Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So Cataclysm + graphics upgrade?

Hi, i have been taking few months break from WoW and now the new cataclysm hype is starting to bite me, so just wanted to ask that since this is unofficially called "WoW 2.0" upgrade, will they be doing anything about grapics except new water animation (afaik)? Tryed to google it but didnt find anything about this subject. Thanks.

They've got some new "sunbeam" graphics (which look amazing) and the draw distance (how far you can see) has been nearly doubled. Lots more grass and other foliage around too. Just look at the screenshots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmodan View Post
    Hi, i have been taking few months break from WoW and now the new cataclysm hype is starting to bite me, so just wanted to ask that since this is unofficially called "WoW 2.0" upgrade, will they be doing anything about grapics except new water animation (afaik)? Tryed to google it but didnt find anything about this subject. Thanks.
    I remember them saying something about finally adding multi-core support, so it should run much smoother if you have a multi-core processor.

15+ Year Old Account
    They're updating the graphics through mostly higher resolution textures and improving the environment rather than directly re-doing models or re-doing the engine. It's hard to describe, but you can browse the collection of beta screenshots I've uploaded to see what I mean.

This is a good example (Durotar)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jcj64200031 View Post
    I remember them saying something about finally adding multi-core support, so it should run much smoother if you have a multi-core processor.
    Yes, do want.

nope, guildy got into a beta and says everythings fine on a lesser comp.

They've added multicore support (where you don't need to edit your config.wtf) around like wotlk V 3.3.0 or V3.3.3

They've added like mentioned the drawdistance further, more foliage, further viewing distance, new water effects and "sun shafts(beams).

Also there is experimental DX11 added (mainly effects water, draw distance a little and fog type stuff a little)

Not much of a fps drop from wotlk, unless you turn on DX11 and look at an ocean + alot stuff going on.

They need to add HDR (High Dynamic Range) finally, been around for years and it's about time it found it's way into WoW beyond a 3rd party mod. Nice thing is it's one of the optional features that players could disable if their systems can't handle it.

Deleted
    Really? Fark yeah!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's already some multi-core support, for up to three cores. But I heard it wasn't very good. *shrug*

All models seem to have a much higher poly count too. I.E. they look better up close.

Dude, must find source! That will be awesome.

The game already has multicore support... it's had it for over a year now iirc. Although it doesn't offer any benefits on more than 2 cores.

Their apparently isn't much of an FPS drop if that's what you're worried about. The graphics look improved, at least a bit. Then again, WoW has always taken more to do less...problem with being an older game.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuitous View Post
    They're updating the graphics through mostly higher resolution textures and improving the environment rather than directly re-doing models or re-doing the engine. It's hard to describe, but you can browse the collection of beta screenshots I've uploaded to see what I mean.

This is a good example (Durotar)
    Thanks for your photobucket, I enjoyed watching your screenshots alot ! And damn, the graphics are really really nice.

Currently in the beta. I go from 60 FPS solid to no more than 40 if I turn the new water effects on.

On another note, the texture enhancements really are very nice. I never really noticed it in the screenshots, but when I first logged in my first reaction was "Everything looks better..."

Be it changes to textures, better lighting or both. Everything looks better and colours are FAR more vibrant.

Deleted
    Quick question; Does any of the foliage sway in the wind or move around at all?

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    Thanks for your photobucket, I enjoyed watching your screenshots alot ! And damn, the graphics are really really nice.
    To be honest it just looks like they increased the default engine settings (or gave more control over them through the interface). There are already console commands in the game which let you increase stuff like view range and density of grass/bushes/etc.
    Still, looks much better than Durotar looks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xathian View Post
    Currently in the beta. I go from 60 FPS solid to no more than 40 if I turn the new water effects on.

On another note, the texture enhancements really are very nice. I never really noticed it in the screenshots, but when I first logged in my first reaction was "Everything looks better..."

Be it changes to textures, better lighting or both. Everything looks better and colours are FAR more vibrant.
    Turn off Vsync, you won't lose as much fps then

Quote Originally Posted by TinyScout View Post
    Quick question; Does any of the foliage sway in the wind or move around at all?
    no, it was too much for peoples pc's/causing crashes and removed back in alpha.

Fortuitous...is that Durotar??