Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilate View Post
    I personally think that with a couple more tweaks and additions to this latest set talents, that Ret will finally be able to shine in both competitive pvp and pve without attracting the number of flavor of the month rerollers that it did in 3.0 because it offered retarded burst that wasn't at all challenging to pull off.
    And you are assuming that some change is made to Ret mobility?? Or do you run your arena team with multiple dispellers?

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

There aren't really any options for ret outside of pve spec or pvp spec. I have my fingers crossed that the new medium and major glyphs will allow more tailoring.

Something along the lines of skipping AoW and Sanctity of Battle and have my glyphs focus on heavy striking or taking those two talents and have my glyphs give me a decent, ranged nuke for pvp since pallies are so kitable.

Why is anyone even bothering with Acts of Sacrifice?

http://www.wowtal.com/#k=7Bld5k_M.9q4.paladin

Grab replenishment/repent/rebuke.

EDIT: My comment about eye for an eye being potentially usable in PvE was an idea tossed around abck when e4d still proc'd a judgement.

Since it's back to %damage it's safe to assume as many already have it won't work well in PvE for ret.
    Last edited by BDF; 2010-07-24 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BDF View Post

Grab replenishment/repent/rebuke and toss the last point in Eye for an Eye for dps. I'm trying to find the blue post now, but I sure someone said that eye for and eye could effect literally all damage...even aoe. Tryin to find the post.
    I personally doubt it applies to all damage personally because that would be a little out of hand. MAAAAAYBE it will apply to all targeted damage ie. if you get shadowbolted by a boss or something yes but not arcane explosion style aoe. I believe the post you are referring to is just pointing out that its all damage directed at you not just crits now. Not that every single point of damage a boss throws at the raid is susceptable. 5 or so rets in a raid with full points in it would punish a boss that has aoe HARD.
    Mixelphlick 80 Gnome mage
    Beetstick 80 Gnome deathknight

Grab replenishment/repent/rebuke and toss the last point in Eye for an Eye for dps. I'm trying to find the blue post now, but I sure someone said that eye for and eye could effect literally all damage...even aoe. Tryin to find the post.
    Repentance will have no use in PvE, and e4e won't proc off boss abilities just like the warrior enrage talent doesn't. Smack 'em in Selfless Healer because you will offheal sparingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Repentance will have no use in PvE, and e4e won't proc off boss abilities just like the warrior enrage talent doesn't. Smack 'em in Selfless Healer because you will offheal sparingly.
    i'm slightly hoping e4e will proc, but no i dont exactly expect it to. but it may proc off things like boiling blood. thats something that i expec to be debated heavily in the future.

---------- Post added 2010-07-24 at 03:12 AM ----------

btw, i have this boubt that 2 points in aow is going to be worth it for pve. so there is your point for repentance. but, i do expect some use for inquisition to be brought back, thus juggling the tree again. whats the point in the spell if it only effects holy shield duration?
    Last edited by Nikoll; 2010-07-24 at 03:14 AM.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by LethalGT View Post
    http://www.wowtal.com/#k=7BwkNkD5.9q4.paladin

That's going to be mine atm. Seems like the maximum damage without some lesser talents that I wouldn't see my self using.

Post yours.
    I will have that spec too. The way things are now, pretty much all raiding paladins will have that cookie cutter spec.

I really don't understand why on earth anyone would forgo repentance....it's a ranged instant cast sap.

I really don't understand why on earth anyone would forgo repentance....it's a ranged instant cast sap.
    because in a boss fight it has almost no use.
    Pondering returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll View Post
    i'm slightly hoping e4e will proc, but no i dont exactly expect it to. but it may proc off things like boiling blood. thats something that i expec to be debated heavily in the future.

---------- Post added 2010-07-24 at 03:12 AM ----------

btw, i have this boubt that 2 points in aow is going to be worth it for pve. so there is your point for repentance. but, i do expect some use for inquisition to be brought back, thus juggling the tree again. whats the point in the spell if it only effects holy shield duration?
    I believe you reading that wrong. Exclusive with holy sheild means they cant be up at the same time not that it only works with holy sheild. One excludes the other. Its already a solely ret ability.

*edit to nikoll: gee cuz theres nothing but boss fights in a dungeon and they cant possibly make trash legitimately deadly that would throw the game back to... well to ssc/tk or later. CC will matter in cata thats been said repeatedly

But in trash it does...what else are you going to spend the point on? a %10 shorter cooldown on salvation/freedom?

It's a quality of life issue.

more than that its the entire set of choices that blizzard is trying to get at. Think about it if the main damage talents are relatively simple and mostly set in stone guilds are going to look at the rest of this. They are going to wonder what else did this guy take did he take repentance to be a team player or the shorter cd on salv/freedom to help out the raid. Did he take the interrupt instead, they may even try and get a stable of palies that did different things specifically so that they have different tools for different situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixelphlick View Post
    I believe you reading that wrong. Exclusive with holy sheild means they cant be up at the same time not that it only works with holy sheild. One excludes the other. Its already a solely ret ability.

*edit to nikoll: gee cuz theres nothing but boss fights in a dungeon and they cant possibly make trash legitimately deadly that would throw the game back to... well to ssc/tk or later. CC will matter in cata thats been said repeatedly
    i had assumed the backtraked on the "holy roar" idea. and for those of us that min/max our damage, repentance is useless where the chance at e4e procing on a random add in a boss fight or an ability of a boss is worth a lot more. for heroics repentance might be necessary. in a 10 man it might be needed for trash too. But in a 25 there is a lot of people with non trained cc. the fact that we have to train our interrupt and cc is ridiculous given the new system. so, in short, i'm not going to promote a spec for trash and heroics.

---------- Post added 2010-07-24 at 04:25 AM ----------

also, im already sick of the extra adds. thanks curse! -_-
    Pondering returning.

Seriously though there is no way rationally that e4e is ever going to work in pve it would be too uncontrollably powerful. Or barring that it would implement a new section in every fight description on wowhead, that being what from this boss triggers it and what doesnt adding yet more metaknowledge to this game that cant be gleaned easily from the game itself. Which btw is against just about everything blizzard is trying to do with these talent specs. Were i you i would assume e4e is useless pve and be happily surprised if by some miracle it works. Think about it this way with it in tier one even prot can grab it and when the main tank hits from a boss are getting a third reflected thats both stupid amounts of extra threat and damage on a totally rng mechanic which is again against everything blizzard has set out to do with both tanking and dps. So no i wouldnt take it for pve at all until somebody checks it out because it makes no sense design wise for it to work.

But in trash it does...what else are you going to spend the point on? a %10 shorter cooldown on salvation/freedom?

It's a quality of life issue.
    http://www.wowtal.com/#k=7BwkN8wS.9q4.paladin

This spec will be the "Standard" for hard modes come Cataclysm(assuming nothing else is changed, which is highly unlikely). A ranged sap on trash is not as important as a clutch offheal on a hard mode.

frankly i agree completely but its decisions like the one you just made that are the entire point of this new talent system choosing between a clutch heal, or interrupt and a cc on trash or some other utility talent are decently interesting choices when they dont have to compete with flat damage buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixelphlick View Post
    Seriously though there is no way rationally that e4e is ever going to work in pve it would be too uncontrollably powerful. Or barring that it would implement a new section in every fight description on wowhead, that being what from this boss triggers it and what doesnt adding yet more metaknowledge to this game that cant be gleaned easily from the game itself. Which btw is against just about everything blizzard is trying to do with these talent specs. Were i you i would assume e4e is useless pve and be happily surprised if by some miracle it works. Think about it this way with it in tier one even prot can grab it and when the main tank hits from a boss are getting a third reflected thats both stupid amounts of extra threat and damage on a totally rng mechanic which is again against everything blizzard has set out to do with both tanking and dps. So no i wouldnt take it for pve at all until somebody checks it out because it makes no sense design wise for it to work.
    E4e works now in pve and they put it in t1 ret. I don't think hats a coincidence.

Edit: moving away from rng? 40% chance to proc holy power on ds and tv? Prot has a chance to refresh cs cd. Maelstrom weapon, slam, arcane missles(assuming that is still changing for mages). Blizz is far from mving away from procs.
    Last edited by Nikoll; 2010-07-24 at 12:03 PM.
    Pondering returning.

not moving away from procs but from rng. Its different. 40% chance can be planned for you know roughly how often it will proc and usually those procs arnt going to be quite that game changing, because they have a relatively regular proc chance. 5/10% on the other hand isnt and random extra damage with no skill to use is not the kind of procs they are trying to foster. Also and this is even more noticable something like that might foster the attitudes of trying to take some non lethal damage to maximize dps by reflection which is exatly why seal of blood is gone. Palidins were a pain in the ass to heal because they did almost as much damage to themselves as the boss. Think about it this way on live you have some boss abilities that hit for 60k or more thats a 20k proc with no reactive component, no thought no skill nothing that blizzard has been talking about recently.

Also it working now in pve is.... great? cuz you know bosses can totally crit with ummmm........ oh yeah they cant so its really not something blizzard has to worry about currently in pve its up there so everybody can dip for it in pvp.
    Last edited by Mixelphlick; 2010-07-25 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll View Post
    also, im already sick of the extra adds. thanks curse! -_-
    Get AdBlock Plus. I literally have never seen an add on this site.

On topic: Repentance is terrible and will remain terrible until it's 1 minute CD is changed. Forgo it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdream View Post
    Get AdBlock Plus. I literally have never seen an add on this site.

On topic: Repentance is terrible and will remain terrible until it's 1 minute CD is changed. Forgo it.
    unfortunatly they dont make adblock plus for the iphone.
    Pondering returning.