Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Raid bosses with AI

Would something like that work? a friend was telling me about an upcoming mmo called tera online and how it will have bosses with AI...In concept, it sounds kinda cool.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricg View Post
    Would something like that work? a friend was telling me about an upcoming mmo called tera online and how it will have bosses with AI...In concept, it sounds kinda cool.
    If they just made bosses like they did in everquest, it would be more than cool enough (they attacked healers first!)

Please god no, theres enough RNG in this game as it is.

Depends on the coding of AI. I think Blizz is at a sweet spot right now, where they completely control the AI. A TRULY intelligent boss AI would completely ignore threat/tanks.

Boss: Hmmm, this guy in front of me just called me fat and threw a shield at me. That guy back there is prancing around like a nurse healing the dude with the shield, and this guy to my left is wearing no armor whatsoever and threw a GIANT FLAMING BOULDER at my ass. Who should I bite? Clothy McFire Robes or Armored to the Teeth fat guy whose attacks barely sting?
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    If they just made bosses like they did in everquest, it would be more than cool enough (they attacked healers first!)
    Lol now we know why there an epic staff with defence and a blue cloth set with defense as its bonus in Strat!! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NAOW!!!

I'm not sure. It would be great fun but a lot of things would have to be changed, like boss stats and players' stats.

On paper, the bosses would have to be nerfed hard in order to go with AI, seeing as how very few DPS can take an attack or two from raid bosses. However, if they did manage to make it work, it would be very fun.

Do the raid bosses technically have AI already?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebomb View Post
    Do the raid bosses technically have AI already?
    A fairly dim AI maybe. Essentially, their AI composes of using a threat table to determine best attack. TBH we don't know the exact coding behind the bosses. Onyxia does not deep breath every time it is off CD for example, so there might be some AI behind that, but essentially it is formulaic. At x% do this, at y% do that. Attack the person with the highest threat.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    which sets are those, Im curious to see them lol

To be honest if it was AI such that they ignored tanks, it would destroy the entire raiding system Blizzard has spent years making and balancing.
    And if it didn't, it would be the system we have now.

Players need to feel some amount of control of the situation. Otherwise, it kills the fun. Believe me, you wouldn't feel much fun if the boss laughs at your tanks and their pathetic taunts and goes oneshotting healers and casters and then plays around with the rest of the raid. Maybe i'm misunderstanding something, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind when you say AI. If you meant something like "boss throws frostbolt at lowest health raid member" that's scripting and has nothing to do with AI

They could do AI with coding for specific spells cast.

So you have to be smart on what you cast. Certain spells piss off a boss more than others. If you use that, x happens. Or boss runs to you, rapes you.

Could add a new form of fun.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or they could just let the abilities used by the Bosses be completely random. As an example Marrowgar can decide to Bonestorm directly or not Bonestorm at all depending on his mood :P And even Bonestorm the whole fight !

Ironweeave set wasn't it? Or ssomething similar, my mains were always melee. But I always thought that set was put there for ranged tanks and pvp.

---------- Post added 2010-07-15 at 12:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Or they could just let the abilities used by the Bosses be completely random. As an example Marrowgar can decide to Bonestorm directly or not Bonestorm at all depending on his mood :P And even Bonestorm the whole fight !
    People who lose their worldfirst like that will look you up, and beat you down srsly RNG is NOT fun.
    Last edited by Pickwickman; 2010-07-15 at 12:41 AM.

Maybe set a randomizer on abilities, not just have them be used once they're off cool down. Probably including an aggro wipe at random intervals would make the encounters less predictable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warsaw, Poland, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way
    Mobs in this game are as scripted as the cool events in Call of Duty. Letting them have AI is changing the game structure drastically, which Blizzard never does.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze148 View Post
    One cannot simply walk into Mulgore...

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    Depends on the coding of AI. I think Blizz is at a sweet spot right now, where they completely control the AI. A TRULY intelligent boss AI would completely ignore threat/tanks.

Boss: Hmmm, this guy in front of me just called me fat and threw a shield at me. That guy back there is prancing around like a nurse healing the dude with the shield, and this guy to my left is wearing no armor whatsoever and threw a GIANT FLAMING BOULDER at my ass. Who should I bite? Clothy McFire Robes or Armored to the Teeth fat guy whose attacks barely sting?
    lol

actually, I know of a boss in WoW that has AI but i think it's the only one.
    In Magester's Terace, the 3rd boss is a psuedo 5v5 match.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    Clothy McFire Robes
    This made me lol

Worst. Idea. Ever. Didn't you ever see Terminator?