Question On the warlock soul shard system

This is from a semi-lore (?) perspective. How exactly is this new soul shard system working. Like what is the lore and explanation as to why a warlock has 3 soul "shards" as compared to just using mana. When the warlock uses Soul Burn are they burning a portion of their own soul or what?

I assumed that the soul shard is itself burned as a reagent for the empowering of a spell. We are limited to three(four in the case of demo) for gameplay reasons. The same way a rogue is limited in energy, despite the fact that training and leveling up should increase his energy pool, it stays the same because of gameplay.

The entire system is disappointing at current anyway, I'm not looking forward to it.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

The soulshards work exactly the same way as the current ones, except there's less of them and they can be regenerated when out of combat. They aren't parts of the warlock's own soul, they're either the souls of something he just killed while draining it's soul (which last time I checked would fully restore your shards) or lost souls wandering about that were collected with http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/79268/.
    In a world as wartorn as Azeroth it kind of makes sense that there would be a lot of displaced souls meandering around.