Deleted

How does Ret Mana-Management work?

Now I've never played a Paladin, but I do remember that Blizzard has always struggled with getting a resource system to work for Rets.

Part of the problem was always that Rets had a very small mana-pool, due to stacking mostly melee plate stats. This was fixed during BC for most extent. Still, spiritual attunement also contributed to Rets difficulties by making them have endless mana when taking damage, but suffering when not.

Now I realize that Judgment of the Wise plays a part in replenishing a Rets mana. But I'm sure there must be more to it.

Otherwise I'd imagine building a rotation for Ret wouldn't be such a struggle. Just have a low damage, short cooldown ability that restores mana, and have a few heavy hitters that cost mana. Voila, you have resource management.

But afaik, in the current state of the game, Ret might as well not have a mana-bar, except when healing. So what's the real problem with making Rets mana-management meaningful?

There isn't one. We had spiritual attunement as ret because we always took damage. Seal of blood was our seal of choice back in BC and early WotLk, it made us take damage when dealing it. Thus, we got heals, thus we got mana.

Now, JotW gives lots of mana, and we can toss in a divine plea every so often if we need it. But with all the mana raid buffs and judgement of wisdom, there's not many mana issues as ret.

In Cata, we even have less mana issues. One of our passives is 2% mana every second, probably to avoid us from getting so little mana that we can't judgement to get more.

I'd say 80% of it would be judgements if your using it off cd the rest being divine plea/judgement of wisdom (deleted for cata).
    The only problem this leads to is when judgement gets absorbed 100% (think lady deathwhisper heroic or disc priests in pvp) our mana just drops off the grid completely

10+ Year Old Account
    As was said above we get a large amount of our mana back when a judgment does damage (25%) we also get some mana back from replenishment 1% of max every 5 seconds (equates to 13 mana per second when you have no intellect on gear) so we basically have no problems with it unless we, A start healing because that will drain us down pretty fast unless we use a judgment, B run into something that has shields which prevent damage (like a frost mage or disc priest) because of the judgment does no damage we get no mana back, or C run into something that can constantly either stay out of judgment range or burn/drain mana.

The last happens allot in pvp against priests, warlocks, mages and hunters which is why they counter us so hard.

The other reason they counter us so hard is because we have nothing to provide instant gap closing or provide short term speed boosts, this means they can constantly fear, sheep or otherwise CC us without worry of us ever catching up to them if they know how to rotate CC and kite.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

15+ Year Old Account
    We get 25% BASE mana from JotW (which is always 1024 mana), and 1% MAX every 5 seconds(or 0.2% max mana every second, which is about 13 mana). We also get 2% BASE mana from JoW (82 mana each proc)- However, since we use both Spells and Melee, the average PPM for us is higher than, say, a Mage.

As I posted in the other topic, we will have a lot more MP5 when Cata hits:
    25% base mana every 8 seconds (From JotW, which will be about 1100-1200 every cast)
    Divine Purpose (2% max mana every second, and with ~9k mana pools at 85, this is 180mana/sec, or 900mp5)
    Divine Plea (25% mana still with a 1 min CD)
    Blessing of Might (guaranteed to be up, giving ~400 or so MP5 at 85, numbers are speculation).
    Last edited by Ronark; 2010-07-17 at 11:32 PM.

Mana isn't a rets true resource, Cooldowns are. You should never really be in a situation where you run out of mana and there are steps you can take to prevent mana loss with minimal dps loss. Cooldowns dictate your rotation and are your limiting factor not mana.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
    You should never really be in a situation where you run out of mana and there are steps you can take to prevent mana loss with minimal dps loss.
    Unless you are not Hit capped, mess up the FCFS, or fail at moving on Putricide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark View Post
    Unless you are not Hit capped, mess up the FCFS, or fail at moving on Putricide.
    Well you can always keep judgement and DP on cooldown if thats the case, even switch to JoW or in extreme circumstances use a mana pot or shout for a cheeky innervate. I must admit i'm not anything special but I rarely struggle with mana, even with JoL.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
    Well you can always keep judgement and DP on cooldown if thats the case, even switch to JoW or in extreme circumstances use a mana pot or shout for a cheeky innervate. I must admit i'm not anything special but I rarely struggle with mana, even with JoL.
    Depends if you are in a 10 man or night- Without JoW, you could run into trouble.