Frost dk going arp

Hi, I have about 40% passive arm pen at the moment and have all strenght gems. I have the DBW and arm pen trinket from FoS hc.

Would it be a significant increase in dps to replace all the strenght gems with arp ones ?

Short answer is NO. Stick to strength gems. Gemming for Armor Pen is really only useful for blood dps, and that's only if you already have a ton of passive armor pen from gear, and very high-end gear. Frost and Unholy will see no real benefit from gemming armor pen, and I see it staying that way considering blood will be strickly a tanking tree in Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
    Short answer is NO. Stick to strength gems. Gemming for Armor Pen is really only useful for blood dps, and that's only if you already have a ton of passive armor pen from gear, and very high-end gear. Frost and Unholy will see no real benefit from gemming armor pen, and I see it staying that way considering blood will be strickly a tanking tree in Cata.
    Are you trying to troll him?
    It is common knowledge that gemming ArP as Frost in near-BiS gear does give you a single target DPS increase.

Unless you can get around 1300+ with gems + food you are probably not going to see much of an increase, if any at all. Considering you're using the so-called 'ArP' trinket from ICC 5s, you're probably a long way off from being ready.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scudamore View Post
    It is common knowledge that gemming ArP as Frost in near-BiS gear does give you a single target DPS increase.

Unless you can get around 1300+ with gems + food you are probably not going to see much of an increase, if any at all. Considering you're using the so-called 'ArP' trinket from ICC 5s, you're probably a long way off from being ready.
    If I remember right it was considered a dps increase for single target but you lost dps on fights where you could AoE right?

Quote Originally Posted by Scudamore View Post

Scudamore's right, in bis gemming arp gives you a dps boost. If you're not in 264/277 gear don't do it. Also with a 40% base arp, you're a long way from being arp capped, even you gem full arp.

you should have 900-1000 arp from gear before gemming for it

The short answer is always going to be, SIM SIM SIM SIM.
    If you're worried about your dps enough to ask about arp as frost, you should just sim your stat wieghts yourself. Big note when simming str vs arp. Don't just sim with your current gear and then read the stat wieghts. This will NOT be correct when you regem (losing all the strength from those gems). You should run a DPS simulation with the stats you currently have, then do the math(hard right) to run another DPS sim with +arp and -str. Whichever sim comes out higher, is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Donttakevurge View Post
    you should have 900-1000 arp from gear before gemming for it
    This, as with ANY OTHER CLASS.

Get to 900 Passive ArPen then change to all ArPen gems.

Also like Confessor stated SIM SIM SIM. Its your BFF.

The best way I sim is to use RAWR with gear setup with NO Gems. Get the stats and move to a SIM. Then Add all Str. Rinse and Repeat. Then add all ArPen. Rinse and Repeat

IF STR > ARP = USE STR
    IF ARP > ARP = USE ARP

But as been stated in 100 other threads. At BiS or Near BiS, Gemming ArPen is a Single target DPS increase. And WTF Cares about AOE DPS. Single target is where it is at.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic View Post
    And WTF Cares about AOE DPS. Single target is where it is at.
    Because the Lich King fight doesn't involve AoE right?

Quote Originally Posted by MortalWombat View Post
    Not enough to worry about Gemming for AOE. 90% of the fight (even on heroic) is still SINGLE TARGET. Takes 15 Sec to burn the Ghouls down when clean up is required.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Quote Originally Posted by MortalWombat View Post
    On hard mode it really doesn't. Only thing where AoE might matter a bit is for Valks. But the burst you get from the OBs more than compensates for the lower damage on disease ticks (which won't even have time to finish) and HB.

I barely even cast howling blast at this point. ArP geming is the way to go at top tier gear, but you need about 1k passive to make it work out.

In my current setup regeming ArP would cost me ~100dps, I figure with STS it will end up being a gain.