Chain Lightning vs lightning bolt

I can't see why enhancement shaman uses LB instead of Chain lightning, Because chain lightning makes more damage. So I can't see why.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lightning Bolt does have a higher Spellpower Coefficient than Chain Lightning. This results in higher damage LBs in a single target scenario. Multiple Targets you will want to use Chain Lightning.
    So, no, Chain Lightning does not do more damage.

EDIT: This is from a Enhancement Point of View!
    Spellpower Coefficient of CL (Single Target) = 57.14%
    Spellpower Coefficient of LB = 71.43%
    -> SP-Coefficients means x% of SP converted to damage in addition to base damage.

So let's assume CL does 1111 base damage, LB 815 and you have 1500 SP.
    CL:
    1500(SP)*0,5714(Coefficient) = 857,1 -> 1111(Base damage)+857,1(Damage from SP) = 1968,1(Total Damage)
    LB:
    1500(SP)*0,7143(Coefficient) = 1071,45 -> 815(Base damage)+1071,45(Damage from SP) = 1886,45(Total Damage)

Let's assume you have 2500 SP. Base damage stays the same.
    CL:
    2500(SP)*0,5714(Coefficient) = 1428,5 -> 1111(Base damage)+1428,5(Damage from SP) = 2539,5(Total Damage)
    LB:
    2500(SP)*0,7143(Coefficient) = 1785,75 -> 815(Base damage)+1785,75(Damage from SP) = 2600,75(Total Damage)

As you can see, the more SP you have the better gets LB in a single target environment.
    Last edited by breric; 2010-07-15 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breric View Post
    Lightning Bolt does have a higher Spellpower Coefficient than Chain Lightning. This results in higher damage LBs in a single target scenario. Multiple Targets you will want to use Chain Lightning.
    So, no, Chain Lightning does not do more damage.
    When comes to elemental shaman in single scenario ChL does more dmg if you count and cast time but because of high mana cost it is not good to spam it,you can use it after lava burst for clearcasting effect in rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zheles View Post
    I can't see why enhancement shaman uses LB instead of Chain lightning, Because chain lightning makes more damage. So I can't see why.
    if you have the 245 elemental totem you'll know why LB is used by pve
    even enhancement shamans use that (i do atleast)

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynixx View Post
    When comes to elemental shaman in single scenario ChL does more dmg if you count and cast time but because of high mana cost it is not good to spam it,you can use it after lava burst for clearcasting effect in rotation.
    He specifically asked for the Enhancement PoV. Elemental does in fact use Chain Lightning since it has a faster cast speed resulting in the most damage per cast time. But only until LB reaches a certain amount of cast speed with a higher haste level. Then it is better than CL afaik. I may be wrong though since I don't play Elemental.

In elemental PoV CL is stronger until near BiS gear. BUT.. The mana cost makes you go omm 4-5 times quicker (not using TS).
    And you gain about 40dps... With is lost if you start using TS on CD.

thanks alot guys, that was really helpfull