Killer Nic Products

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone was using any of the Killer NIC network cards
    like the 2100 or the Pro and see also if you saw any differences in your gaming. I wouldn't mind finding
    a way to get my latency down (average is 200ms). The Killer cards were a solution suggested
    to me and on paper it does make sense. What about in real world tests?

15+ Year Old Account
    Overpriced cards with little to no gain. Their whole marketing scheme is that their cards have an on-board CPU to process network requests. That's great and all, but only pertinent if your CPU is at 100% usage on all cores. Otherwise, you have the CPU cycles available for network processing.

Also, the odds of a specific network card lowering your latency isn't very good. I would highly doubt that more than 1-2ms of your latency exists within your LAN (your computer, router, modem, etc). The rest is packet travel time.

Hmmm I thought as much. But any other suggestions for lowering latency?
    I have used that Latency Reducer thing on wowinterface but would
    try for as little latency on my end as possible.

Fiber optic cable from your home to the datacenter where the realm you play in is located.

It costs insane amounts of money just like Killer NIC, but it actually works
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    i have one of the older cards (a M1), and well... its not really a performance or latency boost (at last for wow, did not test anything else). for latency, its 1-2-3ms if any at all, just use the "hack your registry to fix ping" stuff posted on most wow-forums and your good to go and wont notice a difference. if you are only looking to improve your performance, safe the money and spend it on a cpu-upgrade or something like that.
    on the other hand, if you know how to utilize the linux-system running on the nic's cpu, its a nice thing to play with.
    i dont want to talk down those cards, but only for the "performance gain" its not worth the money. its more of a thing to play with if you are one of those tech-nerds like me

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyorcborne View Post
    Hmmm I thought as much. But any other suggestions for lowering latency?
    I have used that Latency Reducer thing on wowinterface but would
    try for as little latency on my end as possible.
    There are basically two things you can do to lower your latency in WoW: Use Leatrix Latency Fix (aka "the registry hack") to make your computer respond to every TCP packet instead of every other packet, or switch ISPs. The second option can sometimes have undesired effects. I suppose there's the third option of looking for a problem with your network, but at 200ms, I doubt there is any problem on your end.

Personally, I have a fiber optic connection, have used Leatrix Latency Fix, and run at around 125ms.

Aye thats 200 with the registry hack, i completely forgot to mention it.
    But yeah i guess the only way would be to try another isp and that
    can mess things up even more. Thanks all for your input, i do appreciate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or Wowtunnels.
    Frickin love it. Lowers mine from around 200 to 130.

Definitely worth it.