Question Soloing Gehennas in MC advice

Hello guys and gals,im a long time lurker on these forums,but new to posting on them =) Anyways,i want to ask my fellow Warlocks for advice when it comes to soloing Gehennas in Molten Core. As it stands ive soloed Lucifron,Magmadar,Garr,Shazzrah,Baron Geddon,Sulfuron and Golemagg but i have run into problems with Gehennas due to that bloody curse of his. Since the old way of killing him with the pathing exploit combined with Teleport is no longer possible as far as i can tell..i was wondering if anyone here has any advice or a differant strategy?

Before i get potentially flamed for not searching around..i have been trying the felpuppy strategy,keeping out of range of his -75% healing curse and health funneling while burning his adds down with a solo affliction spec.However,it seems to me that no matter how lucky i get with the adds or how quick i am,the felpuppy just cant take the damage being inflicted on him combined with the -75% curse..by the time they are dead he is usually down to 10% and health funnel is useless due to the curse.

I have searched all over the place and 99.9% of the time all i have found are strategy's to do with the pathing exploit,which doesnt work anymore,and vague descriptions from affliction warlocks saying they have easily done it with the felpuppy..kinda annoying^^ I have read once,and only once, that the key to the fight is wearing 5 pieces from Tier 1 for the +100% pet resistance bonus..but is that really all there is to it? Either way,any insights from fellow Warlocks who have soloed Gehennas without the pathing exploit would be greatly appreciated =)

TL;DR - Im looking for advice on how to solo Gehennas without using the lava/pathing exploit. Is it all about the Tier 1 5pc set bonus or is there another way?

Its definately harder than it used to be with the teleport kiting, but it is definately doable. I send my felhunter in to tank the boss while I face tank the two adds. Having Improved Health Funnel makes a HUGE difference on this. The increased healing is good, but you are really looking for the damage reduction it offers. I you have been soloing other bosses, you probably have at least 5/8 T1 by now and that is pretty essential for the fight because the 5 piece bonus grants an additional 100 spell resistance for your pet (5/8 T2 is 130).

The pull is obviously the hardest part because the adds hit relatively hard and they can stun you and you are wearing 5 peices of level 60 gear so you have a lot less HP. Make sure you get your positioning right, you need your pet to run directly to the front of the boss, not the side or things will get screwy. Be health funneling your pet as he is running in so that the adds immediately come to you from healing aggro and don't do much/any additional damage to your pet. As you have figured out, keeping your pet alive in the beginning of the fight is the most challenging part. You need to dps the adds and keep your self alive through their relatively high damage all while keeping your pet up through a 75% mortal strike.

I found that setting myself up for as much self healing as possible worked the best. Glyph of siphon life, glyph of healthstone and demon armor mean that instead of having to use drain life to keep myself alive through the adds, I can dot them up then health funnel my pet. You will still have to drain life a bit to keep yourself up, but not as much as without those glyphs/fel armor. Make sure you have corruption on both adds for siphon life and haunt on CD. Do your best to keep UA and CoA up on one of the targets and then either health funnel to keep your pet up or drain life to burn the add faster.

You need to get through the adds as fast as possible because they WILL kill you, but you also need to keep the imp health funnel buff on your pet and give him as much healing as possible or Gehennas WILL kill it. Getting that balancing act is actually a lot of fun... too bad the fight takes like 40 minutes as you watch your felhunter solo the boss from 100% to l0%. Make sure you don't let the pet kill the boss completely on its own, you need to cast at least 1 spell at him or else you don't get loot rights.

Thank you very much for the info mate =) Thats exactly the type of clarification i have been looking for. As i mentioned earlier i have been using that specific tactic and it has worked up until the adds die..but by then my felhunter is at an unhealable level of health combined with the curse. I guess ill just have to wait for the reset and hope that i get the final pieces of tier 1 that i need for the set bonus because im sitting on 3/5 atm >< lol i really just wanted to make sure that there was no other way of doing it that i was missing..minus the set bonus etc etc

Anyways,thanks again mate =)

NP
    Soloing MC is a lot of fun and surprisingly profitable. The bosses drop 50-60g each and Ragnaros drops twice that. On my server the T1 BoE stuff sells for 80-100g a piece and I usually get 1-3 of them per run, fiery core and lava cores sell for 30-40g and depending on how much trash I feel like clearing I end up with anywhere from 5 to 20 of those. Sulfuron Ingots sell for 500g and blood of the mountain goes for anywhere from 50g-200g. Plus another 50-60g from vendoring the BoP stuff. But all of that pales in comparison to the sheer awesomeness of a warlock with a Thunderfury. I got mine about a month ago when I got super ridiculously lucky and had both bindings drop in the same run. I got so excited that I peed a little.

Are you using drain life on the adds after you get your dots up? Maybe you can try doing that a lot less, only use it if you absolutely need it, otherwise be health funneling so that your pet isn't so low when the adds finally die.

I don't think I mentioned this in my other post, but make sure you aren't using soul link.

If you don't have 5/8 T1 or T2, then a Void Star Talisman from Solarian in TK will also do the trick. You could try a 33/38/0 spec with 3/3 demonic resilience, but I think that without UA and haunt it will just take too long to burn down the adds but its worth a shot.

Yeah the profitability certainly sweetens the deal.The prices on my server are generally the same as yours,except for sulfuron ingots,which go for around 800g's..quite nice lol =) Congratulations on getting Thunderfury aswell,thats the main reason i decided to start soloing MC..well,that and the sheer fun factor. I started it 2 weeks ago now and i have a good grasp on all bosses i can manage before Executus/Ragnaros..except for Gehennas of course^^ After your input im guessing ill just have to wait for that tier 1 set bonus to get the job done.

As for using Drain Life..well,as you mentioned i only use it whenever i absolutely have to..usually i just chain heal the felhunter and keep dots and Haunt refreshed on the adds. No Soul Link of course,i realised quite early that SL was not helping the poor fel puppy lol. The adds arent really the problem,i can usually get them down..its really coming down to how much damage my felhunter is taking. Of course sometimes i get unlucky with stuns from the adds but usually i can take care of them..its afterwards that is the problem.

Im just going to assume that the extra resistance from the T1 set bonus will help mitigate the damage that is causing the trouble. For example,i can get really lucky with the stuns and burn the adds down while chain healing my pet quickly..but no matter how quick or lucky,it seems to me that the felhunter is taking more damage then health funnel can possibly heal because of the curse. Soooooo,im hoping the resistance bonus will tip the scales in my favour.

Also,i have been using 56/15/0 with Siphon Life/Health Funnel glyphs for this fight and 30/41/0 for the rest of MC. Thanks for the heads up on that Solarian trinket btw,if i get reeeeally unlucky with the next reset i might pester some guildies and go see if she will drop it for me =)

I tried the T1 thing but my spell power and haste sucked sooo bad then. And I still kick myself for passing on that Solarian trinket so many times. :P

Anywho, one word, or four words, whatever: Drums of the Wild. Between the Fel Hunter's innate resistance, what he gains from the drums, and what he gains from the spillover from what I gain from the drums I have no problem keeping him up. I don't heal him a bit while finishing off the adds and he's still typically above 70% by the time they're down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawl View Post
    I tried the T1 thing but my spell power and haste sucked sooo bad then. And I still kick myself for passing on that Solarian trinket so many times. :P

Anywho, one word, or four words, whatever: Drums of the Wild. Between the Fel Hunter's innate resistance, what he gains from the drums, and what he gains from the spillover from what I gain from the drums I have no problem keeping him up. I don't heal him a bit while finishing off the adds and he's still typically above 70% by the time they're down.
    Drums of the wild is a really good idea. As for the spec, I don't know what your gear is like, but when I was doing it in T8 level gear I usually used a 30/41/0 spec for everything and it was nice and safe and easy. But a few months ago I didn't feel like respeccing and I had a pve affliction spec with a pvp affliction dual spec. I went in with the pvp aff spec and just face tanked everything myself and the instance went MUCH faster. Having a felguard out to do the heavy lifting makes the instance safe, but tanking yourself makes it go a lot faster and IMO its a little more exciting.

Baron Geddon is the only exception, I still use a felguard spec for that fight because the way I do that fight is by having my FG take the boss from 100% to 5% then I run in and throw some dots to make sure I get looting rights. It takes like 30-40 minutes and is annoying/boring as hell. Do you have a good way to do that fight besides just grinding it out?

Pester your guildies to do BWL with you too Everyone loves T2 and the 5/8 bonus for that set is 130 spell resist for your pet. I have a group of people in my guild that have been running all the old raids, its a lot of fun. There are usually 4-6 of us and we havent run into any problems yet.

Thanks Bawl! The Drums of the Wild idea worked a charm =) I just downed him there while using them on the first try lol finally!^^ Time for Executus and Ragnaros

Btw Merckx,ive been soloing this place with a god awful mess of pvp and pve gear tbh lol When i decided to give it a try i was in the middle of switching from PvE to PvP.As far as i can tell it doesnt seem that any of the bosses in here require a certain amount/type of gear..of course,executus or rag could potentially make me eat my words lol.

Also..i truly wish i had a better tactic for Barron Geddon,i use the same tactic as you..boring as hell isnt it? lol I did see one other tactic used by a PvE spec affliction warlock,there is a video of it on youtube..he basically affliction tanks Baron himself underneath a low ceiling to mitigate falling damage from Living Bomb while having the felpuppy on passive for dispelling the manaburn dot. No fire res or anything. I tried it a few times myself and managed to get him down to 20% or so..but i found it be very RNG and chaotic. It is certainly a quicker way of doing it..but you are constantly at the mercy of Living Bomb crits.

Personally i prefer the sure way...*send in FG,light smoke/read book* =)

Yeah, gear doesn't really make a big difference, but better gear = more hp and more spellpower = more healing from SL and haunt. Having great gear definitely makes it faster and easier but certainly isn't a requirement. Executus is really easy to do, much easier than it looks on paper, just make sure your portal is in a good place and don't use it unless you get into a real emergency - get teleported to the fire pit twice in succession and end up with all the adds on the platform with you at the same time. Having really strong gear will allow you to burn rag down before he submerges, but if you can't pull that off, its not a big deal and dealing with the sons of rag isn't too complicated.

I think geddon and gehennas are my least favorite fights in there. At least gehennas is exciting for the first 45 seconds though, geddon is just awful. But the only fight that I ever die on is Garr. Every single time I do MC, I wipe on Garr on the first pull. I don't bother to soulstone myself for any other fights because I have them 'on farm', but for some reason I screw up the pull on garr every single time. Its so bad that I KNOW I am going to blow it on the first pull so I soulstone myself and put my portal outside of his aggro range so that I can rez and pull a second time. Garr is 10x easier with a felguard spec, but is way more exciting (usually too exiciting for me...) with an aff spec.

do you only really need only 1 of the 3 ways to get 130 resistances on your pet? is having 5/8 of t2 and the trinket a waste of stats?

15+ Year Old Account
    Just do what I do - grab a paladin or blood dk and say "You hold aggro and self heal, I'll kill it and self heal" and you split the pot and do the entire instance in 1/4 of the time.

This doubles your income per unit time.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Just do what I do - grab a paladin or blood dk and say "You hold aggro and self heal, I'll kill it and self heal" and you split the pot and do the entire instance in 1/4 of the time.

This doubles your income per unit time.
    personally I just like the thrill of doing it alone, already have t1 ever since vanilla so I only do it for the kills themselves because I know I'll never see the bindings drop for me.

There is a potion which removes a magic effect, curse, disease and poison every 5 seconds for 30 seconds, i forgot the name. pre-pot it and use 1 later in the fight

Quote Originally Posted by yawn View Post
    personally I just like the thrill of doing it alone, already have t1 ever since vanilla so I only do it for the kills themselves because I know I'll never see the bindings drop for me.
    What he said. Its not really about the money, thats just a nice side bonus. Most of the time when i go these days its because I am bored and want something to do for an hour or two so the fact that it takes longer is actually a good thing because its helping me kill time. And most importantly, if you run with a pally or a DK, they are going to want the bindings so you just cut your (already low) chances of getting a thunderfury in half.

Quote Originally Posted by yawn View Post
    do you only really need only 1 of the 3 ways to get 130 resistances on your pet? is having 5/8 of t2 and the trinket a waste of stats?
    You don't really need both, but at the same time, your pet is doing 95% of the damage while you just sit there healing him so losing some dps stats shouldnt be an issue. In fact, with that much additional spell resist, your pet will need significantly less healing from you which means you can spend even more time dpsing the adds in the beginning of the fight. You can probably kill the adds a lot faster with 5/8 and the void star because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Crona View Post
    There is a potion which removes a magic effect, curse, disease and poison every 5 seconds for 30 seconds, i forgot the name. pre-pot it and use 1 later in the fight
    Thats a good idea too, is that the thing from STV? jungle remedy? Didn't people use that on the archimonde fight until it got nerfed?
    Last edited by Merckx; 2010-07-09 at 06:01 PM.

Well,just downed Ragnaros Its ironic how he is actually the easiest and least complicated boss to solo in there isnt it? lol The same goes for Executus..died on the first attempt due to some bad RNG with getting teleported to the top..second time was a breeze though.

Btw,i think the potion that was mentioned earlier is http://www.wowwiki.com/Purification_Potion . I was playing with the idea of trying it out when fighting Gehennas..but it seems to me that once you use those Drums/TK trinket or t1 set bonus there is no need for it.

Edit: Actually,i suppose it could be useful for emergency situations..getting too close to Gehennas and being cursed etc
    Last edited by _Myth_; 2010-07-09 at 07:07 PM.

havnt checked if someone said it or not but make absolutly sure soul link isnt active. drain tanking the adds with soul link active will definatly kill your little puppy or put you too far behind by the time they are dead.