Thread: Cata Boomkin

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cata Boomkin

Soooo anyone else really confused? Cuz I am, I mean I do know the class (havn't played sense I killed the LK about a 2 months ago but Im sure nothings changed) But these knew changes are confusing me... anyone else confused or can give me a better explanation then blizz?

I am too a bit confused on the mechanic for eclipse. I have been Boomkin for the entire Xpac and have learned it very well but with these new changes to the 'eclipse meter' I just don't understand it.

Deleted
    Basically, you spam starfire and each one that crits gives you "Solar energy"... 100 solar energy = eclipse for 30 seconds or so

You spam wrath, you gain "Lunar Energy"... same story.

Starsurge will boost you further towards whatever eclipse you're going for.

According to a beta video that I saw, it looked like the "energy" you gain from each spell school decayed, so I'm assuming the bonus is immediate? Or perhaps I was seeing it wrong. That could make maximizing dps a whole lot harder for balance druids. Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzyb View Post
    According to a beta video that I saw, it looked like the "energy" you gain from each spell school decayed, so I'm assuming the bonus is immediate? Or perhaps I was seeing it wrong. That could make maximizing dps a whole lot harder for balance druids. Hooray!
    This is working as intended. There was a blue post concerning boomkins being able to stack the meter in advance, and the response was that Blizz didn't want boomkins to be able to swing their alignment so far in advanced so that they didn't really have to setup their burst. Long story short, the decay is to balance the ability in Blizz's eyes for PvP.

Edit: Read your post a different way... are you questioning the amount your alignment shifts the further you get towards that end of the meter? If so, I actually suggested something like this a long time ago when news first came out about the new Eclipse. Again, long story short, it's for balance and scaling: it keeps you from staying on one side (lunar or solar) indefinitely and forces you to switch back and forth.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2010-07-07 at 10:09 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    Basically, you spam starfire and each one that crits gives you "Solar energy"... 100 solar energy = eclipse for 30 seconds or so

You spam wrath, you gain "Lunar Energy"... same story.

Starsurge will boost you further towards whatever eclipse you're going for.
    You don't need to crit to gain solar/lunar energy. Crits just give you more solar/lunar energy that non-crits.

soo basicly, once you hit solar eclipse, you have 30 sec to stack your way up to the other eclipse?!!

looks to me like when you get the buff it resets your meter to the middle, and naturally since you're casting the buffed spell, it starts moving in the other direction... but does it happen WHILE buffed too? (start building while you're buffed with one)

I'm liking the new boomkin style, makes it MUCH less rng based.
    I've gotten kicked from a togc 10 being in full icc10/25 gear and normally pulling 7k+ DPS because i pulled 5k dps a certain fight because after about 10 wrath crits i finally got an eclipse proc =(

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerkin View Post
    looks to me like when you get the buff it resets your meter to the middle, and naturally since you're casting the buffed spell, it starts moving in the other direction... but does it happen WHILE buffed too? (start building while you're buffed with one)
    Going to make an educated guess: yes, you should still shift you balance during an Eclipse. Why? If you didn't shift towards the Solar/Lunar side of life during an Eclipse, what's to keep you from just using one side of the scale indefinitely? Blizz was pretty clear they want moonkins to utilize both Solar and Lunar Eclipses (no more of the chain-proccing Lunar Eclipse which was possible a while back), it's a method of controlling our actions to some degree. I'm sure a boomkin in beta can confirm this behavior, if it is working as intended.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Deleted
    Mkay, we need to clear up the confusion completely. First off, eclipse buff is still 15 seconds. It is not 30 seconds - that would be a bit wild.

The meter looks something like this:

Solar |-----:-----| Lunar
    The : in the middle signals the pointer where the meter is. It starts at the middle position if you have not recently been in combat.

As you cast any solar (nature) ability, it will generate some sort of lunar power. Likewise, lunar spells (arcane) will generate solar energy. Cast a wrath, generate lunar power, and your meter will look like this:

|------:----| = the wrath made it move towards lunar energy.

Eventually, you will reach the end of the meter: |----------:|

This will give you a lunar eclipse buff for 15 seconds. This buff scales depending on the amount of points in your tree, and your mastery stat. However, this may change when the new talent trees come out, but at the moment the eclipse bonus from the mastery is around 20%. Ill repeat: Its 20%, not 40%. This is fine, cause spells will be scaled around this, and this means that each mastery rating we get, it will increase the power of eclipse. Dont hang yourself too much into that number, in any case. If it stays like this or gets changed when the new talent trees come out, we will just have to wait and see.

Anyways, once you reach the end of the eclipse meter, in this case |----------:|, you will obviously start using starfire, which will push your eclipse meter back towards the middle and eventually to the solar end, which will proc solar eclipse. As far as I can tell, you get lunar energy from wrath, insect swarm, treants and wild mushrooms (guess), and you get solar energy from starfire, moonfire, starfall and so on. Starsurge gives energy to whatever you have the most of it, and a lot of it.

With the new eclipse system, you will proc eclipse faster as you get more crit, as each crit generates additional power. Also, starfire will obviously generate more power than wrath will, to account for the longer cast time.

TL;DR: The new system is fun. You'll get the hang of it pretty fast, im sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any changes in rotation?
    Now its look some like insect, spam wrat till eclipse, moonfire, spam starfire till eclipse, insect, spam wrath... How starsurge/shrooms fit with that?

I pretty like idea of "unloading" starfall in lunar eclipse. That is imho good change, i hope it will stay...

Something similar should be done with shrooms in solar. Like detonate them all at once when solar is active.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been very confused about the eclipse changes as well. Been reading a lot of posts to see if i could get some more clarification. Funny enough the best post I've seen so far is in this topic from Qieth ^^ thanks!
    From what i've seen and read, it seems really fun and I can't wait to try it out.

(as a side note: bye bye endless wrath spam without proc)

got an extra question. The buff you get from eclipse, is that a flat-out percentage increased dmg on solar/lunar? or is there some difference between the two?

got an extra question. The buff you get from eclipse, is that a flat-out percentage increased dmg on solar/lunar? or is there some difference between the two?
    yep its flatout % dmg increase in nature(solar) or arcane(lunar) dmg, actually something like 15-20% + 8-12% mastery from invested talents + ?% from mastery stat.
    btw in this video u can see it:
    VVVVVV(dot)livestream(dot)com/kartmanocp/video?clipId=pla_26b51d11-dfe6-446b-8e75-950b508b2898&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

(sry i cannot post links because not enough post crap... my old acc was banned just because i post britney spears qq foto )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhelsen View Post
    Any changes in rotation?
    Now its look some like insect, spam wrat till eclipse, moonfire, spam starfire till eclipse, insect, spam wrath... How starsurge/shrooms fit with that?
    You should probably stop considering moonfire as a DOT. I doub you will be using Glyphs of Starfire and Moonfire at level 85, so your moonfire will go back to being a nuke on the run. This is also reflected in the talents that we are getting for moonfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sankiros View Post
    I've been very confused about the eclipse changes as well. Been reading a lot of posts to see if i could get some more clarification. Funny enough the best post I've seen so far is in this topic from Qieth ^^ thanks!
    From what i've seen and read, it seems really fun and I can't wait to try it out.

(as a side note: bye bye endless wrath spam without proc)

What do you mean, "Funny enough"?! :'(

Anyways, there seems to be no difference between solar and lunar eclipse. You wont have crit on lunar eclipse anymore, which removes any crit cap problems ofcourse, and the buff simply scales with your mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth View Post
    You wont have crit on lunar eclipse anymore, which removes any crit cap problems ofcourse,
    So it gives damage like the solar one also or something else?

According to the posts above, yes.
    <Hell> is now recruiting!!! ~ <Hell> Recruitment Thread

Armory

Ok, I'm understanding this better now myself...ty guys.

One question I have though; Is there any kind of internal CD on Eclipse or will haste affect it as strongly as I think it could? When we're at tier 13 or whatever, will we be aiming for

amounts of haste that, when during heroism/lust, will give near-constant eclipse?

Not quite sure I understand what you mean...

But if you're suggesting to proc a Lunar Eclipse, then as soon as it expires, go back to proc another Lunar... I do not think that this is possible. Where the current system has a 15s CD on the previously-proc'd Eclipse, the new system will have, I assume, something similar.

As Qieth mentioned, you'll be rollin' SFs after that Lunar proc, and head towards the Solar side, the rate that the meter will traverse in the opposite direction is dependent on your crit (rate that you generate solar/lunar power).

If, say, you proc a Lunar, and have to move, or rez or whatever, for x-time, and only reach the middle of the meter, I am sure there will be either an internal CD (like current system) or a Dim Returns effect to prevent a re-eclipse of the same type.

---------- Post added 2010-07-11 at 08:05 PM ----------

Ideally, we'll be looking for a way to create a Pendulum with our Eclipse Meter.
    <Hell> is now recruiting!!! ~ <Hell> Recruitment Thread

Armory