Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    August or september 2010 most likely. Beta has already begun and it should be done before next Blizzcon.
    No..

Waaay to early ma man.

I somehow doubt that they'll release anything before Blizzcon. Which makes it Nov-Dec, if it'll be released this year...

At the same time, even Blizz would be silly to wait till 2011, because the only serious competitor (yes, Star Wars one) will be released then, and it's in Blizz's best interests "not to drop the ball" now.

Being WoW fanboi too, I can honestly say that I'll freeze my account as soon as Star Wars MMO is released. I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs a new "cata drug shot" before that happens, right?

This year, probally october/november. Would be a collosally crappy business decision to leave it till next year with no new content expecially with stuff like SWTOR on the horizon. Blizz like any company like money, and that would be one way to lose a lot of income.

I hear too many people saying sep/oct, and I wonder how many of these people are gonna be doing a bunch of QQ posts october 1st "We were supposed to have it by now"...OT: I don't see it coming before november, and I think we won't get a release date until at least blizzcon, but it wouldn't surprise me if after the Real ID backlash comes through and the talent changes that we won't see it until January/February next year.

Thinking logically, lol2034 or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if I understood what I read from the blue posts posted recently (which may be wrong), they have everything done, they just don't have it balanced, and they haven't implemented the new talent system into the beta yet, although they could just be referring to the new talent change, but, yeah know.
    I'm just an ex-con trying to go straight to get my kids back

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    "By the next Blizzcon you'll hate Goblin rogues more than Gnome rogues"
    Not quite... Really confused as to why this quote is constantly changing from Blizzcon.

"You will be complaining about Goblin rogues by next Blizzcon", I hope so but I think that something said a year ago won't really help us predict now.

Let me rephrase what I said above:

There is NO WAY they are releasing expansion before Blizzcon. Full stop.

Disclaimer: I have no facts that prove this statement, I'm just using common sense (as everyone in this thread should).

Quote Originally Posted by Onýx View Post
    Well. lets see... Hmm.. If history repeats..
    Launch, Nov 04.
    TBC, Nov 06.
    WotLK, Nov 08.
    Cat.... Im guessing Nov 2010. Lets see.

DISCLAIMER!
    Dates listed are from a poor memory, And do not in fact reflect acurate time lines. (Wow has fried my long term memory and attention span.) Please do not flame me to hard for.... HEY A TITANIUM NODE!
    Nah dude.

Quote Originally Posted by BondExtreme View Post
    No..

Waaay to early ma man.
    usually an expansion or new game comes out 3-4 months after beta starts

september/october is my best guess

---------- Post added 2010-07-08 at 04:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Taeloria View Post
    I hear too many people saying sep/oct, and I wonder how many of these people are gonna be doing a bunch of QQ posts october 1st "We were supposed to have it by now"...OT: I don't see it coming before november, and I think we won't get a release date until at least blizzcon, but it wouldn't surprise me if after the Real ID backlash comes through and the talent changes that we won't see it until January/February next year.
    they would have to add another filler raid, they already said Ruby Sanctum was the last, and they were debating on even releasing it at all

Wrath of the Lich King
    Beta Begins: July 17th 2008(later than Cata's)
    Release: Nov 13th 2008

I think it's safe to assume we'll be seeing it late October, early November.

It's coming out November 10th.

I'm PRETTY sure, but when WotLK came out, everyone complained about shit being broken, they released it too early, they rushed it to beat (some other mmo that was coming out? I don't recall the name), etc. I think it's safe to say that they at least learned a little and will wait longer than Wrath to release it to make it more playable and less broken.
    Wrath of the Lich King
    Considering this, I'm guessing late november-late december.

I would have said next year until Blizzard mentioned the next Beta build being far more extensive. Certainly don't quote me on this, but the difference between early closed Betas and Friends-and-Family Alphas are usually far more extensive, aren't they? Because really there doesn't seem to be much difference between the alpha and early beta so far.

If I were to hazard a guess, it would be as such:

Blizzard released their first Alpha builds internally, intending on using a 51-point talent system. During internal testing, they had a change in design direction, and decided instead to use a 31-point system, completely destroying the previous plan. Thus, because such an important mechanic was now being completely reworked, they decided against letting the general public see a completely unfinished system. It wouldn't surprise me if much of Blizzard's development is done entirely from within now, and they're simply using the beta as a promotional tool. After all, their Beta/PTR community has been far more useful in solving balancing issues rather than design flaws. Since that community couldn't help Blizzard balance a system they hadn't even finalized, we've been left on the sidelines. Basically, what exists right now couldn't possibly be where Blizzard is actually on their design, because that's a design well more than a year from being ready for release.

I'm rambling, but to put it simply, the next Beta build Blizzard is hyping will say a whole lot about where they are in development, and whether we'll see it this year or next. Is it true when they say they're "Done"? Obviously if the current Beta is indicative of where Blizzard is, then no way it'll be out this year. If, on the other hand, the scenario I laid out is anywhere near the truth, then there is no reason to doubt Blizzard when they say it'll be released this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    Wrath of the Lich King

I think it's safe to assume we'll be seeing it late October, early November.
    This is also the LARGEST Expansion to date. So It is very slim that the Beta will be the same/shorter in length. Also, Blizzcon is as the end of October. You do not want to release a game close to a date where half of the employees are busy with a convention.

Personally I think it will be Late September- Early October or it will be November. I am hoping for a November 25 launch just to celebrate the 6th year of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    Nah dude.
    TBC was planned to be released during November 06' and was pushed back til January 16th 07'.

They're not going to make us wait a long time with 1 content patch.

Plain and simple.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Blizz said they will be throwing a big beta update this month. This update should be very similar to patch 4.0 meaning that they are relatively close.

Also, if you look at the Beta now and compare it to the other Beta's it is already very "finished" and polished. If anything I think that Blizz hit the Beta running with this expansion. Hell, both new races are already well finished. The new quests in most zones are finished, the talents and spells will be mostly finished in the next Beta patch. I think there is about a month or two left in the beta.

Why do people seem to think it's going to take them so long to release Cata? For one, with each expansion their knowledge of how to handle expansions and betas is going to increase. They'll be more efficient and get things done faster. Cata is also a large reworking of the old world, meaning they don't have to create entirely new areas like with Wrath and TBC. They've also been working on it for a long time.

For one, there's not much of a chance they will do another Blizzcon before Cata. It's just bad. Two Blizzcons devoted to Cata is just not how they do things. They also moved back Blizzcon for the first time ever. That makes a lot of sense if they are planning a Sept/Oct release. On top of that, they put in the halloween masks last halloween for the Worgen and Goblins. If they weren't planning to have them out by halloween, why put them in so early?

Sensible arguments. Here is my take on 'em:

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemon View Post
    Why do people seem to think it's going to take them so long to release Cata?
    Because it's the largest expansion to date and they keep adding new stuff right now (talents, anyone?), which means development isn't over. I.e. it's not "phew, just balancing now".

For one, with each expansion their knowledge of how to handle expansions and betas is going to increase.
    True, but see above - largest expansion to date. Everything is re-created from scratch, they said it themselves. So not much "cut-paste" of the old stuff to save time.

Two Blizzcons devoted to Cata is just not how they do things.
    Who says it'll be "devoted to Cata"? Maybe it'll be all about Diablo, and one small panel will just say "hey folks, btw, Cata release date is on Nov 17th, thanks very much"?

On top of that, they put in the halloween masks last halloween for the Worgen and Goblins. If they weren't planning to have them out by halloween, why put them in so early
    Because they did it AGES ago, before knowing how much their original design will change? No idea...