Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Guild changes - the cancer of WoW

With this new guild system, it seems that if you are not in a Guild, you are not worth even playing at all. This new guild system will destroy the community, and with weeks of Cataclysm going live, trade Channel will be spammed with "LF level 25 Guild" and creating more than a few guilds per realm will be completely useless. I mentioned this in a previous Thread, where Guild Masters will rule the game. They will own your server, you, and decide what if you play or not. Playing WoW without being a guild will be less than half as good as it will than being in a Guild. Since they're creating this system, shouldn't they also be creating a system where people are always in a guild? Kinda like the Healthcare Bill, if you can't afford it we'll provide you something. It's kinda like that, expect the only thing you're paying is listening and tolerating a bunch of green text about kids whining and complaining about their new class changes. Nobody is able to play Casually anymore, as stated in someone else's Thread, nobody will be able to just play the game, they will HAVE to be in a guild because the difference between being in a Guild and being Guild-less is way too significant. But that's not my main point, my biggest concern is the community, and how this will affect your entire server. Doesn't anyone see anything wrong with this? Nobody will be able to make a new guild, these perks will be just another thing that you have to take care of (I think you have to buy them), this could break up entire guilds if they aren't as progressive as that one huge guild on your server, and maybe your friends all want to be in a guild together because of trusting cooperation but you're not getting as far as that guild with 100 noobs spamming random invites to Elwynn Forest.

Obviously Blizzard will continue to favor the top guild, these guild perks will be addition to their barely used unique Mounts, Tabards, Heroic Gear, Titles, and much more those lucky 25 people on your 10k server get, so in this case doesn't it just seem like they only care about is Guild progression? What about the other 5-35k people on your server? This of course depends if these guild Perks will be handed out like Epics in Wrath of the Lich King.

Hey, they sound nice, I won't complain about constant increases in discounts, experience, speed, money, all that good stuff, but I will complain about my 10 level 80 characters having to follow each other into every guild I join or switch to or having to stress about being in a crappy guild because I NEED a guild but can't get into that really good one because they're Full on Priests or Hunters or Paladin Tanks regardless if I'm an improvement or not, so again we're back to the original problem with guilds, so why emphasize on that problem?
    Last edited by Dayle; 2010-07-19 at 02:50 AM.

Small guilds will level just as fast as large guilds. There's an xp cap. So, pretty much everything you said is moot.

The cancer that is killing /WoW/
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

Banned.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2010-07-19 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcf190 View Post
    Small guilds will level just as fast as large guilds. There's an xp cap. So, pretty much everything you said is moot.
    Yeah I'm not too sure how it works, but my point is that if you're not in a guild at all, you're useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
    Yeah I'm not too sure how it works, but my point is that if you're not in a guild at all, you're useless.
    Oh no, you're missing out on various minor perks (with a few major ones at high guild levels) that you've managed to get by just fine on for five going on six years.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jcf190 View Post
    This.

Not to mention there is going to be a "Guild Rep", where you will have to personally contribute to the guild prior to receiving various perks. Oh and "It's Beta", the sky is not falling.

What evidence do you have to support such a claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Oh no, you're missing out on various minor perks (with a few major ones at high guild levels) that you've managed to get by just fine on for five going on six years.
    F that leveling was horrible before Wrath, now it's not that bad.

You might be laying the hyperbole on a a bit thick.

10+ Year Old Account
    So prior to knowing how it works your passing judgement .. brilliant. We all appreciate the concern and it's not completely unfounded, however you really should stop to think about how little you know prior to passing final judgement.

How are you useless if you are not in a guild? Tell me... oh wise one. Tell me.

The majority of players will be level capped before their guild will even hit half of the guilds level...

Once again... some little person feels that their game is ruined because people who play with friends get an extra little perk. No one stopping you from being in a guild... nor are they forcing you. You will still be able to enjoy the game no matter what you do.

"Oh darn! My mount is 5% slower than that guys and he gets a 5% discount from vendors... and golly darn, he takes 10% less durability!"

So I don't repeat myself: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...n-the-internet

In a nutshell: It's about incentivizing accountability. While some games enforce sociability and personal accountability by making leveling nigh impossible alone, (thus your rep is tied even to leveling), WoW is "doing it right" by incentivizing playing "nicer".

The guild leveling system is the CURE for WoW's cancer. It won't get it all, but it will hurt it bad.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2010-07-19 at 02:55 AM.
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

Blizzard said they wanted people to be in guilds. The social aspect is a huge part of WoW. That said I feel blizzard has fixed the problems that were first presented when it was announced. Your post stresses only a few guilds per server but I have a feeling its not going to be hard to get to level 25. Not only that but there is a capped amount you can earn towards guild experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're useless since your pointless alts don't level so fast or 10% of your money looted doesn't go to guild bank (oh wait..). Just make a one man guild if it bothers you so much to be guildless or be in someone elses guild. Simple as that. Done.

Or if for example the dungeons need to be done as guildruns to get the guild xp, just make a guild with other 4 people and just agree that NO ONE will ever talk in G-chat.

I don't see a single guild talent that will affect your raid performance.

Its a bunch of nice touches, sure. But there's not a single buff in there that will make Puggy McGee do any less than UberGuildMaster Joe.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of the guild perks are Game Makers or Game Breakers. They are just that, "Perks". You can get along without them just fine. Some of the more interesting perks are going to be very situational anyway; Example - Group Summons & Group Rez. Raiding guilds & World PvP come to mind, and in both situations they will be fun perks. Ultimately however they are just time savers and wont allow those who have them the ability to do something that others can not.

Ahh this is funny, lol!
    Seriously cancer of wow?
    No the cancer of wow is having asshats guild hop to get geared.
    There is not combat benefit to being in a guild, it's all passive abilities.

"Oh you get an extra **% on killing mobs"--- wow it'll take you an extra day or two to lvl, go cry some where else.
    "you get extra money"--- no the guild gets the extra money.
    "you get extra benefits from using cauldrons" well if your raiding and your not part of a guild then that's your issue, spend the extra gold and bring your own flask.
    "you get extra 15% items from mining,skinning, herb, and disenchanting" again passive, not that's going to make or break your personal character.

Go qq in the official forums, there ALL passive benefits that will have no effect on "how good your character is" it's a benefit to keep assholes from joining a guild thats to X number boss in current progression then getting the gear and experience then 2 weeks later leaving for another guild.These are welcomed changes, if you don't like it, play on a private server or find another game.

And lol at the no one can play casually anymore.. You are seriously misguided, misinformed and plain naive. Granted the top guilds will probably have their alts like they already do and run their alts through the content first and learn the fights. But to everyone else having it to where you can only kill a raid boss once a week(instead of the current 10 then 25 runs) will reduce raid times for most guilds drastically.
    Last edited by Begottenson; 2010-07-19 at 02:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    And, on a more hostile sidenote that I can't put in a news post. Seriously, who the fuck takes mmowned as a reliable source to the point where news sites will just repost it without any double check? Now I'm sad, or mad, or both. I don't know. >
    Thanks Boub for this epic sig! lol.

dramatic crap
    Look. Guild perks are not make-or-break; they are perks. They are not a big deal. They do not have a huge impact on the game.

Not a huge deal.

Calm yourself.

Breath.

It's okay, I promise.

If you honestly need something dramatic, then look into the Earth's thermosphere. A majority of our atmosphere just collapsed the other day! It's really dramatic stuff!
    Last edited by Duskmourne; 2010-07-19 at 03:01 AM.

If someone was smart, they would start a Realm Guild. It wouldn't be any good for progression, but everyone would be drawn to the Guild for the Perks that they could use. The leader would be smart because the "Cash Flow" perk is practically free gold.