10+ Year Old Account

Question How Bad Is Leather Gear?

So, I just picked up the Chestguard of the Frigid Noose(Heroic) in an alt ICC-10 run a little while ago.

Nobody wanted it at all, so I figured I would take it and replace my ToC-crafted chest piece. I'm still learning how to use femaledwarf.com, but from what I could tell, the new leather chest was an upgrade. Not a massive upgrade, but still an upgrade.

I was happy......until someone chuckled at me for wearing a leather item on my Hunter.

I don't mind too much, since I know it's an upgrade, but how bad is it to wear even one piece of leather gear as a Hunter?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    its not bad at all

Deleted
    mate that hunter is a kid,kid complain about this things ,if it's an upgrade then you should use it you know??? as in the end Leather is good if you know what i mean ^^

No, wearing leather as a hunter is fine. If its better than what you had (and that is better than a lot of mail gear) and you didnt take it off of someone else then you shouldnt care what people think. Its better than the 245 toc crafted chest, you are right its not a huge upgrade but it is, so you were right to go for it.

If its an upgrade, use it, but remember, hunters need int to not go oom (doh) and haste aint that good. (not saying its a bad item)

Quote Originally Posted by Prillypox View Post
    mate that hunter is a kid,kid complain about this things ,if it's an upgrade then you should use it you know??? as in the end Leather is good if you know what i mean ^^
    Or an old fat guy trying to raise his self esteem. I don't recall complaining about things when I was a kid playing this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dracco4heads View Post
    If its an upgrade, use it, but remember, hunters need int to not go oom (doh) and haste aint that good. (not saying its a bad item)
    Haste is good for Hunters to reach the softcap for Steady Shot, also after patch 4.0 Haste will be our regen stat

My warrior was the crafted Leather boots because she lacks expertise and it was an upgrade over her previous item. Just because it's not your primary armor class doesn't make it a bad item, that's like saying agility items are bad for warriors and paladins(Agi Rep Ring is better than the Str one for both classes).

Would I give classes that primarily wear leather or use agility priority? Sure I would. Would I let an upgrade go to DE because no one else wanted it? Hell no.

As for the random player, don't mind him. He's an idiot if he wouldn't do the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, thanks for all the feedback .

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Haste is good for Hunters to reach the softcap for Steady Shot

Maybe in TBC, but this is not true currently. Softcapping haste for your steady shot will come at the cost of other much more valuable stats. An MM hunter will do best with 0 haste and all of that itemization spent on other stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leather is usually bad because it will almost always have less AP than even mail pieces a few levels less, due to intellect being on the mail and Careful Aim.

However, if it's a big upgrade, go for it. If it's a noticeable increase in all stats but an AP or two lower (don't forget to convert the Agi and Int, the Blizzard item comparison doesn't do that!) then yes, it's a good upgrade.

In Cataclysm, it will be a definite negative to ever go to leather, since it will reduce your Mastery.

---------- Post added 2010-07-11 at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Haste is good for Hunters to reach the softcap for Steady Shot
    Stop spreading misinformation. First warning.

Haste is the least-desirable stat for hunters. It doesn't lower DPS, but if it's gotten at the expense of other stats, it's not worth it. "Perfect" gear has the normal Agi Int Stam, and AP, Crit rating, and Arp, or AP, Hit rating, Arp.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Our BIS boots are leather so tell him to STFU and learn the class first

Frostbitten Fur Boots
    Last edited by Vailen; 2010-07-12 at 01:15 PM.

Deleted
    while you might be yelled at by rogues and druids for taking their gear, or by generally any ignorant child/fat guy for not wearing your primary armor class, gear from a few tiers higher is often better, simply because there are more itemization points. only in some cases, where an item from a lower tier is significantly better itemized, can gear from a higher tier be a downgrade.

i upgraded my ToC5hc plate boots to the ICC25 leather boots from marrowgar on my paladin, in almost the same situation as you have. it dropped, no leather user wanted it for MS, i rolled, people didn't complain and i got it. if it is an upgrade and noone with that AC needs it, you should go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vailen View Post

Frostbitten Fur Boots
    They used to be... but point taken.
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=54577

Get an Addon called RatingBuster.
    It will be the best decision you've ever made for deciding on upgrades.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vailen View Post

Frostbitten Fur Boots
    This...at least until halion's heroic mail boots...but hell yeah...an upgrade is an upgrade....leather or mail

anyone laughing at you for wearing a piece of leather doesnt know what hes talking aboput

Its bad as in if you have a full set, you will burn mana quickly, and will find yourself being called a idiot. But it's good if you're replacing a starter green with a ICC Epic, but you will want to switch it out with Hunter Mail ASAP.