Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Spec-Defined Armor Models

So I've had this idea for awhile now, which was admittedly fueled a bit by Blizzard's attempts to make specializations more definitive (see the talent tree changes) and this sentence by Ghostcrawler:

"We view Arms as a soldier, like a career military infantryman. Think Gladiator. We view Fury as the wild berserker from up in the hills. Think Braveheart or Conan. It's easy to argue that bleeds or mobility fit one or the other depending on your point of view. Arms feels tactical (in the sense of having an answer for various situations) and Fury feels reckless. The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed." (by the way, how do you insert a blue quote? ^^)

So Fury warriors are supposed to be barbarians that "show up to fights half naked", Protection warriors are stalwart defenders armored to the teeth and Arms warriors are somewhere in between, balancing protection and mobility. It would only be logical to reflect this on the armor they wear.

So here is my proposition: make armor change according to your spec. This may sound like a lot of extra work for Blizzard, but it actually isn't since my plan would be to have a preset model for each spec (sans the shoulders and helms of course, since they're the only two items that always have unique models) sharing the same texture. Something like this:

Fury

Protection

(notice the thicker armor and larger shoulder plates. The gorget-thingy would be part of the chest piece. Also, sorry about the sloppy PS work, I'm too lazy to spend time on something that's not going to earn me money )

Arms would keep the current models. Keep in mind that these are just ideas that could and should be expanded.

Similar changes could be implemented for other classes, such as Druids, where Feral druids would have a more beastly appearance, Balance druids would, I dunno, have feathers or moon-related objects or something, and Restoration druids would have a more nature-oriented set (with branches sticking out?).

Another idea would be to add spec-defined doodads to armor, like blood splatters for Fury warriors, flowers sprouting for Resto druids, lightning bolts for Elemental shaman, holy auras for holy priests and paladins etc.
    Last edited by mmoc3c08306406; 2010-07-16 at 02:47 PM.

While this is an idea I totally, 100% wholeheartedly support, I don't think it's going to happen. I don't often harp on Blizzard, but their modeling department has gotten a bit lazier in terms of reskins each expansion - hell, I heard that some Lich King loot was just reskinned heroic gear. For shame...

Your examples don't show much *extra work* required of artists, and while I think a blood spatter here or a couple tally marks on an axe blade there would be incredible, this would be a rather simple change. Switch to your dual spec, gear changes appearance, etc.

I hope this could happen, but it seems like one of those things that Blizzard wouldn't put much priority on. But seeing as how they're trying to separate specs in this way, it may just come true...

Blizzard is excesively lazy around models, with armor for ICC, the only amor designed where the t10 for each class, period.

lol @ your fury model. u just hijacked how the plate chest looks like on females.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your fury warrior looks like a chippendale male stripper or like he's ready to work the corner of SW.

Just sayin'.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
    While this is an idea I totally, 100% wholeheartedly support, I don't think it's going to happen. I don't often harp on Blizzard, but their modeling department has gotten a bit lazier in terms of reskins each expansion - hell, I heard that some Lich King loot was just reskinned heroic gear. For shame...

Your examples don't show much *extra work* required of artists, and while I think a blood spatter here or a couple tally marks on an axe blade there would be incredible, this would be a rather simple change. Switch to your dual spec, gear changes appearance, etc.

I hope this could happen, but it seems like one of those things that Blizzard wouldn't put much priority on. But seeing as how they're trying to separate specs in this way, it may just come true...
    Art-wise it's not a big investment, but it may be a bit rough technologically. A lot depends on how their code handles models and the like. Is it possible (in their software) to segment them and rescale parts individually? No clue. Certainly not a big task in a vacuum, but in the context of what exists, maybe.

Would be somewhat interesting, though. I'm not sure anyone would really get into the 'Fury' look you presented, though. Part of the nice thing about current armor models is that they can do a lot to hide how hideous your character is. Male humans tend to have a slothful look to them in spite of the muscles and posture, for whatever reason.

Also, I'd like to point out the gorget looks like a mustache to me. :P

Yeah, because Blizzard already takes the time to make "class" specific gear, right? -coughTOCcough.-

There's no way their designers will take the extra time to modify each armor set per-spec, however cool it would be. =/

10+ Year Old Account
    cool idea, but what happens when the fury warrior doesn't like his look? would it be better if blizzard gave an option to turn off pieces of gear graphic wise? The other problem with the idea is getting the "look" to look right for all classes. we've seen recently that most helmets are pretty much a new "head" altogether since some races don't look right with certain armor models, ie tauren warriors with might helms from way back. It will be more work than it's worth in the long run to change the core design.

Should it happen? Absolutely
    Will it happen? probably not

this is a brilliant idea and all only thing im wondering is, some classes have very "similiar" specs like hunters i cant see why there should be any change from say survival gear and to Marksman :S same goes for rogues
    yo

Deleted
    As I said, the images are there just to give a general idea. The fury model, although terribly executed, was partly inspired by this guy:

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    Your fury warrior looks like a chippendale male stripper or like he's ready to work the corner of SW.

Just sayin'.
    Couldn't of said it any better myself...

Anyways , it's a really good idea and it would be awesome if blizz actually did it ..

Makes sense, Druids and Paladins would really benefit from this as well. I don't think they'd ever do this though, they'd probably make unique models for the offset stuff before they did this I think.

The 2h sword from 1st boss in ICC has the same model with the 2h sword dropped from LK.

And you want different models for each spec.

Good luck.

I don't know if I might like that. I would feel bad if my spec got the short end of the stick. Though I play a warlock, we always have the best armor.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

awesome idea! this will make less duplicates running around in cities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laughtrey View Post
    Makes sense, Druids and Paladins would really benefit from this as well. I don't think they'd ever do this though, they'd probably make unique models for the offset stuff before they did this I think.
    Maybe so, but this would just be a one-time deal. As I said, the only models that really differ on gear are the helmets and shoulders, which usually have unique models. However, the chest piece is just texture, and the gloves and pants have shared models (the gloves have like 2-3 models, and pants have 2 (one of them being just texture). There are a few boot models around, 4 or 5 I believe. However, since the most common plate-tube boots look silly, I'm pretty sure they'll use more of the shiny new boot models. So all the effort for Blizz would be to come up with a few models for each spec, and the rest would easily be implemented as new tiers of content are implemented.

Batman sees Fury Warrior idea:

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    How do you post blue quotes as your sig.?

This is a great idea, to be a resto Druid in stuff like the t5 or t8 look makes sense while a feral would use the claw/fur looking stuff. But thinking about it, just means I wish they'd implement porting stats to any peice of armour so we can make our own sets, ala Aion.