Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

CC in cataclysm...

For me, it's bad. I don't like single target tanking at all. I picked my class because it excelled at AOE tanking (pally), but now it seems all that is gonna be useless in cataclysm. Now before you flame saying I'm some idiot who can't tank or CC or etc, I wasn't around at level cap in vanilla or BC.

What I find fun is multiple targets at once in my face. I don't like going CC this, CC that, then I'll tank this mob until it's dead. Then move on to the next one. That's just really boring to me.

What do you think about CC being brought back in Cata?
    Last edited by backor; 2010-07-23 at 01:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by backor View Post
    For me, it's bad. I don't like single target tanking at all. I picked my class because it excelled at AOE tanking (pally), but now it seems all that is gonna be useless in cataclysm. Now before you flame saying I'm some idiot who can't tank or CC or etc, I wasn't around at level cap in vanilla or BC.

What I find fun is multiple targets at once in my face. I don't like going CC this, CC that, then I'll tank this mob until it's dead. Then move on to the next one. That's just really boring to me.

What do you think about CC being brought back in Cata?
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, there's always going to be trash packs in raid fights that off-tanks need to aoe tank at some point.

CC should return, it'll make the playerbase more intelligent again hopefully

10+ Year Old Account
    CC doesn't mean single-target fights. Say there's a pack of four or five enemies; your group would CC one or two and you'd tank the rest.

Not every group combination will have valuable CC anyway, so I doubt CC will be necessary (at least not once people are geared).

Quote Originally Posted by backor View Post
    I wasn't around at level cap in vanilla or BC.
    Exactly. Give it a try before you worry too much. It's much more fun overall for everyone, trust me.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's an overall better change and should be less faceroll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking foreward to it personally, 5 man challenge.
    01/01/07 since backwards threads reading / "The day EU trolled Blizzard". 22/02/11 Peace out.

Yeah, CCing isn't about killing every mob one at a time.

It's about CCing the 1-2 mobs that could be devestating while killing the other 3 that the tank is tanking.

If you enjoy mashing buttons without having to turn on your brain, go play something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jitzul View Post
    i just wonder how many people will quit when cc comes back and the game is to "hard"
    good then we can filter out some of the bads

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking very much forward to this change, and I have since they announced it. Some of the dungeons were actually tough to get through back in TBC, especially the naga packs in Slave Pens are clear in my memory. As well as the first few packs in The Eye. 1 mistake during the pull, and it could mean a wipe on the trash. Anxiety and coordination ftw! ^^
    Definition of irony:

From what I gather, there's going to be a mix of aoe and cc required. No one would seriously argue that the current state of the game provides a decent challenge, however, there is something very satisfying about nuking a large group. The other thing is that with the retro-Rose-tinted glasses firmly removed, I also don't want a return to the type of playing that lead to cc=better player= elitist assholes either. I think the real solution lies in the guild progression and making people find, stay, with good guilds. That will really solve more issues than just bringing cc back.

Quote Originally Posted by Roqq View Post
    No one would seriously argue that the current state of the game provides a decent challenge
    No I do not find spaming Seed of Corruption to be a decent challenge. Do you know what was a decent challenge?

Fear kiting a single mob using CoR to break the fear when he strayed too close to an enemy pack. Using Enslave Demon to gain control of an enemy succubus. Using that succubus to seduce another target. banishing a demon that would be less than advantageous to control. Using Howl and death coil to fill in the gaps on fearing a second target. All at the same time.
    I miss Shadow Labyrinth.

Quote Originally Posted by Roqq View Post
    I also don't want a return to the type of playing that lead to cc=better player= elitist assholes either.
    Your issue with CC is that there are people better at it than you and that they say as much?
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    It's about CCing the 1-2 mobs that could be devestating while killing the other 3 that the tank is tanking.
    Like those Ethereals in MGT that would blink into the middle of your casters and start blasting off Arcane Explosions.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    I think it will fail in PUGs and stress out healers.
    Good hopefully it will teach people to learn how to play

Have I entered some parallel dimension where you can only tank mobs where they stand? Have CCers pull, pick up the rest of the pack en route? Hey presto, you can AOE tank now without breaking CC!

I'm so glad CC is coming back, I also miss Shadow Labyrinth. That room before de Ogre Boss "It's fun time!" was amazing. When you had it all CC'ed and controlled "LOLWUT ROGUE FUCKIN' UP THA HEALER!" then a CC ran out and pulled a misstress that you knew you should have pulled before the big pulls. You had to plan it, you had to put effort on it, it gave heroics a sense of epicness. You can just go quest if you want to kill mobs without giving a damn.

mark my words when cc comes back lfd will die and you can only run dungeons with people you know who are perfect...and mages and rogues

you generally crowd control one of 2 or three primarily dangerous targets and burn down the other two. What its going to be like is more fights where there is a healer, and maybe a crowd controller. You can fight with the Crowd controller fearing your allies, or stunning the tank(keeping him from mitigating dmg) or you can fight with the healer healing people. You can not CC either of them but it will be a harder fight. Crowd controlling will make it easier. Try testing it out on BC fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jitzul View Post
    mark my words when cc comes back lfd will die and you can only run dungeons with people you know who are perfect...and mages and rogues
    Doomsayer, shush. Go back under your rock.

This will be an excellent change, might bring back coordination and the use of brainpower.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

If CC actually does return I'm gonna piss my pants. I highly doubt it will be on par with BC heroics, but anything is better than this piss-poor system.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Paladin tanks were able to do SH heroic in BC which was considered a fair CC haven for early geared groups, I'm sure it wont change from that too much. CC helps but its not like you are going to be tanking 1 mob. Maybe you'll just be ccing that annoying huge debuffer or the healer of a group and aoe tanking all the warrior mobs for example.