Thumbs up Digital Cataclysm

With starcraft 2 4 days away they are letting you pre download the client and install / activate on launch day at 1pm EST. With wotlk you werent able to download off the site untill a little while into the EXP. With Cataclysm do you think they will have Digital download or should i pre order Disk /Box (Actually having the box and disk and w.e els they give means nothing to me just the game)

I just posted about this in another thread. I think they will. All the old world changes have to be patched in anyway. I'm hoping this time I actually get to play at midnight, instead of the next afternoon when UPS shows up.

I really hope so. It'd be really nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fighting alongside Turalyon and Alleria against the Burning Legion
    Yes, i hope so, This was what i was hoping for. If we can Pre-purchase Cataclysm from blizzard store and pre-download it then we can play mid-night of release. Downside is, that it will probably cost more for a digital copy. Blizvision will want to milk us, so it might be better and cheaper to buy from your local games store or supermarket.
    Participator in the Great 'Real ID Forum Change' Riot July 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Divaet View Post
    I love being self-richeous..
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyBlink View Post
    Malygos flips out and creates a mana blackhole. Mages no longer use Mana, instead having a new resource called 'Derp'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Texar View Post
    Yes, i hope so, This was what i was hoping for. If we can Pre-purchase Cataclysm from blizzard store and pre-download it then we can play mid-night of release. Downside is, that it will probably cost more for a digital copy. Blizvision will want to milk us, so it might be better and cheaper to buy from your local games store or supermarket.
    its very true, from a profit stand point they prolly will offer the chance to download it online before release i see no reason why they could miss huge chance at profit with a release, how much remains to be seen.

The download is just a way for blizzard to offer the game for people who didn't pre-order, and thereby, can't get the game because the stores will not be in stock of the game for a few weeks. Its cool that you'll be able to start right when the servers come up, but I can still remember the days of Burning Crusade and dumping the entire contents of a server into one zone. OMG, the restarts!!!

But, I'm a nerd...I want the collectors editions stuff!

Edit: Looks like even the installer program won't be "active" until the release date, so all you got is the installation files on your computer. Ideally, its faster to install something from your computer onto your computer then from a DVD/CD to your computer, but again, it doesn't look like you gain any real advantage. In fact, if everyone starts the download at the same time, it might actually take longer then if you went to the midnight release, waited in line, came home and installed through the disks.

Also, if Blizzard ups the price for a pre-download, then I'll finally admit they are greedy SOBs
    Last edited by Edog720; 2010-07-23 at 05:11 PM. Reason: More info found

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking about this too last night. I hope they offer this option. I'd love to have it downloaded, patched, and ready to go.

Probably will, but like Starcraft II, they will probably not allow you to install/play until the following day. Works for me, I don't care if I play it at midnight, I can wait until the next day.

15+ Year Old Account
    aye I hope they do, pre-ordered a box for wotlk.. and It got delivered a week to late.

"Friends don't let friends be gnomes."

I'll be in a midnight line for the CE, regardless of any digital downloads. :P

A few from my guild are from countries that either get a limited number of copies or get it a few days later due to stores having to import it. They are hoping for an online purchase/download option too so they can play at the same time and not have to wait a day or 3.

all i know is ill be at gamestop with my friends again that night.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they do. I'm still going to go and buy the game from retail, but my DVD/CD drive doesn't work, so I have to download it even if I have the DVD. My brother doesn't even have a DVD drive, so he has to download as well.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)