Thread: Active account?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Active account?

Alright so my WoW account has been inactive for awhile now but I'm wondering if that will affect my chances of getting into the beta. I've had mixed responses from other forum post but I still don't feel like I have a 'real' answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueMexx View Post
    ''Q: Who is eligible for the Cataclysm Beta opt-in?

A: Any player who has an active World of Warcraft subscription, World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, and World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King is eligible. The account must be active when the beta starts in order to be eligible to receive an invitation.''
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixez View Post
    Finally got a response on that email regarding who is eligible for Beta.

"**Please Note: In order to opt-in to upcoming beta tests, at least one Blizzard Entertainment game must be attached to the Battle.net account used to sign up. A World of Warcraft trial does not count toward this requirement.**"

The response didn't specify that an ACTIVE subscription was required, which was the question I asked. I sent in two different emails asking this, both responses not specifying that an ACTIVE subscription is required. I think it's safe to assume now that it isn't.

So is an active WoW account needed or do you just need an 'active' game on your account like lets say Warcraft 3. And if you do need an active account at the start of the beta would putting time on my account right now be worth my time or would it just be a waste of money and time?

in all my research i read both of those and that's all i could come up with. my account is inactive also and im wondering the same. though, i might be re-subbing next week anyways >.<
    85 Retribution Paladin | 85 Fire Mage | 85 Frost Death Knight | 85 Elemental Shaman | 85 Demonology Warlock |85 Arms Warrior | 85 Marksman Hunter

yea I'm thinking about a resub as well maybe just level something to waste some time and get another class ready for cata =/ just would really like to get a straight forward answer

The FAQ you quoted goes on to specify what is considered an active account. The FAQ is linked to by a Blue and is Stickied for it's content.

Yeah you must have an active account...

What I can't believe is how many people who haven't been playing WoW lately (even for some time) want to get into Beta over those of us who have been active and paying our monthly subscription.

Deleted
    some obviously think beta = cool new experience
    but beta = balance, bug search and report, its not for having fun alone

Quote Originally Posted by AuthurDent View Post
    The FAQ you quoted goes on to specify what is considered an active account. The FAQ is linked to by a Blue and is Stickied for it's content.

Yeah you must have an active account...

What I can't believe is how many people who haven't been playing WoW lately (even for some time) want to get into Beta over those of us who have been active and paying our monthly subscription.
    Thanks for the answer. And as for the not paying part, I payed from the start of vanilla to just this past christmas so, it has nothing to do with not wanting to pay or being cheap, it's just that I was not overly impressed with WoTLK but I am looking forward to cata

Quote Originally Posted by Meythia View Post
    some obviously think beta = cool new experience
    but beta = balance, bug search and report, its not for having fun alone
    I know that beta isn't 'all about the fun' I've been in the WotLK beta and SC2 beta and loved both and was really hoping to get a chance of looking at cataclysm and saying what I think is good/bad seeing as I greatly dislike the way WotLK turned out

---------- Post added 2010-07-11 at 12:14 PM ----------

one more thing if you would care to answer as well do you know if I was to start playing WoW now and activated my account if I would have any shot at getting in or did you HAVE to have an ACTIVE account at the START of the beta?
    Last edited by LockedOn; 2010-07-11 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling

15+ Year Old Account
    I would be guessing you need an active account when they are sending out the invites, so soon the next beta invite starts which basicly mean another beta is starting (in my opinion) :P

you already quoted your answer. so what else do you expect to hear?

you need to have an active account, thats it.

edit: yes it would be a waste of time, since its not 100% that you will get into the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by tanked View Post
    you already quoted your answer. so what else do you expect to hear?

you need to have an active account, thats it.

edit: yes it would be a waste of time, since its not 100% that you will get into the beta.
    When I was looking through the forums I came upon these two answer's frequently and I didn't know which on to believe because the both seem to come from reliable sources.
    As for your second bit, I understand that I don't have a guaranteed shot at the beta if I reactivate. Yet if I was to reactivate say today before the next wave of invites go out would I have as much of a chance to get into the beta as you or would I be 'flagged' for having an inactive account at the start of beta
    Seriously if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of you life. It'll spread into your work, into your morality into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level - Bruce Lee

IF you want to activate your account solely for the chance to get into Beta.. I'd say it's a waste of time...

However, if you want to activate your account and fiddle around until Cataclysm comes along... or maybe have a 1/50 chance of getting selected for beta.. IF you are eligible anyways.. then by all means log on in.

The FAQ did say that you needed to be "active" at the "start" of beta. It is possible they drew seections at that time... and are only enabling the invites as needed. In which case, you would not be on that list.

Come on off that $15.. you KNOW you want to...

10+ Year Old Account
    As it says on Battle.net when I tried opting in for beta the first time; "You need to register a Blizzard game before you can opt in"

So I registered WoW, and opted in for Cata beta and SCII beta.

Even though it does make sense to have an active WoW account, I really doubt you need to have it activated to recieve a beta invite.

I even tried registering a new battle.net account and register WC3 TFT there, and then opted in.

So my bet is, as long as you have a Blizzard game registered on your Battle.net account, you can opt in and recieve a beta invite.

I recently opted in to the beta, because I'm waiting for Cataclysm.

I've had my account expired for some time now, because I currently find WoW boring (ADD ftw) and am not in the situation that I can shell out $180 a year to play something I'm not interested in. I'm more than likely going to pay another $40 for yet another expansion.

Beta invites should be sent out and then disabled if the person does not respond within the week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedOn View Post
    When I was looking through the forums I came upon these two answer's frequently and I didn't know which on to believe because the both seem to come from reliable sources.
    As for your second bit, I understand that I don't have a guaranteed shot at the beta if I reactivate. Yet if I was to reactivate say today before the next wave of invites go out would I have as much of a chance to get into the beta as you or would I be 'flagged' for having an inactive account at the start of beta
    yea, i understand.

actually, if i remember correctly, you have to have had your acct active for 90 days to be eligable. i have no link to a source, sorry. but im pretty sure thats the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats not how I see it.

If you can opt in for the beta, you should be able to recieve the invites, yes?

So I register WC3 TFT as the only game on my Battle.net account, and I can opt in for Cata and SC II.

How unlogical would it be if I also needed an active WoW account to get a beta invite to either Cata or SC II?

If that was the case, then you souldn't be able to opt in without an active WoW account.

EDIT:
    PS: tanked, is your sig supposed to have that typo? cleaver/clever

Quote Originally Posted by Antatra View Post
    Thats not how I see it.

If you can opt in for the beta, you should be able to receive the invites, yes?

So I register WC3 TFT as the only game on my Battle.net account, and I can opt in for Cata and SC II.

How unlogical would it be if I also needed an active WoW account to get a beta invite to either Cata or SC II?

If that was the case, then you souldn't be able to opt in without an active WoW account.
    This was my exact thinking as well. When I went into originally opt in for beta's all I had on my account was an active WoW account, at that time I was able to opt in for SC 2 and Diablo 3. Later on I added some more games (not any Diablo) and my WoW account went inactive. On my beta preferences I am still 'able' to get an inv for Starcraft (got into SC2) Diablo (though I own no Diablo games) and WoW (though my account is inactive). Why would Blizzard allow you to opt in to a beta that they would just blacklist you from? Seems like a waste of time not only for us but Blizzard as well.
    Seriously if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of you life. It'll spread into your work, into your morality into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level - Bruce Lee

I am still 'able' to get an inv for Starcraft (got into SC2)
    I don't think I have heard of anyone opting into the SC2 beta and not getting in. O.o

As for Cata, from an account point of view, it makes sense that if you can opt in to the beta, you should be eligible. I can understand why they might add a limiter that requires a WoW account to be merged into the b.net account, but it seems unnecessarily complicated to allow people to opt in, but then remove their entries if the account isn't active.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaluri View Post
    I don't think I have heard of anyone opting into the SC2 beta and not getting in. O.o

As for Cata, from an account point of view, it makes sense that if you can opt in to the beta, you should be eligible. I can understand why they might add a limiter that requires a WoW account to be merged into the b.net account, but it seems unnecessarily complicated to allow people to opt in, but then remove their entries if the account isn't active.
    Well I agree with your reasoning but I've seen so many people battling over the need for an active account and just really was hoping for an answer not really getting it here though I'm just getting both sides again.

Well I agree with your reasoning but I've seen so many people battling over the need for an active account and just really was hoping for an answer not really getting it here though I'm just getting both sides again.
    Asking here and looking for a 100% accurate and official answer is kind of silly. You need to ask on the official forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaluri View Post
    You have now, as I haven't gotten an invite yet, and I opted in the second the option was available.

Not too happy considering I was in the WotLK Beta.

I asked for a clearer response. I'll get it soon, but even then im sure people will doubt it.