Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished with it. I thought alot of the questions were pretty dead-on. Hopefully you'll get exactly what you're looking for from this.

Well done.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by giantd View Post
    Filled !

And actually , I used neutral option for a few times. For example - the question about "Do you prefer to create aesthetic avatars", I had to choose neutral, since for me Troll males are very aesthetic, but It seems that majority of player base doesn't think like that.
    And I totally agree with you about male Trolls. I find them very aesthetically pleasing. I think a lot of people agree with you, because there's a great deal of fan art dedicated to them.

looks like you all got trolled. Hard to believe an online survey is sufficient for a dissertation.

Was bored so submitted one, let us know what the results are like.

Quote Originally Posted by wildemu View Post
    looks like you all got trolled. Hard to believe an online survey is sufficient for a dissertation.
    Actually, it's only one part of the dissertation research. Why would someone go through all that work just to troll people? If you'd even visited the survey link, you would quickly realize it's not trolling. However, you believe what you like.

---------- Post added 2010-07-08 at 02:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by halpfultroll View Post
    Was bored so submitted one, let us know what the results are like.
    Thanks, I'll be happy to post the percentage breakdowns once I get to my target.

filled one out, decent survey
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace- Jimi Hendrix

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.- General Patton

Just a quick bump and another thanks. Feel free to pass it on to others, I still need about 150 more responses to meet my minimum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Done, I'll send it to my female guildies also. Interesting questions. I also used neutral option a fair bit. I'm more comfortable with guys in my guild than I am guys outside my guild. I think the other girls in my guild are amazing players, but I know there are some bad ones outside etc etc. But good questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose its too late to modify the survey once you've started collecting data as it will inaccurate skew results, but I did hesitate on the question pertaining to how I spend my grouped time. The options are PuG vs Guild (or a combination of both) but I find this overly simplistic. Raiding and guild alliances are fairly common (most servers have several, and they can be quite large). I do all my group activities through one such coalition. I would consider it closer to a guild, as we all know each other quite well and group together often and function very similar to how a guild would on a practical level, even though very few of us are wearing the same . I definitely wouldn't consider us a PuG since some of us have raided together for five years... nor would I consider it the same as a guild group that PuGs open spots.

In any case, I put guild, but that's not totally accurate.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Filled and answered.

By the way, I can see your E-mail. quickly change it before anyone stalks you!

Wait, what, that actually doesn't happen because he's being normal and polite? Then what are those 1200 US pages for?!?!?!

Still good survey, best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysera
    Making dreams 'enjoyable' since 10.000 B.N.
    Ysera fanclub. <3

Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I suppose its too late to modify the survey once you've started collecting data as it will inaccurate skew results, but I did hesitate on the question pertaining to how I spend my grouped time. The options are PuG vs Guild (or a combination of both) but I find this overly simplistic. Raiding and guild alliances are fairly common (most servers have several, and they can be quite large). I do all my group activities through one such coalition. I would consider it closer to a guild, as we all know each other quite well and group together often and function very similar to how a guild would on a practical level, even though very few of us are wearing the same <tag>. I definitely wouldn't consider us a PuG since some of us have raided together for five years... nor would I consider it the same as a guild group that PuGs open spots.

In any case, I put guild, but that's not totally accurate.
    And thanks for the analysis. I didn't design many of the questions with those types of nuances in mind. I suppose that's why I tried to add as many "comment" areas as possible without the survey becoming too cumbersome. However, I know what you're referring to because I also group with my guild and our "sister" guild sometimes and I don't see us as a separate entity when involved in a raid. This is particularly true if I've grouped with those people enough times. There's not much to about that question now, but I will take that kind of stuff into account when I design the interview questionnaire.

I agree w/ Tziva, in that some of the answers were, perhaps inevitably, over simplistic. I too raid with a raiding coalition, but put it down as a guild, but the social dynamic is pretty significantly different in my opinion. For the questions about "Is your best healer/player a female or male avatar" questions, I had to leave them blank because I honestly had no idea what gender my healers' avatars are. Which just goes to show how tunnel-visioned I can get in raids! Furthermore, have you considered the possibility of self-selected bias in your survey takers? That is to say, by posting it on the Mmo-champion forums, you're inevitably narrowing your survey base to people who take the game sufficiently seriously to be participating in out-of-game aspects of it. These people may well have different opinions on gender than the actual general population of the game. Obviously this is not easily worked around since you cannot advertise your survey in-game and across all servers, but it is a possible concern. Just pointing out a few aspects to be considered; Good luck on your dissertation!

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    Done, I'll send it to my female guildies also. Interesting questions. I also used neutral option a fair bit. I'm more comfortable with guys in my guild than I am guys outside my guild. I think the other girls in my guild are amazing players, but I know there are some bad ones outside etc etc. But good questions.
    Thanks! And send it to the guys as well. Their opinions are just as important! =D

---------- Post added 2010-07-08 at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by threegreenpears View Post
    I agree w/ Tziva, in that some of the answers were, perhaps inevitably, over simplistic. I too raid with a raiding coalition, but put it down as a guild, but the social dynamic is pretty significantly different in my opinion. For the questions about "Is your best healer/player a female or male avatar" questions, I had to leave them blank because I honestly had no idea what gender my healers' avatars are. Which just goes to show how tunnel-visioned I can get in raids! Furthermore, have you considered the possibility of self-selected bias in your survey takers? That is to say, by posting it on the Mmo-champion forums, you're inevitably narrowing your survey base to people who take the game sufficiently seriously to be participating in out-of-game aspects of it. These people may well have different opinions on gender than the actual general population of the game. Obviously this is not easily worked around since you cannot advertise your survey in-game and across all servers, but it is a possible concern. Just pointing out a few aspects to be considered; Good luck on your dissertation!

I apologize again if I've missed some significant social dynamics. Alas, those are the limitations with pre-chosen responses and with quantitative analysis in general. I have posted in other places as well. I even created a Facebook group. This particular forum, however, has been (by far) the most mature and helpful with this survey. I suppose that's why I keep coming back to this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MercilessHeart View Post
    I have posted in other places as well. I even created a Facebook group. This particular forum, however, has been (by far) the most mature and helpful with this survey. I suppose that's why I keep coming back to this thread.
    You know, I'd expect the opposite from these forums. I love posting here, but it's known for being a bit trollish. But these surveys get posted reguarly here and usually do get a good response. Hope you get the rest you need soon

Just took your survey. In some questions in my case it wasn't as black and white and i felt that i could have elaborated, but then i realized that would ruin the whole idea of it being a survey, and i answered them to the best of my ability.

It's a very good survey, and i hope you find what you are looking for on your research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completed, Good luck!
    Signatures are overrated.

Excellent survey, I wish you the best of luck with your work! As stated above, I would very much like to see the results once you have them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    You know, I'd expect the opposite from these forums. I love posting here, but it's known for being a bit trollish. But these surveys get posted reguarly here and usually do get a good response. Hope you get the rest you need soon
    This is fairly accurate, unfortunately. The problem lately, though, has been the ones with the pitchforks and torches wanting to tie everyone with a different opinion to a burning steak in fear of them being a troll.

See also: Wildemu up there;
    While his point about the dissertation is slightly credible, he immediately voided any respect his post could have gotten by throwing the "troll" label around like some fear driven witch hunt.

I enjoyed the survey and welcome more like it, especially for a good cause like this.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Way too long. Did 2 pages, then saw the 3rd.