Lowbie Rage Issue

Hey there,

Im tanking instances in the LFG tool as a bear but am having trouble getting initial aggro on packs of mobs due to lack of rage.
    I can use enrage but thats on a 1 minute cooldown so its not always available when I need it.

How are bears supposed to manage? Warriors get charge which gives them initial rage... Our charge does not.

I run into a pack of mobs and have to wait for them to hit me before I have enough rage to do a swipe or demo roar
    asking dps to wait for me to build up rage is useless

Deleted
    at lower levels, getting aggro as bear is kinda hard. we get most rage from taking damage i belive and not all people in the LFD tool is nice enough to give you a few secs to get aggro and rage.

once you can pick up talents like natural reaction or primal precision it will help

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trick is to hit the mob once, then you will have enough rage for a Maul which is more advisable, at that point in combat the other 2-3 mobs will have hit you already, then you can swipe. This entire cycle lasts for about 2-3 seconds, then you should be free of trouble. And yeah, as your gear improves, you WILL find it easier. Just keep your cool about you

MUST HAVES : Glyph of Growl, Glyph of Maul. Both are absolutely necessary !

Enjoy

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starcloud View Post
    How are bears supposed to manage? Warriors get charge which gives them initial rage... Our charge does not.
    we got furor in the restoration tree that gives us 10 rage whne we shift in bear but while leveling u probely want to get mangle asap so cant offrt to spent points in there

i suggest you try to stay ahead of your group this gives the mbos a few seconds to hit u before the dps is in range to take argo off you, also try to chain pull a bit so u still got rage, but ofc dont pull to many ^^

also dont use demo raor it gives verry low threat just swipe, roar is only for when u pull to many mobs and taking massive dmg or when u got plenty of rage / threat
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Deleted
    MUST HAVES : Glyph of Growl, Glyph of Maul. Both are absolutely necessary !
    mual, yep. but growl? imo its only req in icc at bosses like saurfang, L DW or festergut

Try not to go all out on every pull just produce enough thread to hold aggro. That way you could end up with enough left over rage for the next pull.
    Of course this takes some practice and may not be practical if you are struggeling with holding aggro in the first place or have very strong dps in the group.

Lol, when I read the thread name I thought it was going to be about Lowbie druids raging about things and causing an issue, now I see different

OT: the only thing to do is to grab Furor, but as previously stated is probably a bad thing to do at low levels.

I found when levelling my druid recently demo roar (10 rage vs 20 for swipe) was often enough to give me enough initial threat on the mobs that I didn't loose them when the DPS started going nuts with AoE (at low levels in any case.)

The other thing to do is make sure you stay ahead of the DPS, do enough to give yourself a threat lead such that as the mob dies it will still be aggro'd to you and move on to the next pack while the DPS finish off the previous one. Pulling fast is definatley an advantage, but make sure you keep an eye on the healers mana and pop an innervate (I usually barkskin 1st) on them when they get low. You'll take more damage when you shift out of bear so let DPS kill off more adds than normal 1st. I usually pull at least 2 packs at a time in order to give me lots of rage and it works a treat.

Once you get Survivial of the Fittest things become even easier. Dungeons are tuned around people in DPS specs tanking while not def capped. Being a druid with high EH and immune to crits from a low level is insanely good as it means you can pull more mobs that most other tanks could in the same situation.

Glyph of Maul is a massive help as well, being able to maul 2 targets at once is awesome.

Put FFF on 2 and a swipe+maul macro on 1.
    If yout want to pull a group, target a mob and press "2", then continue with spamming 1 until number of mobs is less than 2
    That should pretty much do it for heroics.
    (FFF doesn't require you to have rage and it generates enough threat to make mobs attack you, so you can swipe/maul)

ummm...regular melee grants rage, why would everyone advise bypassing that by using maul? He's complaining about having to wait for mobs to hit him, and honestly if dps starts up before a mob can hit the tank then let em die.

I would say swipe and melee for groups, advise your dps to give you a few seconds, and use thorns.

I have the same problems with my lower level bear tank as well but what I think where the problem lies is not with me tanking but with the members that you group with. I have experienced some groups where they let me get aggro and all goes well; however, with other groups mobs are all over the place because dps choose to pull for me. I just say whatever and move on hoping that I can get through the instance painlessly and only protecting the healer. If the group members call me a crap tank and harp on me because I cannot hold aggro, I just say whatever, drop group and move onto the next instance with my insta-queue.

Deleted
    That should pretty much do it for heroics.
    lowbie... and heroic... reading thread title helps

15+ Year Old Account
    I've recently been leveling a second druid as feral, I'm also finding a massive lack of rage in lowbie dungeons such as wailing caverns.

It's gotten better with gear but auto attack is your main tool unfortunatly. Tab auto attack the mobs, until you get some rage then use swipe if 3 mobs, maul with glyph if 2. Additionally FF is your best friend, it does massive threat at low levels, use it on every CD. If I'm pulling a pack of two I'll usually FF one mob and start auto attacking the 2nd, so I have good threat on both.

Chain pulling hasn't really been an option as I'm usually grouped with a dps healer who needs to mana all the time -.-. Sometimes you do get a good healer though, so when you're finishing off a pack save your rage for the next pull so you can run in and swipe straight away ^^
    Last edited by Smartie; 2010-07-15 at 09:36 AM.