Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warrior's Slam Sucks

I've played a warrior for years and am i the only one who thinks Slam is a completely garbage ability that needs to go?

Sure it's great for Fury when they get their insta proc's, but it's just a pain in my butt when it comes to Arms.
    Cast time attacks for a melee = lolwut

I for one would LOVE to see Blizzard either change slam, or at least change it for MS so that it either doesn't have a cast time at all and has a CD on it, or just scrap the idea completely for arms and leave it as is for fury proc's. Maybe give warrior's a new attack for MS that has a CD or something.

Everything about Warriors in Cataclysm looks awesome so far, cept for Slam. Slam sucks

Deleted
    for arms it a filler attack, for the offchance u have a free GDC, for fury its a dmg-dealing move we use whenever it procs. tbh i dont think in cata arms is gonna need it but fury is gonna still be using it all the time even with ragin blow for another gdc. plus just slapping someone on the side of the face with the side of your sword hurts. but pull-back for a second and it hurts more

Deleted
    i loved using Slam in Molten Core. It gave some nice numbers

So you want slam to be another instant attack with a cd ?

No thanks, we have plenty of those.

I love slam, always will.

Loved it in pre-bc when you used it whenever you could hs cause of threat.
    Loved it in bc when it clipped your swing and it added an extra layer to dpsing (kinda like old steady shot)
    Love it in wotlk now (which imo its in its best incarnation, its used for both specs but both very diffrent).

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see something added to slam via the improved slam talent in arms to make it more attractive. An interrupt or sunder armor maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerandomhobo View Post
    So you want slam to be another instant attack with a cd ?

No thanks, we have plenty of those.

I agree. Every melee class is filled with instant attacks which are worked into some kind of rotation. Warrior, I feel, currently has the most unique rotations in that we don't have rotations at all, lol. We have priority lists. We have to be awake and alert and pay attention to every proc, every gcd, even mob placement in the case of WW (soon to be gone in cata tho). Slam adds to that depth in the cast time. Now we have to make the decision whether we have time to slam, or whether we need to eat the slight dps loss so we can get the hell outa the fire!

Like the other posters said, fury only uses at an instant attack anyway, arms does have to think about it a bit more. But all in all, I'm happy with slam and it's uniqueness. If you want all the instant attacks and thoughtless rotations, roll a ret pally (no offense).

The only thing that needs to be changed about slam is that it's a slam.

Seriously...why would you whack them with your weapons? Swords aren't for smashing!
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Quote Originally Posted by Theprophecy2186 View Post
    Warrior, I feel, currently has the most unique rotations in that we don't have rotations at all, lol. We have priority lists.
    Yes, warriors are unique for having a priority system and needing to watch for procs... right along with enhancement shamans, frost DK's, cat druids, survival hunters, and possibly more.

Very unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    The only thing that needs to be changed about slam is that it's a slam.

Seriously...why would you whack them with your weapons? Swords aren't for smashing!
    You must be new to the whole fantasy genre ...

Quote Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
    Yes, warriors are unique for having a priority system and needing to watch for procs... right along with enhancement shamans, frost DK's, cat druids, survival hunters, and possibly more.

Very unique.
    I've actually been wondering just how many ways you can make a certain class do DPS within the restrictions of the game code. Seems to me that either rotations or priority systems are the only even vaguely interesting solutions. But perhaps there are others? It would be nice to see something else, even if I can't imagine what it might look like.
    Still waiting on the skillscore addon ...

Quote Originally Posted by Direpanda View Post
    I've actually been wondering just how many ways you can make a certain class do DPS within the restrictions of the game code. Seems to me that either rotations or priority systems are the only even vaguely interesting solutions. But perhaps there are others? It would be nice to see something else, even if I can't imagine what it might look like.
    The only real way to add in variety/flavor is to have dual resource mechanics. DK's, even if they are bound by extremely tight rotations or priority systems, have both runes and runic power to look after. Rogues (and druids) have had it, to a point, since the beginning with energy and combo points. Now, warlocks, paladins, and balance druids are also getting secondary resource (or resource-like) mechanics.

Speaking as somebody who has largely played DPS since day one of vanilla, priority/proc watching DPS is the most fun, followed by tight rotational DPS, with whatever Ret paladins and Marksmanship hunters are in a distant third. I think the classes with secondary resource mechanics in Cataclysm - with the exception of possibly warlocks - will be a lot of fun.

Slam is a rough gem in an even rougher patch of earth. Outside vanilla WoW slam could be seen as useless. The idea behind Slam is a simple one. Combat high swing times on weapons by giving you a faster attack. In a sense, Slam is a glorified white attack with a cast bar. Slam usefulness since WotLK; however has waned as Warriors now have access to better and more useful abilities. Using Slam during vanilla was actually a valid strategy as Warriors didn't have many instant attacks. Even talented, Slam feels abandoned and worthless. I remember when AV was first released.. I was playing my first ever character and realized that Warriors were nothing more than "Charge + Intimidating shout" in AV. Our lack of instant attacks made killing anything difficult.

I petitioned on the forums to make Slam an instant attack, but the results from the community were less than desirable. I think people feared Slam would replace Mortal Strike, etc and that Slam was ok as it was.

On reflection, maybe they were right. Regardless, I've never used Slam and I still consider not worth placing on our hotbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Tails Prower View Post
    Regardless, I've never used Slam and I still consider not worth placing on our hotbar.
    If you solely pvp, then I guess I can see you feeling that way. In PvE Arms, it's an essential gap-filler for when your instants are not proccing. I have no doubt that its value will change given Cataclysm (hopefully for the better), but that's hard to foresee.
    Carthago delenda est.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're better off in the Warrior forum than the Cataclysm General forum due to the nature of the post; http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/278-Warrior
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Tails Prower View Post
    Slam is a rough gem in an even rougher patch of earth. Outside vanilla WoW slam could be seen as useless. The idea behind Slam is a simple one. Combat high swing times on weapons by giving you a faster attack. In a sense, Slam is a glorified white attack with a cast bar. Slam usefulness since WotLK; however has waned as Warriors now have access to better and more useful abilities. Using Slam during vanilla was actually a valid strategy as Warriors didn't have many instant attacks. Even talented, Slam feels abandoned and worthless. I remember when AV was first released.. I was playing my first ever character and realized that Warriors were nothing more than "Charge + Intimidating shout" in AV. Our lack of instant attacks made killing anything difficult.

I petitioned on the forums to make Slam an instant attack, but the results from the community were less than desirable. I think people feared Slam would replace Mortal Strike, etc and that Slam was ok as it was.

On reflection, maybe they were right. Regardless, I've never used Slam and I still consider not worth placing on our hotbar.
    Arms warriors using slam in their rotation got along just fine in TBC (assuming they were competent and had a swing timer). They could pull down competitive dps while giving the raid a physical damage buff.

Warriors who didn't want to learn how to change stances might have felt like they were doing nothing but "charge+shout," but they have always had plenty of buttons to push in a pvp setting (when not spamming hamstring, of course).

I used slam all the time in classic since it did the BEST rage per damage as arms and scaled amazingly, had to time it correctly though since it reset your auto attack and you could end up losing DPS.

Slam is a filler skill for arms, sorta like dev for prot.
    I think it's mostly fine at what it does today, a low cost filler ability.
    Slam is hard to use in pvp I'll say that much, if you could move while casting it that would fix a lot issues players have with it, maybe incorporating a sunder debuff into imp slam would be great- I HATE sundering in raids as arms since it eats up my slamming time.

P.S Bring back the old slam animation! I miss it so much! "I'maa charging meh slam up!"

slam is a attack that hits for more then heroic strike, and got a vastly lower hit timer (1.5 sec, 2h weps+heroic strike got 2.8-3.X speed) i've been arms sinth vanilla now, and i used it insteadt of heroic strike as a filler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    slam is a attack that hits for more then heroic strike, and got a vastly lower hit timer (1.5 sec, 2h weps+heroic strike got 2.8-3.X speed) i've been arms sinth vanilla now, and i used it insteadt of heroic strike as a filler.
    Any reason you're not using both? Not high-end geared I'm guessing? Two different types of moves. Heroic strike is off the GCD and replaces your next melee, causing it to cost not only the 12 rage to activate it but the rage you would have received from a white hit. It's essential at higher levels to keep from rage capping (even when slamming) and it's a really nice DPS boost, especially when 55/8/8 was popular.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain the Improved Slam in Arms makes it instant with a cooldown, but they could always change that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    I'm fairly certain the Improved Slam in Arms makes it instant with a cooldown, but they could always change that.
    I'm fairly certain that if that was the case, this thread wouldn't exsist.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    I'm fairly certain that if that was the case, this thread wouldn't exsist.
    It would, it'd just have a preface about how Blizzard is totally restricting our talent freedom by making a talent like improved slam and not just making it baseline for speccing arms.