocked as you entered.

(And jeeze...I wasn't expecting good constructive criticism...might have to post essays more often...)

---------- Post added 2010-06-29 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin VanCleef View Post
    What is Tim Hortan's.
    Tim Horton's is a canadian based coffee type shop thing. Like second cup, or ... I can't really think of an equivalent. Quick, cheap, good coffee, donuts and sammies, etc.

I always understood anthropology as a study of cultures and humanity. Though this essay touches on that it seems to me that you put too much time in the physical aspect of the stores themselves and less on the people (cultures) inside them. You did talk about the people but it was your shortest paragraph. I would suggest shifting your focus of the paper more to what the people were like inside the shop. Perhaps more about how they reacted to their environment as opposed to the environment itself. For instance, is that Family Guy episode correct in the stereotype that all the "writers" in Starbucks were there just to be seen writing thus validating their writing existence? Family Guy should probably not be mentioned in a serious paper but that is an example that could be made w/o using Family Guy. You can still use all your good observations of the establishments. They would just be used more to help convey how the different design and marketing strategies that you noticed help attract and mold the different cultures you are studying.

If I am incorrect in my understanding of anthropology I rescind my previous thoughts.

You're not wrong, but I'll give you the definition of culture.

Culture is an integrated system of shared ideas (thoughts, ideals, attitudes), behaviors (actions), and material artefacts (objects) that characterize a group.

So, yes, I chose to emphasize the physical objects of the two locations, but that doesn't mean I'm not talking 100% culture. I can't write about the shared ideas, because that would require interviews of which really wasn't an option at the time. And behaviours were definetely discussed - the mannerisms of the clerks, the interactions of customers, etc. To touch on everything, though, would end up being a full dissertation paper, lol. Only so much you can cover with 1000 words...

It totally did say something about wow! Said it didn't belong in the wow general, but that I didn't know where to put it

Also, I have a PC, but thanks

I found it very interesting but would suggest focusing more on the people, also just my opinion but did anyone else not like the fact that he described how Tim Horton's employees acted but not Starbucks? Just my 2 cents.