Thread: Mmr Opinions

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Mmr Opinions

I was wondering if anyone was encountering the same problem I have with mmr in arenas. Whenever I enter an arena, and take into account this is always a fresh 80, I end up encountering fully geared players (shoulders, sometimes 2200 weapon) who are at a mmr of at least 1800+. Now I usually have an even ratio of wins and losses but I am still sitting at 1800+ mmr. Personally, this system seems to be complete crap. I cannot play with my friends because I am undergeared and their mmr is above 2200 and I cannot start a new character because I end up facing the same geared people before I rerolled. What are your experiences or thoughts on this?

With who do you enter the arena ?

Tbh i have the same problem. I play arena occasionally, my team rating is uber crap, and im still facing team with full wrath gear + rating.. But in my opinion this was always the case..

Yea you have to ride a pretty horrible storm at first which can knock your confidense - me and a hpala play 1700 2v2 and were both nubs (first season of arena, did some season 2 on priest back in the day is all) - we have a warrior friend whos pretty fresh but ok geared (full relent/wrath gloves, 264 byrntroll)

But we have no idea how this set up works, I'll hold my hands up and say at 1200 we shouldnt face 1200 teams because we have 1700 experience - but for us three to go up against these teams last night:
    Disc/tree/warrior - 2170 2v2 rating on tree/wars 2v2, priest 2k
    RMP - 2010 rating in 2s (pri/rog) 1960 on mage
    Elesham/afflic/pala - warlock was some freak, I am guessing and dont have any evidense but he had 2200 wep and I think ive seen him on AJ ranking pages near 2500

Anyway they butchered us like it was nothing, we dont have a clue how to protect ourselves yet, our hpala has trouble in 2v2 keeping me up vs 277 warriors (or just great wars wit 264s) never mind a warrior and a dk on me while a druids cycloning him.

We did tear some teams apart but tbh people who "deserve" to be 1700/1800 like me and the lock will fly up there anyway - so why give us 2k rated teams rather than 1400 when we are at 1400? (only like 40 games so far methinks, but lost 8 of those, 2-3 maybe cos we just sucked but definately 5 to 1800+ teams)

regardless, not qqing too much, our rating will get to 1700 in a short time IMO - I just worry if say, our warrior was really new to pvp - what would you do then?

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    With who do you enter the arena ?
    I play a frost mage, full furious, you know the basics; my partner is a destruction warlock. Neither of us have entered arenas on these characters and our comp isn't easy especially when people out-gear us (rogues in particular). We do have a lot of experience but when he dies before cloak drops theres really not too much I can do. Mmr really drives me crazy it never fixed anything except possible win trading (which people got banned for anyways) and forces you to not play with your friends. I'd rather lose to a 3k rated team twice because they were leveling the team (aka bc) than have to constantly *farm* games against people who are ridiculously high rated in comparison.

I saw MMR and thought: Measles Mumps Rubella.

It's ok kids, the vaccine is safe and does not cause autism. This has been a public service provided by yours truly. Get your children vaccinated!

http://tallguywrites.livejournal.com/148012.html

There's a simple solution, play more games.

If you lose alot because of overgeared opponents your MMR will eventually lower, if you win 50/50 you will win SHITLOADS of rating and you are at home at that MMR. Once you hit 1200 rating, you will still be gaining 20-25 rating per win if you play on 1800 MMR and win, if you don't it should lower and normalize out. Also, if you play at way higher MMR than your team rating that's good: you don't lose alot of rating per match (3-8), but you can gain alot (16-24)

Quote Originally Posted by shellphown View Post
    there's a simple solution, play more games.

If you lose alot because of overgeared opponents your mmr will eventually lower, if you win 50/50 you will win shitloads of rating and you are at home at that mmr. Once you hit 1200 rating, you will still be gaining 20-25 rating per win if you play on 1800 mmr and win, if you don't it should lower and normalize out. Also, if you play at way higher mmr than your team rating that's good: You don't lose alot of rating per match (3-8), but you can gain alot (16-24)
    this

The first time you enter arena with a new character the game will put you on 1500 MMR allways.
    So in the beginning you will face some higher teams probs but this should go down.

In general I think MMR is a decent system, it prevents the 2 seconds burst games cuz you completely outgear/outskill the other team