Deleted

Affliction Tree in Cata - PvP only?

What's going on with affliction tree for Cata?

It seems to be a pure PvP spec. In order to get to the bottom tiers you're FORCED to put points in any combo of Jinz/CoEx/Imp.Fear or Howl. Why would any PvE Aff player want to WASTE points in any of those abilities?

Is Blizz intention to make this a PvP only tree? Is there any announcement/blue post to this effect anywhere that i've missed?

They are beta talents, the need to balance them so please stop Q_Q

i will take jinz and coex for my PvE build.
    why wouldn't you want AoE CoE? it's just sweet
    same with CoEx got forbid you will have to kite any adds or something like that (Hi saurfang and all the arcane mages without slow, boomkins without typhoon and destro lock without shadowfury)

i just don't get it ppl want some wiggle room but once they get it they ask why can't we spend all our talent on +dmg...

As always the same "it's beta stop QQ" bullshit !

@Darklordace and @joseluis : are you guys going to say "it's beta" until release day -1 ? We need to speak up, discuss things NOW, when Blizzard release patches. This is what Beta is for : testing. If you want to improve things, if you have some demands you need to post about it. If you dont say anything, and wait passively until the next patch keeping saying "it's beta so no need to comment anything" you're gonna find yourself fucked up when Cataclysm hit with things you dislike.

Sure, MMO Chmapion is not the place where Blues get their feedback but it's also a nice space for brainstorming and ideas. If good discussions come up, eventually someone can make a nice recap of it on official forums, and get a positive response.

Now i'll go back to my Warriors forum. Good day to you, Warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alianthos View Post

@Darklordace and @joseluis : are you guys going to say "it's beta" until release day -1 ? We need to speak up, discuss things NOW, when Blizzard release patches. This is what Beta is for : testing. If you want to improve things, if you have some demands you need to post about it. If you dont say anything, and wait passively until the next patch keeping saying "it's beta so no need to comment anything" you're gonna find yourself fucked up when Cataclysm hit with things you dislike.

Sure, MMO Chmapion is not the place where Blues get their feedback but it's also a nice space for brainstorming and ideas. If good discussions come up, eventually someone can make a nice recap of it on official forums, and get a positive response.

I really wanted to say this. You are right, sir.

coex is still underwhelming in pvp. forcing me to take it will make me roll my eyes.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=frester;8402374]i will take jinz and coex for my PvE build.
    why wouldn't you want AoE CoE? it's just sweet

granted Jinx might be useful on trash - time will tell. CoEx for PvE is waste of a point - never once come across a circumstance levelling or raiding where it was needed.

umm the whole affli tree will be useless in cata.
    in PvE = so long ramp up, its only useful for long bossfights without target switching.

in PvP = Everyone will have a interrupt in cata with like 10 sec CD, affli still got no defense against interrupt and we have ONLY shadow spells. our curses area a joke, fear is a joke, our defenses and escape tools area a joke

R.I.P. affli, was fun while it lasted

Well he has a point. How can you say aff will be bad in pve before any form of numbers are released. Making aff viable in pve is as simple as tuning the mastery bonus.

Jinx as a prerequisite for CoEx does seem strange, but Jinx itself is most certainly not a PVP only talent.
    A multi-target CoE so avoiding the need to apply it to each and every one in a group prior to single target dps - Hell yes.
    I am dissapointed by the real lack of options, but the again I hope this is just an early pass with it receiving another look later.

It's not just "it's beta." It's that the Warlock talents are still in a very preliminary state and the big changes are not yet implemented. If you play two classes and you've looked at the Warrior trees, you can clearly see that the Warlock trees and especially the affliction tree are at a much earlier stage of development.

My understanding is that big changes are coming for affliction; they've mentioned that they want shadowbolt out of the affliction rotation since Ruin is out of the picture, but shadow embrace, everlasting affliction and nightfall are still based around Wrath mechanics. When Blizz indicates the talents are implemented, if they still suck, that will be the time to complain. For now, I think it's reasonable to assume we're dealing with mostly placeholder trees.
    Last edited by Crawford; 2010-07-21 at 12:11 PM.
    Author of DON'T EVER GET OLD , Nominated for the Edgar, Anthony and Thriller awards for Best First Novel.
    My Blog: http://danieljfriedman.blogspot.com
    My Warcraft/Gaming Blog: http://biggerthankologarn.blogspot.com
    My Twitter: http://twitter.com/DanFriedman81

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by dmz390
    Is Blizz intention to make this a PvP only tree? Is there any announcement/blue post to this effect anywhere that i've missed?
    The obvious answer to the above is: It's Beta. There really isn't anything constructive about the OP's post, therefore, the only answer is, it's beta.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2010-07-21 at 12:14 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamtruck View Post
    umm the whole affli tree will be useless in cata.
    in PvE = so long ramp up, its only useful for long bossfights without target switching.

in PvP = Everyone will have a interrupt in cata with like 10 sec CD, affli still got no defense against interrupt and we have ONLY shadow spells. our curses area a joke, fear is a joke, our defenses and escape tools area a joke

R.I.P. affli, was fun while it lasted
    All the reasons you're explaining why affliction will be bad in Cata are currently present in Wrath...and affliction is fine...

Actually they did not state they want shadowbolt out of the rotation, just the opposite in fact.
    Taking shadowbolt out and us moving to drains would turn us into shadowpriests as far as the playstyle goes.
    Dot, Dot, Dot, Channel.

Jinx is fine for PvE. You now have the best AoE spell damage debuff in the game. An unholy death knight would have to pestilence first, and that's assuming he has a free blood / death rune. I don't know much about moonkins but afaik they have to cast wrath or starfire on the target to apply their debuff. This is great for fights with adds - Marrowgar / Deathwhisper / Saurfang / Putri / DW / princes (considering theres 3 of them) / LK. It's 40 yards too, pestilence isn't even half that distance. I'd take an affliction lock to a raid just for this. Luckily, I'm an affliction lock so I'll be there anyway.

CoEx - Yea it's a typical PvP ability. I don't want to have to take it, I'd rather have a damaging talent to place it in. But with the inclusion of aspect of the fox for hunters, it would seem that there might be some kiting fights in Cataclysm. If there are, then this can be used. It's not as effective as other slowing effects, but you're not always guaranteed every ability in a raid. This could come in handy.

Long ramp up time? The only added ramp up is an extra spell isn't it? Now we get to use a curse and bane, so what, the ramp up time on a fight is one added GCD? And it's not like you'll be doing that on adds - Jinx will put CoE on them.. 40 yard range should be plenty.

I've been surprised by how many people on the European wow forums and the cataclysm wow forum have been slating imp. drain soul. Are people forgetting about the 20% reduced threat? Soul shatter is so unbelievably bad, it makes imp. drain soul a great talent.

When did they say they wanted to take Shadow Bolt out of the Affliction playstyle?
    Last edited by flashur; 2010-07-21 at 11:55 PM.

Seeing as how Demo and Destro are getting all their talent trees rebuilt, and aff hasn't been touched, I'd say that Aff's changes are about to come about.

BTW: Ghosty posted:
    Looks like aff is in next patch.
    (Also, I'm calling on us getting a missile barrage style proc for drain life/soul.)
    Here are a few upcoming changes you'll see in the next beta build:

-- Improved Drain Soul and Dark Pact have been cut / redesigned.
    -- Aftermath is a 100% chance to proc with 2 points. That is just a tooltip error.
    -- Soul Fire’s base cast time is reduced to 4 sec, and Emberstorm takes it down to 3 sec.
    -- Demonic Aegis back to 15/30%.
    -- Drain Life will do more competitive damage.

Q u o t e:
    And what about everlasting affliction is it meant to be only 60% chance to renew corruption or is it a bug ?

No, it's 100% with 3 ranks. Otherwise it wouldn't be very everlasting. Probably a tooltip error from the conversion from 5 to 3 ranks.

To emphasize: as has been said, that is the right response when something is clearly not even close to being finished.

Anyways, also: Jinx is a sweet buff to CoE. It's significantly superior to Ebon Plaguebringer, which is the only thing even somewhat similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Actually they did not state they want shadowbolt out of the rotation, just the opposite in fact.
    Taking shadowbolt out and us moving to drains would turn us into shadowpriests as far as the playstyle goes.
    Dot, Dot, Dot, Channel.
    We'll know in the next build. GC said Drain Life will do competitive damage. :/

Certainly an interesting point, but there was a substantial discussion as to why affliction is not based around drains, and how they did not want to simply create another shadowpriest.
    I hope this drain life buff is more a utility buff, rather than any serious attempt to work it into a rotation.