Thread: WTF Earthquake?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

WTF Earthquake?

For PvPers, you're not doing much good if you are channeling an AoE in hopes of getting an RNG proc on the knockdown instead of FF-ing a kill target / hexing / shearing / refreshing totems (specifically Tremor and Grounding).

Not to mention raiders fighting single target bosses, doesn't it seem kind of weird that we would never use our 31 point talent during an entire boss fight.

Very disappointed this is our "money-shot" Cataclysm spell.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can see it good if used well,I can see 5 shaman el teams using earthquake..scary.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

there will prob be a diminishing return on knockdowns apepi

Channeled AoE in PvP...lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if spiritwalker will be able to work on channeled spells?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Not to mention raiders fighting single target bosses, doesn't it seem kind of weird that we would never use our 31 point talent during an entire boss fight.
    Well this isn't really a departure from thunderstorm then. T-storm had marginal uses on some fights in Wrath. If it does turn out to be useless what really will grind some gears is that to sub spec into other trees you have to pick up earthquake!

Seriously ...... you get a first AoE spell in shaman history that you can cast on a targeted area without having to move in melee range to drop a totem and you still whine ? In my opinion it's worth a point for PvE, cause there still will be trash packs designed to AoE down.

Chain Lightning doesn't count as proper AoE for me, as it hits only certain ammount of targets and have reduced damage on each "jump".

You almost made me do the beta spam...

Quote Originally Posted by rad586 View Post
    Seriously ...... you get a first AoE spell in shaman history that you can cast on a targeted area without having to move in melee range to drop a totem and you still whine ? In my opinion it's worth a point for PvE, cause there still will be trash packs designed to AoE down.
    This would be nice if Earthquake actually did respectable damage. Unless it is buffed our current AOE rotation might turn out to be better. Blizzard will have to decide if they want to make this a situational utility spell or a competitive AOE spell or both!

Who on earth wants an end tree talent that is only of any use on trash? At least Thunderstorm had some use with the mana restoration and knockback (handy in pvp and some boss fights).

Quote Originally Posted by Arcsecant View Post
    This would be nice if Earthquake actually did respectable damage. Unless it is buffed our current AOE rotation might turn out to be better. Blizzard will have to decide if they want to make this a situational utility spell or a competitive AOE spell or both!
    Those numbers are more than likely placeholders. This is first version of new talent trees that we can see, they have alot of crap removed and few things added, Blizz might still adjust the numbers.

@Hellemental
    Don't know about you, but I hate running into melee range on my elemental shaman to start doing any AoE damage :P Even if it will be a final talent of elemental tree, I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellemental View Post
    Who on earth wants an end tree talent that is only of any use on trash? At least Thunderstorm had some use with the mana restoration and knockback (handy in pvp and some boss fights).
    Exactly! So sad right now... =(

Quote Originally Posted by Arcsecant View Post
    Well this isn't really a departure from thunderstorm then. T-storm had marginal uses on some fights in Wrath. If it does turn out to be useless what really will grind some gears is that to sub spec into other trees you have to pick up earthquake!
    Not necessarily though, as you can spend that one talent on something else in the tree. However, you still have to spend 31 talents anyway.

Deleted
    Rated battlegrounds.

Where this would be pretty useless in Arena it could mean a lot in a big fight in one of the battlegrounds.

@Hellemental
    Don't know about you, but I hate running into melee range on my elemental shaman to start doing any AoE damage :P Even if it will be a final talent of elemental tree, I'm fine with that.
    Well that is true, but consider Blizzard. It's a similar spell, but it isn't channelled and I've rarely seen one use it other than on trash and occasionally in pvp. And it's not a 31 point talent either.

Deleted
    Elemental shamans have been asking for a targetable ranged aoe since like... Naxx?

Shaman: Yo blizz I need an aoe, can we get somthing like earthquake, that spell was cool!
    Blizz: ...Silence...
    Shaman: Still missing my aoe
    blizz: ...Silence...
    Shaman: So we can use magma totem and such, but that sucks give me ranged!
    Blizzard: Sure, in cata you will have earthquake!
    Shaman: WTF EARTHQUAKE

I wouldn't claim the sky was falling just yet. The talent aint bad and its going to improve your dps more then thunderstorm did being your final talent.

I don't really see a reason why Earthquake is a 31talent, its not like its hard to run in throw a totem down and AoE.

And i can even still as elemental push above 15-16k AoE dps. It would be nice with a ranged AoE i admit that, but people complaining that its too hard to run in and throw down a magma totem thereafter to spam Fire Nova and Chain Lightning really makes me facepalm.

But id still rather see it as something we can use in our main rotation as additional dmg on adds/boss during an encounter, similar to Starfall for boomkins.
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]

Quote Originally Posted by Synithin View Post
    I don't really see a reason why Earthquake is a 31talent, its not like its hard to run in throw a totem down and AoE.

And i can even still as elemental push above 15-16k AoE dps. It would be nice with a ranged AoE i admit that, but people complaining that its too hard to run in and throw down a magma totem thereafter to spam Fire Nova and Chain Lightning really makes me facepalm.

But id still rather see it as something we can use in our main rotation as additional dmg on adds/boss during an encounter, similar to Starfall for boomkins.
    Show me where anyone in this thread said that running in to pop a fire totem is hard.

It's not hard, it's annoying.

Hard ≠ Annoying.

Have you seen Throne of the Tides video ? AoE trash pack that happens to use Frontal AoE attack that really hurts ? Lag or bad timing in running in to pop a totem and you're dead.

We're not complaining that we're getting a ranged AoE. We're simply complaining about that ranged AoE being our new 31-point talent. I much rather enjoy magma/nova and CL AoE. It's just lack of imagination on Blizz's part to give us something relatively useful.

You honestly don't think mages would be bitching if Blizzard was their 31-point talent, or warlocks having Rain of Fire be their 31-pointer. I think Elemental Shamans have a legitimate gripe and should be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellemental View Post
    Shadow Priests say "hai" and also "quit whining"

Don't get me wrong, I love dispersion.

But who says that your 31 pointer has to be a big dps move? Ele uses LB, CL, FS, LvB, may use UE (we'll see what the numbers say), and most likely Searing Totem soon too. Do we need another rotational spell? Not really. And, I'm relatively certain that there will be boss fights where the boss...oh I dunno....summons large packs of adds or something.

---------- Post added 2010-07-14 at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    We're not complaining that we're getting a ranged AoE. We're simply complaining about that ranged AoE being our new 31-point talent. I much rather enjoy magma/nova and CL AoE. It's just lack of imagination on Blizz's part to give us something relatively useful.
    As I just posted, we don't need another ability in our single target rotation. If they made earthquake baseline and made LvB our 31 pt talent, would that make you happier? Actually it might make me happy for the 80% of the time I'm resto, but from a design standpoint, why is that any better? Where is it written that 31 pt talents have to be single target boss fight game breakers?