Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Did I kill my HDD?

So I was setting up my Ubuntu Server today, which is installed on a 1.5TB WD Green. I was editing a file, and the system froze, heard some clicking and beeping from the HDD, so I hit the power switch on the computer. Now when I boot up, the BIOS won't recognize the HDD, but it won't recognize when I put in a differnet, healthy HDD either.

I put the 1.5TB drive back into my main pc, and the BIOS sees it, and I can see it in my device manager with both partitions. I just can't see anything on it, I'm assuming because of how its formatted.

So what the heck is going on?
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    So I was setting up my Ubuntu Server today, which is installed on a 1.5TB WD Green. I was editing a file, and the system froze, heard some clicking and beeping from the HDD, so I hit the power switch on the computer. Now when I boot up, the BIOS won't recognize the HDD, but it won't recognize when I put in a differnet, healthy HDD either.

I put the 1.5TB drive back into my main pc, and the BIOS sees it, and I can see it in my device manager with both partitions. I just can't see anything on it, I'm assuming because of how its formatted.

So what the heck is going on?
    Try setting it as your primary drive in your main pc, and try to boot from it to see if all data is intact.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You HDD is fine - there's something wrong with the Motherboard - and you editing a file when your system froze - may be just a coincedence. Beeping sounds are definetely not HDD related. You tested it with "healthy" HDD. You tested your "faulty" HDD in working PC and it is OK. So it's not HDD. Check the motherboard, if it's SATA HDD (I bet it is) - try different SATA ports, try different cables, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    You HDD is fine - there's something wrong with the Motherboard - and you editing a file when your system froze - may be just a coincedence. Beeping sounds are definetely not HDD related. You tested it with "healthy" HDD. You tested your "faulty" HDD in working PC and it is OK. So it's not HDD. Check the motherboard, if it's SATA HDD (I bet it is) - try different SATA ports, try different cables, etc.
    Technically if the Hard Drive failed, it could beep anyway. Also, I thought it only used beep codes during POST...

10+ Year Old Account
    While I can't imagine it happening that quickly you should have never put an OS on a green/low power drive they simply aren't designed to be used as a system drive or in a raid configuration.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I tried booting the "faulty" HDD in this computer. If I tried to boot into Ubuntu, I got the error "Gave up waiting for root device", and then something that did not resemble Ubuntu at all. Memtest works fine though. So either there actually is something wrong with the HDD, or its just a mobo incompatability issue.

So I gave up on being able to recover my server data from the HDD, but I was able to format it fine on this computer in Windows. I'm checking the disk for errors now.

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 09:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    you should have never put an OS on a green/low power drive they simply aren't designed to be used as a system drive or in a raid configuration.
    It was empty and lying around. I sure as heck wouldn't RAID with the thing..
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    The waiting for root device was simply because your server ran them in IDE or *forgot how it's called* and your main pc is configures the other way around, causing it to not recognise the drive when trying to boot from it, resulting in "waiting for root device".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    The waiting for root device was simply because your server ran them in IDE or *forgot how it's called* and your main pc is configures the other way around, causing it to not recognise the drive when trying to boot from it, resulting in "waiting for root device".
    I'm pretty sure they're both configured as AHCI. I'll double check when the error-check is done.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Sounds to me like your SATA controller is acting up honestly.

Try a CMOS battery pull.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there's good news.. After CMOS reset and some playing with jumpers, it'll recognize the healthy disk. So looks like I can start over again. Maybe I'll try Windows Server 2008 if I can get it through Dreamspark.. The Dreamspark site was down yesterday so I didn't have that option..

15+ Year Old Account
    Where are you in Halifax? I could toss you one of my hundreds of 2k8 discs.

However I might bite you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live up by the rotary.. But I'm downloading the server ISO now.

But the Mobo is back to being a fickle pain in the ass.. After I said the CMOS clear boot worked, the next boot wouldn't recognize any drives..

This has got to be the worth mobo I've ever dealt with.. Too bad I've only ever dealt with two..

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 10:21 AM ----------

Had the 1.5TB drive plugged into the Server mobo.. Was just sitting in the BIOS, which won't find the disk, and after a few minutes the HDD went back to the click-click-click-bzzzt! that is was doing when I first got the problems.

Deleted
    I would've said yes to Asera's offer tbh.

15+ Year Old Account
    What if I am 400lbs and my 2k8 discs maintain standard orbit around me?

10+ Year Old Account
    That would have been the correct decision. I was too tired from working on this since yesterday :S

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Then uhm.. I'm sure you have a lovely personality.. Yeah. Lets go with that one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I'd take a disc and give you a big hug, and take you for a drink to say thanks.

That is, in a place where you won't chop up the seats with the discs.

What if you end up orbiting her? D:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I'll take good care of her, don't you worry. :O

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Too heavy to orbit. Prixie would get stuck ^^

Celestial object collision?