Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Achievements Destroyed the Fun of Battlegrounds

Hey all.
    Sure, tell me that I got rose-tinted glasses or w/e, I won't care. I am here to say what I think.

Since the implention of achievements I've not enjoyed battlegrounds at all nearly. The reason I believe it to be is the teamplay. People doesn't care if they win or not, cause they are just there to farm achievements anyways.
    I remember in TBC, I played alot of BG, even tho I didn't need anything from it, I did it because it was fun. You played as a team to win, there were nothing else to do in there exept win (farming HK's, but wasn't so much people doing that before the 100k hk titles were implented, which once again is an achievement). Everyone were working to win, and you did your best to work as a team. It really was a battle, which it is not today. Now as people don't need gear from BG's they just farm for stupid achievements, like once in WSG, a guy wanted the [Ironman] achievement. He had captured 2 off the flags, and another guy was to cap the last one so we would win. The guy who wanted Ironman started shouting that he'll pay him for giving the flag to him and letting him capture it seeing they were on the same server. Now they start to discuss price, and boom alliance kills the flag carrier and after a few minutes they win. He could just have capped the flag and we would win, but achievements and gold horny kids fucks all up.

Edit: Ofc there are some okay achievements. For example: [Warsong Gulch Veteran] "Complete 100 victories in Warsong Gulch". But some are just retarded, like [Ironman] as mentioned above.

What do you think? Do you enjoy BG's as much as before achievements was implented?

Also, I know that rated bg's will fix this pretty much, but I hope that Blizzard will implent som function so people aren't able to get achivements in rated battles. They might join and just stand farm achievements while some people are competeing to win. I don't think it's fair.
    Last edited by Upptagen; 2010-06-30 at 12:33 PM.

I pretty much agree with you to some extent, some achievements do promote retardedness in BGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    'Hardcore' raiders remind me of my two-year-old. "Yes, I put it down and I'm not playing with it anymore, but YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT MINE MINE MINE MINE!"

It has less to do with achievements and more with cross-server BGs. Community and reputation used to matter, so people would actually work to win. Since we used to fight with roughly the same people, we'd get to know each other and learn how to work together. It doesn't happen anymore. Achievements are a part of it, granted, but most players tend not to care anymore. They're not playing for fun, they just want their honor.

Honestly there've always been guys just farming honor / kills or just do some pvp for crazy numbers and not caring the slighest about winning. I don't see much of a difference to be honest. If anything its easier to motivate people to keep fighting after falling back horrible in AB, just because there's an achievement for it. In the earlier stages of wow they'd just flame anyone still fighting and asking the mates to lose quickly to get into another BG.

First time trying to get Ironman and the EotS one, it was a hassle. Getting 1 away and then dying or whatever, but I'm resto druid, it's my job to do those and I've sense gotten those achievements 6-7 times just cause that's my job. Every achievement has it's value to the team play, but sometimes it came get out of hand.

"Let me defend that node flag so I can get achievement"
    The guy on it steps out so the other can do it, he gets 90% done and then gets moonfired and that's as close as we get to having that node the rest of the match. Those types of things you just need to do it and get it. When you have 6 people at Blacksmith trying to cap the flag for an achievement while a warlock and mage aoe the shit out of everyone... dumb asses.

Can´t only blame on the achievements tho.

It´s the weak minded people.

An opportunity makes a man what he is.

I have no clue what I meant with the sentence above.

Yes I do.

Some achievements are fine but then there are others that just cause idiots to do everything wrong in a BG. School of hard knocks is a good example of this, capture the flag in eots? enough people run to the flag already, dont need 10 people trying to get the flag while you lose bases and when its 4-0 people are still trying to get the flag

Deleted
    The real reason for PVP has been dead for a long time, novadays people farm BG's for honor points, which they most likely buy epic gems for. That is why people join. Rated battlegrounds seems to be alot better, because then you will have to choose who you want in your team.

Deleted
    I dont think BGs changed all that much. Yes, someone here and there tries to complete achis, but it really doesnt affect gameplay of others so much.

I myself dont see BGs as fun at all because most random BGs I do recently are WSG where I am groupped with 15k hp paladins against 60k prot warr and holy paladin with valanyr... But thats just me, it probably is fun for the other team :P.

Most achievements don't seem to factor into the BG's I get into. You very rarely get someone asking to do Iron mam, and usually if they do we work as a team with them, because a flag cap is a flag cap, right?

The worst achievement by far is Alterac Blitz. every single damn AV I get into, there are one or two people shouting 'LET'S BLITZ!!!!' and on the event people do succumb to their idiocy, we lose because there is never a tank or enough healers present, and the Horde have defence and wipe us out. Now I have to contend with snide remarks to my reply of 'No, how about we win this the easiest way, instead of getting your alt 10 more achievement points?'

Cataclysm brings rating into this, if you got a good server, you probably meet some cool people who is hungry for rating = know that teamplay = win = moar rating

Most achievements require completing objectives. I'd argue that someone trying to do node defense achievement, even if he intentionally lets the opponent to tag the base, is not causing any more harm than your average player that ignores the objectives.

Also, most "achievement whores" tend to be good and geared. After they have completed the rest of the achievements, they're going all out for 100 wins: Even if they had zero impact on previous games, that should even it out.

Sometimes it sucks, sometimes its fun because people are more motivated. But you have people who are going for 20 kills without dying or something that won't help in fights and wait for there chance to kill some low healths.

Achievements have always been a way for blizzard to keep people playing. BG's went downhill when raids became the easier source for gear, so a lot of people quit doing them. Combine that with blizzards lackluster efforts to combat botting and afkers, and you have the current state of bgs. At least people going for achievements are trying to do something, even if it hurts the team. If you are trying your best to win, enjoy rated bgs, as the focus of those will be winning. Otherwise, join the legions of people that charge head on into unbeatable odds just to try to farm their kills.

15+ Year Old Account
    In the example you made yes it sucks - but he should have made a premade or something to get it instead of "soloing" it. Same as people wanting occ (or any other instance) achievements forcing others to waste time - especially when they don´t know how to do them right .

I wouldn´t say its just the achievements that is to blame though - more the mentality of people. Since you can´t "show off" gear as you could in the past you need to have achievements to be something now.

15+ Year Old Account
    BGs have always been full of retards and jackasses. The guys you see screwing over their teams just so they can get a stupid achievement are the same ones you'd see in EotS fighting over the stupid flag while their team had 0/4 bases.

Achievements simply gave the window lickers a new way to display their retardation to the rest of the WoW community.

Quote Originally Posted by quiz View Post
    Sometimes it sucks, sometimes its fun because people are more motivated. But you have people who are going for 20 kills without dying or something that won't help in fights and wait for there chance to kill some low healths.
    On the other hand it could mean (and I think it is so more often than not) that the player going for it is doing it in a small, organized, group. I've helped others do Wrecking Ball at least ten times, and our group tends to have been able to go 4vs10, killing everyone rescurrecting at graveyard. Even if we didn't contribute to the objectives, that means the rest of the team is fighting 11vs5.

Yes, there is rogues stealthing around and ambushing low-health players in attempt to do the achievement, but for each one of them there is 5 rogues stealthing around ambushing low-health players because they are clueless, and a 5-man premade that can win the BG 5vs15.

And some achievs require you to win the BG.

Achievements are just a retarded way to keep our interest on the game and feed our addiction with insignificant goals. It doesn't regard sole PvP. Even, most PvP achievements have a fun factor at least.
    TLDR: achievements fucked up the entire game, not sole PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    And some achievs require you to win the BG.
    And some people actually read the post.

Edit: Ofc there are some okay achievements. For example: [Warsong Gulch Veteran] "Complete 100 victories in Warsong Gulch". But some are just retarded, like [Ironman] as mentioned above.
    That was said in the first post, and it was edited long before you posted.