Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up A perfect Cataclysm

I had an idea for a thread:

This isn't a discussion of what Blizzard are doing right now, or how the beta looks, but rather that if they would change their mind about things, or keep going in the right direction with other things, how would it look?
    To clarify: If the final release of Cata turned out just how YOU wanted, how would it be?

This is my perfect cata:

Mobile fights and CC in raids and instances.

Non- binary hard modes, instead the Ulduar style.

A messy but progressive badge system, meaning that they don't raise the badges every patch.

Actual progress in raids, as in WotLK would have been Heroics- Naxx- Ulduar- ToC- ICC instead of Heroics- Latest content.

Shared 10/25 lockout.

Deathwing is MASSIVE.

More than one raid every tier.

Archaeology gives you something actually fun to do when not raiding.

Path of the titans.

Guild talents, decided by the guild leader (whom, hopefully would give the members a chance to give their opinion.)

Overall much harder raids.

Not veichles per se, but some fights where you have to use different methods/abilities.

Less inflation of gear.

Get better gear based on how far you get into a raid (not just from the last boss.)

Rated BG, but not killing of Arena.

The talents are amazing, though I was opposed to it in the beginning, I'm starting to really like the idea of alternating a truly valuable talent point with a new spell.

Up to level 10 you get spells every level, and the trainer gives new players an idea of how and when to use the spell.

Overall, great starting zones, so new players are well prepared when they start doing harder stuff.

Changes in Northrend to reflect the fact that there's a new Lich King.

That's about what I can think of atm.

So the point isn't for you to care too much about my opinion, but instead say how YOU want it.

And whomever's first gets a virtual cookie
    Gief inspiration.

10+ Year Old Account
    A nice list of cool ideas, I'm really hoping for some of the same features like huge Deathwing and Archaeology, which looks promising and can be if they pull it off well. As a raider myself, I'd like to see a general flow of raid progression along with the new guild perks and such. Although I believe Northrend won't be changed at all as it's in a different timeline as the rest of Azeroth, I think it'd be cool if Death Knight's eyes changed from their blue glow to the orange one of Bolvar.

All content updated. But that would be too much..
    I'M SIGNIN MAH POST!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cearat
    Salty Ballz the Patient.
    Cuz, ya know, it ain't getting lai... Yeah, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarro777
    the amount of bad grammer in this thread is fail

guild talents decided by the guild leader was a terrible idea and im glad it was scrapped..i like my current guilds and i want to continue with them i dont want to have to change guilds just because my current one dosnt have the right talents for me

most of the things they have done so far are things i am really looking forward too..holy power sounds like its going to be amazing...unless they screw it up royally

15+ Year Old Account
    Granted this is still beta. I doubt that most of the cool things now are going to be inside of the retail package.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be great to have all those fatures...but blizzard has a limited amount of time and a limited amount of resources to dedicate to developing, each one of those features would require somthing else to be taken out of the game...the more than one raid per tier for example would more than likely reduce the content for none raiders...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again, I'm not asking for all of this to come true, it's not that reasonable. I'm curious of what you think, and thought I'd go first.

Leper Messia, your cookie's in the oven.
    Gief inspiration.

15+ Year Old Account
    They poured $100 million (USD) into Starcraft 2. They have the near-unlimited funding resource, but doubtfully the man power. Multitudes of raids per tier would actually help the launch of Cataclysm. You'll get all the people who were bummed out at the launch of Wrath due to there only being a total of four raids that were end game content(EoE, VoA, Sarth, and Naxx). If they can top that in Cata, I won't mind the multiple raids per tier set up.

I like the progressive ladder for the Guild talents. Putting that into the hands of Guild Leadership assumed that every Guild leader was fair and even handed. Drama llama says meeeh...no. This way it takes the burden off guild leadership - as if they didn't have enough on their hands.Blizzard has gone back and basically re-written the game from the ground up- giving us old vets new reason to go over old ground.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Less inflation of gear.

Get better gear based on how far you get into a raid (not just from the last boss.)"

Are these contradictions?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killandra View Post
    "Less inflation of gear.

Get better gear based on how far you get into a raid (not just from the last boss.)"

Yes, and I'm getting too tired to explain further. I might come back later to edit this post.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killandra View Post
    "Less inflation of gear.

Less inflation of gear meaning gear level doesn't increase as much over tiers.

The other one means you have more than one tier per raid, as the bosses gradually get harder the gear gradually gets better, not by a large amount but still.

Just for clarity: The first boss in a raid is quite easy in comparison, the second boss takes a little more, the third one even more up until the last boss. So the tiers can be a bit like this, this is just an idea:

First tier:

Raid one: 1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8

Raid two: 1.3, 1.5, 1.7, 1.9

Raid three: 1.5, 1.8, 2.0, 2.3

And then comes tier 2 with a similar scale. That's just one way they could do it, haven't put too much thought into it except that the middle boss should be harder/more rewarding than the first one and the last boss the hardest and most rewarding. This way the raids don't get outdated as fast imo.
    Last edited by Monerya; 2010-07-20 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Gief inspiration.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree with the badges idea too, it got far too easy in WOTLK getting the second best emblems from 5 man heroics. I want to walk into a Cataclysm raid with average gear feeling like I have no chance to survive unlike WOTLK where you could storm right through Ulduar or ToC, epic feeling is epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Monerya View Post

Leper Messia, your cookie's in the oven.
    Delicious, thank you very much! *munch munch*

I think Blizz already stated that we will have more then 1 raid per tier, but each raid will be around 5-6 bosses. So no more 11-14 bosses in 1 raid.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherblood View Post
    I think Blizz already stated that we will have more then 1 raid per tier, but each raid will be around 5-6 bosses. So no more 11-14 bosses in 1 raid.
    I think that's great since we will not miss out on content, and get a change in scenery every now and then.
    Gief inspiration.

10+ Year Old Account
    i guess people dont read... but this would be my perfect Cataclysm

-Warlocks and Shamans get to tank non heroic content

-CC is used in every heroic five man

-Archeology get some links to glyphs and inscription

-Out lands and Northrend get some minor update to reflect some of the changes in azeroth

-Leveling a guild rep is not a grind fest

-Horde and Alliance get back to a pseudo peace before the last patch in Cataclysm

-oh and cooking get more "drinks" recepies

thats would be "MY" perfect Cataclysm i know blizz wont do most of it , I think this tread was made to post your "Perfect Cataclysm" not to comment on other people post.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Overall much harder raids? Well..what does that mean really? Raids "might" feel easy to people because they can do them in 25 man gear but on 10 man normal and "Bang"...there..I killed the LK therefor raids are easy. And I grinded heroics for my gear so I can join the endgame.

If that is your mindset, you are looking at a totally different system, kind of like Classic or most of TBC was..and then you are putting your head in the sand, because Blizzard is all over the place telling people that it is in their eyes an outdated system (and you would feel that way too, if you ..let us say had an accident, spend 5 months in the hospital and want to go back raiding with your build..but..tut tut..we have that system that you asked for in place, no end game content for you, back to grinding up the progression chain and gl finding a guild that does it. Off you go, joining a backwater guild)

Go ahead..you can still play that game. Even now. Say you take on a new recruit - How about you make it MANDATORY that the guy goes with YOUR GUILD for 2 weeks to Naxx, then 2 weeks Ulduar and then 2 weeks ToTC to "learn the ropes". You stop raiding ICC in that time, because that is how ppl did it in the good olde progression times. Hey..you liked that so much didn't you? Sure, you don't need to do it for the gear anymore..then do it because it was so awesome back then.

Now back to the "overall harder raids". The hard fights are and were still there, stop fooling yourself. Freya +3, Lose your Illusion, Firefighter, That cache was rare, Vexx with the Animus, Yogg +3,2,1,0? Levi +4? Alagalon? Anub HM, hell..even NB hardmode? LD, Saurfang, PP, Sindra, LK there are / were STILL hard fights. They were hard fights when the content was current, but ofc now you either outgear it or you have a cozy 25% buff..and I am not sure your guild could NOW kill LK 25m hard, PP 25 man hard or Sindra 25 man hard. I raise you one further..how about showing me you did Anub 25 man hard? How about Yogg +0..that will even defy ppl in today's gear? Herald of the titans to prove you can beat reall tough fights WITHOUT outgearing them? Just so we don't get this "1 fight doesn't save an expansion" bs.
    Whoa, you must really feel insulted. I have to go away, so I could get into a debate over this much later tonight, or you could accept that this is nothing more than my opinion and just say how you want cata to be instead.

I'm guessing you don't agree with me on that, wich is fine. It doesn't affect me in any way, and the way I want cata probably won't affect anyone else in any way. I just thought this would be fun, and I really don't want this thread t turn into an oh so familliar war.
    Gief inspiration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Forget it

Raid content accessibility
    You're asking for us to spend an inordinate amount of our development time on a very small portion of our player base. That might work for an instance as easy to develop as Molten Core. It won't work for Ulduar. Making raids only for the top 2% is hard to justify when we're sitting there looking at a long feature list trying to decide what features we want to do for Cataclysm and what has to wait. The equivalent would be saying "This is the Survival hunter expansion. We're going to spend a huge chunk of our development time on Survival hunters. If you don't play a hunter, sorry, but please buy our expansion anyway." Your strategy should actually be welcoming as many players as possible into raids -- that's what allows us to keep spending so much time and effort on them. (Source)

Keeping old content alive and challenging
    I'm not sure you feel this way, but typically the response is "I walked uphill in the snow, so they should have to as well." You got to the content first. You were showing off your tier set and Shadowmourne in Dalaran before those others guys. Why does it matter if they will eventually be able to catch up to you (especially since you'll pull ahead again the second a new raid is available)? The alternative is saying that those players should want to run through every raid tier before they can hit the new stuff, but I can tell you that whether or not they want to (and many don't) the facts suggest that they never finish and give up on raiding.

We're not really trying to keep Black Temple or Sunwell alive at this point, and by the same token, we're okay if Naxx has basically been reduced to achievements or weekly raid quests. It had its time in the sun. We don't need to prop it up forever. (Source)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1806 Blizzards thoughts on all the questions regarding this, so you can argue and wish and accept cookies from likeminded posters here until you are blue in the face, but it is not the developers intent. They want the community play whatever the endcontent is. And that includes people who join 2,4,6 or 12 months later.
    nice wall of text now your ideal Cataclysm is ??????????

Remove the 15 min HS CD from guild talents (never having to use the world blizz puts so much effort in making)
    Give us back 51-point trees (because the new ones have zero customization)
    As much pve content TBC had
    Actually progress in pve instead of heroics.->latest tier (because farming heroics the whole expansion is boring and so is farming the latest tier all the time)

Then im happy

I would like to see Blizzard incorporate the fundamentals of end-game raiding earlier in the game. After mages learn how to polymorph, give them a class quest that allows them to practice and move towards mastering the spell. That way, when the character reaches level-cap content and is expected to use it, they have some idea of what to do instead of being flagged as an idiot and normally kicked from the group. I think that every part of a server's population can benefit from new players having more practice at their signature abilities.

Also, high on my wishlist is more options for raid marking. Sometimes those 8 marks won't be enough, especially if Blizzard is bringing back cc. In TBC, many bosses and even some trash pulls would have a mark on each target, to designate who should tank, interrupt, or CC a given target. But it left no marks to use for players in your own raid, to mark tanks, healers, or someone with a given debuff. I think giving a seperate set of icons that raid leaders could apply to their own raids and making the current markings for NPCs only would help a great deal.