Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't use social networking crap. I come to the Internet to NOT be social. I'd rather it be the player's choice to divulge information like names to other players, but this really breaks the illusion of the game world. What if Gorthar the Conqueror was actually some chick named Susan? That's not cool... That's lame, like, REALLY lame. What if the that Troll Mage was Ephraim Embarassinglastname? I'd rather people have Screen Names for their RealId profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    you're not supposed to kill someone unless they kill you first. it's common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Muriko View Post
    If you google my real name, you will find hundreds of people with it. Currently the first 2 pages have me listed as both a professional hockey player, an Iranian journalist, and some owner of a boat website. You don't even find me until page 7. Your point is null and you can't back it up even a little, I from personal experience can fight it up and down with physical proof. All you're using is blind irrational thoughts and paranoid judgements.
    True. But if you cross-reference that with "my dad is a boss at NASA", and any other slip you have EVER made, all conveniently tied to your account, it should be fairly easy to narrow it down.
    Then, all you need is ~$100 and some trial and error to find out every personal detail about you and every member of your family.

Quote Originally Posted by The Painkiller View Post
    There's a Subway outside of my backyard, no idea why there's all these perverts and psychos outside of all your guys' backyards.
    Still too narrow there, champ. Here, let me broaden your scope:
    Hundreds of children in the united states, preteens to 17 year olds get solicited every year via Facebook, Myspace or Twitter meet-ups.
    Still more adult women are assaulted by meet-ups from those same sites; and still more are visited -unwarranted- by these people.

If the world outside your backyard to you is the Subway across the street, you have more issues than any nutjob or psychopath could instill in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nenavn View Post
    I don't use social networking crap. I come to the Internet to NOT be social. I'd rather it be the player's choice to divulge information like names to other players, but this really breaks the illusion of the game world. What if Gorthar the Conqueror was actually some chick named Susan? That's not cool... That's lame, like, REALLY lame. What if the that Troll Mage was Ephraim Embarassinglastname? I'd rather people have Screen Names for their RealId profile.
    That's just it though, it is your choice. You are clicking the AGREE button in the EULA.

---------- Post added 2010-07-08 at 05:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    True. But if you cross-reference that with "my dad is a boss at NASA", and any other slip you have EVER made, all conveniently tied to your account, it should be fairly easy to narrow it down.
    Then, all you need is ~$100 and some trial and error to find out every personal detail about you and every member of your family.
    Trust me, I'm just as upset about this whole thing as the next guy, I'm just fighting it because people are all seemingly forgetting the EULA you agree to every time you patch the game. Whilst I don't care that you know that my real name is, some might, but they need to at least know that they are fighting something they are WILLINGLY agreeing to.
    Bleh

If you google my real name, you will find hundreds of people with it. Currently the first 2 pages have me listed as both a professional hockey player, an Iranian journalist, and some owner of a boat website. You don't even find me until page 7. Your point is null and you can't back it up even a little, I from personal experience can fight it up and down with physical proof. All you're using is blind irrational thoughts and paranoid judgements.
    Yes, we already know you're selfish and narrow-minded and apparently irrational to boot.
    Some people have unique names. With the information you gave us and with a first and last name tied to the account, well...You could very well get a phone call from Stalker McCreeper pretty soon.
    I'll also assume you're not a woman, and your name wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    So because the scenario isn't true in one instance, it's not true at all?

And for the record, a post like that provides plenty of information to find you, assuming we had your real name. Does that not worry you at all?
    I bet it would worry his father :P
    If you say "pls" becuase it's shorter than "please", I'll say "no" becuase it's shorted than "yes".

Quote Originally Posted by LonezWulf
    no lol her dick was bigger than my own

That's just it though, it is your choice. You are clicking the AGREE button in the EULA.

---------- Post added 2010-07-08 at 05:47 AM ----------

Trust me, I'm just as upset about this whole thing as the next guy, I'm just fighting it because people are all seemingly forgetting the EULA you agree to every time you patch the game. Whilst I don't care that you know that my real name is, some might, but they need to at least know that they are fighting something they are WILLINGLY agreeing to.
    I agreed to nothing about my private information being divulged to the forum, because my WoW account is innactive until it's lifted (Likely indefinetly).
    Since when do you simply allow your freedoms to be taken away without raising some protest and fuss about it, to let the powers that be know that it is indeed a POORLY IMPLEMENTED IDEA?

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Yes, we already know you're selfish and narrow-minded and apparently irrational to boot.
    Some people have unique names. With the information you gave us and with a first and last name tied to the account, well...You could very well get a phone call from Stalker McCreeper pretty soon.
    I'll also assume you're not a woman, and your name wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.
    I'm not even being remotely selfish or irrational , you ALL will agree to it when it patches. It's the same thing as signing any sort of papers that say "rules subject to change". It sucks. but in the end, it was you who allowed it.
    Bleh

I'm not even being remotely selfish or irrational , you ALL will agree to it when it patches. It's the same thing as signing any sort of papers that say "rules subject to change". It sucks. but in the end, it was you who allowed it.
    We're not allowing it if we protest the change.
    Seriously, how weak of an individual does it take to simply say "Dem's the rules" and lob off their own limbs because The Rules Said So?

Stood in the Fire The Painkiller's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still too narrow there, champ. Here, let me broaden your scope:
    Hundreds of children in the united states, preteens to 17 year olds get solicited every year via Facebook, Myspace or Twitter meet-ups.
    Still more adult women are assaulted by meet-ups from those same sites; and still more are visited -unwarranted- by these people.

If the world outside your backyard to you is the Subway across the street, you have more issues than any nutjob or psychopath could instill in you.
    I was trying to make a joke, but I see it's back to the drawing board for me...
    Everyone's insane but me...

We're not allowing it if we protest the change.
    Seriously, how weak of an individual does it take to simply say "Dem's the rules" and lob off their own limbs because The Rules Said So?
    Protesting the change will likely help, but protesting it by insulting others isn't how it's done. Blizzard is a good company, and I've trusted them for years, and will continue to do so, even with this change. Maybe you should try taking this to the suggestion forums? I'll gladly go there and back you up with it, but I won't fight a battle until the rules of war are set.(with the opposing side of course, even if they read MMO-champion, which they do, it's just not the right place to do so)
    Bleh

Protesting the change will likely help, but protesting it by insulting others isn't how it's done. Blizzard is a good company, and I've trusted them for years, and will continue to do so, even with this change. Maybe you should try taking this to the suggestion forums? I'll gladly go there and back you up with it, but I won't fight a battle until the rules of war are set.(with the opposing side of course, even if they read MMO-champion, which they do, it's just not the right place to do so)
    I've already got a thread up and running there, actually.

I've already got a thread up and running there, actually.
    Link it up, I'll be there.

---------- Post added 2010-07-08 at 06:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ammikaameri View Post
    Why would it worry someone? I don't mind people knowing my name. I'm not ashamed of it. If you search enough with this nick name of mine, you will find out my real name too, as I've linked my facebook with this nickname on some sites. Big fucking deal.

Oh and no, even if the media or something gives you an assumption that you wouldn't get a job because you play WoW, its not true. Hired WoW player and was just happy to have someone to talk about the new patches while on coffeebreaks.
    Hah yeah, I had "Computer gaming" listed as a hobby on my resume and got into a long conversation with an employer about it , he was a big DAOC player. I'm pretty sure it helped get me the job >_>
    Bleh

Some of you people seem to be the same kind of people that pay with a check instead of ATM/Credit Card and refuse to give a drivers license.

And a vast majority of you seem to be even worse and are the guys I watch on Cops that refuse to give an ID to the cop when they pull you over. Only difference between the guy on cops and you is that he's paranoid because of drugs and doesn't want the cop knowing he's got 4 warrants for his arrest and you're just paranoid about some random Joe you'll never meet knowing your name.

Look: this post won't change your mind, but seriously. You're all retarded. The only people that SHOULD be worried about stalkers are the famous people that play this game. IF they post on the forums, they'll either be stopping soon, or they won't care and they'll go download an addon to make their ignore list larger.

Like was posted elsewhere, we all know Ghostcrawler's name, WHERE he works, and a large number of us hate his guts for one reason or another. He doesn't go around wearing a bullet proof vest. He doesn't have a personal SWAT team providing around the clock protection. He goes home after work, does his thing, goes to the store like everyone else, gets gas, goes to Denny's, and wakes up in the morning and goes to work. I GUARANTEE he takes either I-5 or I-405 EVERY day to work. How many people do you think stand on the side of the freeway with guns pointed down the road waiting specifically for him: 0.

Stop with the irrational paranoia and DON'T POST ON THE OFFICIAL WOW FORUMS IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR NAME OUT THERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammikaameri View Post
    Why would it worry someone? I don't mind people knowing my name. I'm not ashamed of it. If you search enough with this nick name of mine, you will find out my real name too, as I've linked my facebook with this nickname on some sites. Big fucking deal.

Oh and no, even if the media or something gives you an assumption that you wouldn't get a job because you play WoW, its not true. Hired WoW player and was just happy to have someone to talk about the new patches while on coffeebreaks.
    Certain fields aren't quite so lucky; and you can never really know.
    It's, again, a gamble not worth taking.

---------- Post added 2010-07-08 at 06:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neressa View Post
    Some of you people seem to be the same kind of people that pay with a check instead of ATM/Credit Card and refuse to give a drivers license.

And a vast majority of you seem to be even worse and are the guys I watch on Cops that refuse to give an ID to the cop when they pull you over. Only difference between the guy on cops and you is that he's paranoid because of drugs and doesn't want the cop knowing he's got 4 warrants for his arrest and you're just paranoid about some random Joe you'll never meet knowing your name.

Look: this post won't change your mind, but seriously. You're all retarded. The only people that SHOULD be worried about stalkers are the famous people that play this game. IF they post on the forums, they'll either be stopping soon, or they won't care and they'll go download an addon to make their ignore list larger.

Like was posted elsewhere, we all know Ghostcrawler's name, WHERE he works, and a large number of us hate his guts for one reason or another. He doesn't go around wearing a bullet proof vest. He doesn't have a personal SWAT team providing around the clock protection. He goes home after work, does his thing, goes to the store like everyone else, gets gas, goes to Denny's, and wakes up in the morning and goes to work. I GUARANTEE he takes either I-5 or I-405 EVERY day to work. How many people do you think stand on the side of the freeway with guns pointed down the road waiting specifically for him: 0.

Stop with the irrational paranoia and DON'T POST ON THE OFFICIAL WOW FORUMS IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR NAME OUT THERE.
    Making baseless assumptions gets you everywhere~
    Seriously though,you're pretty naive and damaged. The world you live in must be a great place. it really is a shame it's not real.
    I'll also take a stab in the dark you're not a woman; and are named John Smith. The worry is not for you; but do at least try to understand the position of female gamers and people with unique names.

Also, if you're seriously this much for the RealID forced implementation...-Why-? What gain do you get from seeing my real name? Do you need it for anything? Does it enhance your playing experience at all?
    The answer is No.
    Next question:
    Does it hurt other people's playing experience; feeling uncomfortable posting on the game's community forum?
    Yes.

You're either a too-dedicated troll or a halfwit with a sensitive capslock key.

I don't use capslock. I use my shift key.

Oh, and Minky (or Jilxzan Xhwanchalo - Or whatever your real 'oh so unique' name is), you immediately come to the conclusion that my real name is "John Smith" or "Adam Wilson" or something else amazingly common. It's not. I google my name, I only see my Facebook page, my old MySpace page, and a bunch of newspaper articles that mentioned my name. Yeah. I'm rather uniquely named. I Google my last name alone, and only then do I get a broad range of people from West to East Coast including Canada, France, England, and Germany.

I honestly don't care if they implement it or not. I don't post on the official forums any more. I haven't in about 3 years. I got bored of it. See this, 12 posts here. I don't post a lot. Do I troll, yeah, once in a while, but who doesn't? And does it help the playing experience at all? Yes and no. Yes because I can contact my REAL LIFE friends no matter what game they're playing (on Battle.net) without having to call them.

Story time: Friend called my cell phone one day and says "hey, where you at?" my reply: "dwarven district". How did I know he wasn't just playing the SC2 beta? He was on the road home from work. Had he been able to just send me a message in game, i'd have been a bit less embarrassed.
    Last edited by Neressa; 2010-07-08 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Don't feel the need to up my post count.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get me.

Certain fields aren't quite so lucky; and you can never really know.
    It's, again, a gamble not worth taking.

---------- Post added 2010-07-08 at 06:06 AM ----------

Making baseless assumptions gets you everywhere~
    Seriously though,you're pretty naive and damaged. The world you live in must be a great place. it really is a shame it's not real.
    I'll also take a stab in the dark you're not a woman; and are named John Smith. The worry is not for you; but do at least try to understand the position of female gamers and people with unique names.

Also, if you're seriously this much for the RealID forced implementation...-Why-? What gain do you get from seeing my real name? Do you need it for anything? Does it enhance your playing experience at all?
    The answer is No.
    Next question:
    Does it hurt other people's playing experience; feeling uncomfortable posting on the game's community forum?
    Yes.

This is the one thing I do agree with. For a male gamer I don't really care if you know who I am, where I live, etc. I'm just simply not threatened. However, a female gamer faces a completely different spectrum of the change, i've met some creepy ass guys who play this game, and almost all of my female friends who play, have met plenty of them as well. It's a sad thing to say that this game we all love and enjoy is filled with a lot of the scum that shouldn't even be allowed to leave their house in the morning, but really all they'll have to do to avoid it is to post on here rather than the WoW forums. Let's be honest, you can have way better conversations here.

And to the technical support thing you mentioned earlier, is that really the only way? Could you not just call them?
    Bleh

This is the one thing I do agree with. For a male gamer I don't really care if you know who I am, where I live, etc. I'm just simply not threatened. However, a female gamer faces a completely different spectrum of the change, i've met some creepy ass guys who play this game, and almost all of my female friends who play, have met plenty of them as well. It's a sad thing to say that this game we all love and enjoy is filled with a lot of the scum that shouldn't even be allowed to leave their house in the morning, but really all they'll have to do to avoid it is to post on here rather than the WoW forums. Let's be honest, you can have way better conversations here.

And to the technical support thing you mentioned earlier, is that really the only way? Could you not just call them?
    Some people much prefer the WoW forums to here.
    It's all preference.
    Being effectively blocked off from the official WoW forums because you're female is a very bad stance.

The next time you have an issue, you try calling the Blizzard hotline. Good luck.

-You apply for a job. Employer googles your name and sees your name on an MMO forum site. Good bye job. (I realize it's wrong of them to stereotype; but nothing's stopping them from doing so quietly).

-You have a Unique; or Ethnic name, and because of that people switch gears instantaniously when they speak to you. It's not right, it's not ethical, but it happens. Some people speak to John Smith differently than they speak to Ali Marusivich.

-You're a female gamer with a female name in a sea of male forum-posters. You get singled out and harassed even moreso than you do for speaking in Ventrilo.

-You have a Unique; or Ethnic name, and because of that people switch gears instantaniously when they speak to you. It's not right, it's not ethical, but it happens. Some people speak to John Smith differently than they speak to Ali Marusivich.
    Just point something out in your list:

The first two only apply if you have an unique name (at least on google). Otherwise how is your employer or the stalker going to know that "John Doe" on that mmo forum is you and not some other John Doe? You see, I'm not even going to talk about how you should stay away from employers who think mmos are bad by default.

The second two are actually kind of good. Because those people will get a nice time without the forum (and hopefully blizzard games) when they act out that way. All in all it could make the forums a nicer place. I do see your problems with privacy, but *I know* it wont go live exactly how it was announced, so I rather point out flawed points in your argumentation :P
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?