Fit my playstyle

New player posting on a friend’s account. I’m wondering which class I should play. I only care about doing max level PvP. I have played a few of my friend’s characters, but it is hard to tell what I could really stick with. Here is what I have found playing his classes so far in BGs and some arena:

Warlock (80) – I like all the little tricks the warlock has even though it seems like fear is a bit useless. Everyone seems to be able to get out of fear so easy. He has aff and destro PvP specs on it and I like the feel of destro better, but aff seems to perform better. He said destro gets weakened a ton by LoS in arena as well. I can kill just about anyone in a duel.

Death Knight (80) – I like being able to take a lot of damage, but it doesn’t do near the damage that the lock does. Also it doesn’t have as much control. The pet isn’t really that useful except for the stun. I really feel like I’m trading damage for survivability. He said that DKs are weak in arena right now, but they might make a comeback in cata. I can usually outlast anyone in a duel.

Rogue (80) – I really like stealth… a lot. The damage and control are good. Survivability is awful. Anything that can make it past my stunlock + vanish + another stunlock + prep vanish + another opener will usually kill me. I hate seeing healers on this guy and also on the DK. I also hate not having my CDs on this guy. Arenas where I can get the sap + opener on the target I want go really well and everything else (which is most) is a loss. If the class can take my opening damage I’ll lose in a duel.

Mage (80) – Control is awesome, but I have a hard time killing just about anyone. The mage isn’t geared so that is probably it. Once again I hate not having my CDs up and I hate seeing healers. Survivability isn’t bad, but with only 1 CD skill to heal myself I really get a little tired of ending up dead if the fight stretches out. Can’t really win duels, but I think it is the gear.

Hunter (62) – Seems like an awesome class, but it is hard to tell since it is not 80. It is geared in BoAs. I can do a lot of damage and can kite pretty well. In a way reminds me of the lock with all the tricks. I got owned by a feral druid a few times that I couldn’t pull out of stealth. The druid was very hard to kite and did a ton of damage when it got to me. I feel like I’m as good as dead when a melee gets on me. I would think that the hunter would have to LoS weakness in arena too.

I have been playing for about a year off and on using his account and I’m ready to get my own. I just don’t want to spend a ton of time leveling something and then wishing I had picked something else. I like to play aggressive, hate the idea of healing, I love control, burst damage is awesome, and I love being able to survive other classes big CDs by using something that makes me immune or untargetable (like iceblock and vanish).

Must.....resist....urge...to...saaaaaaaay....

Fail.

DK's do loads of dammage its just you who fails at playing it get your facts straight.

and lock fear useless? I want to violate you with a damn cactus.

Deleted
    Go warrior, find a disc priest to babysit you in 2's or double healer in 3's
    ???
    profit

By the looks of it warlock really is your thing. Warlocks are one of the least CD-dependant classes ingame.

If you don't enjoy rogue without cooldowns up you better don't roll it, really. Big part of the rogue class is cooldown management and killing/pressureing people without using all your cooldowns, this may ofcourse prove interesting for some players but not you so it seems.

A DK may not seem to have a lot of control, but is still pretty strong. Pet gnaw+silence on a healer while you are beating up a DPS can be really great, then again if you don't make it with that you'll get healed through. DK has alot of defence as you said and is a really good anti-kiter/peeler/assistant-kiter in arena.

Mage damage may seem low, even with gear, but control is indeed awesome. Mages are a real team player, if you don't like controlling enemies while your partners do the most damage, mage is not for you. Mages are also quite about patience. Oh and pretty nice survivability against anything but a DK.

Can't say anything about hunters.

Classes you didn't try:
    Ret/prot pala is probably going to be too faceroll for you. It doesn't have alot of "tricks" imo, and while you can dish out alot of damage they are still pretty reliant on other classes.

Warrior, if you don't mind sitting in CC for 40 seconds just to get a 10 sec window of high damage and pressure, don't roll warrior. Survivability is also rather bad. Prot does have alot of control and more freedom but I can't say how the playstyle is.

Shamans are also pretty reliant on other classes, the only spec I could recommend for what you said would be Ele, not so cooldown reliant, some nice kiting abilities and tricks. But overall you probably won't like this class.

Shadowpriest is somewhat comparable to affliction with different tricks and a different way of survivability. A little more cooldown reliant but can panic heal. Don't think this is the class for you though.

We can't talk about druids because balance is getting a lot of changes which can turn out great (and would force people to learn fighting something new, giving you a little edge), and feral is somewhat like a rogue but with less? control, some selfhealing, no vanish! and no wound.

All in all I think you should go with destro lock, it was burst damage like you mentioned, alot of tricks, decent control. Destro is easy to play at amateur level while still being good (I can tell from PTR), but can also be crazy if played at high level. You'll probably like this most.

Thank you ShellPhown that was an awesome reply. I do like playing the warlock a lot even though I think out of all the classes I get focused the most on the lock (with good reason. 5 seconds = kill if you don't shut me down). I'll just need to figure out how to counter the LoS in arena.

DK's do loads of dammage its just you who fails at playing it get your facts straight.
    Yeah, probably a poor choice of words on my part. I guess what I meant to say is that when fighting someone in arena who is getting heals it is hard to burst them down without the gargoyle and sometimes even with it.

and lock fear useless? I want to violate you with a damn cactus.
    Well... it isn't useless. It is just not as useful as the rogue stuns. That and feral druids, BM hunters, DKs, Warriors, Paladins, and Rogues can become immune to it for some amount of time. Also tremor totem and fear ward is there. It wouldn't be a big deal, but once it happens a lock can't ice block, disperse, or travel form/ghost wolf run. Warlocks have DC (if you aren't also immune to it at the time) and teleport (you know where it is, so you'll be right back on me and have you tried to use it in BGs? It isn't anywhere near as good as blink).

Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    Go warrior, find a disc priest to babysit you in 2's or double healer in 3's
    ???
    profit
    just bored about all comment about who say take this class profit, go with him profit, some comp are better that any orther one, but dont say me that a warrior exeample with a holy pally(atm the better 2s on arena junkie or druid if you prefer) can get 2k just becuz the comp is good? if theses guys never done arena or just a little bit, they will fail jsut to get 1300... so... you fail.......
    Last edited by rugglee; 2010-07-12 at 07:29 PM.

Ah ye, I forgot to mention, if you are going for a lock or if you are going to play your mate's lock, this should be your spec to go. It has 9 points free to take 3 of 4 of either Imp Succubus (I personally love this pet for destro, but felhunter may end up better in arena situations as seduction diminishes with fear), Demonic Aegis, Master Summoner or Soul Leech.

Ofcourse I don't know if you're allowed to spec/glyph it, but it has the main talents like conflag slow, soul link and shadowfury (some tend to skip it for pve).
    I personally love the succubus because it allows you to CC while CC'd or silenced, and allows for double CC (a 2v1 or simply in arena, sedu 1, fear 2 (nuke target).

Oh and one little trick you might appreciate, Immolate=>shadowfury-on-immolate-land=>conflag on dispellers to get your haste thing off. Gl & HF!