Angry bizzard is hacked or has ninjas

lot of stories about inacctive accounts getting hacked lately. heres a new one.

log on tonight to see my my wifes toon in helfire ramps. she is at work and hasnt used the computer since may 20. i know cus she went on a trip and its been unpluged since then. she had a password with 4#s and 8 letters. she played wow and pogo and nothing else. (not very computer smart (sorry dear ))

the account was closed begining of july for no payment.

yet NOW somehow they got her email and password. and i guess they payed to open the accoutn again.

im thinking eather blizz is hacked itself or someone there is handing out inactive account info.

reposted from wow site where it should be deleted any second.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brute force hack. Randomly generates passwords until one hits. And getting her email is a trivial task.

There is a belief that many keylogged or phised accounts are not used immediately.
    That may be either that the details were sold on, or simply to avoid attracting too much attention by not accessing too many accounts at once from any given location.

Got to agree that getting an email address is pretty trivial, and if anything made accounts more susceptable instead of more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by kalyynthefailadin View Post
    Brute force hack. Randomly generates passwords until one hits. And getting her email is a trivial task.
    Brute force doesn't RANDOMLY generate passwords, just to be clear. It generally uses a dictionary attack these days, but there's always some logical way to progress through possible passwords. Like a, b, c, d, etc. Not grhagjhajhg, raghaayr, gahgatre. Definitely not random.

More on topic, as others have said. Compromised accounts are not necessarily used immediately. Those guys have a loooot of accounts, and work through them over time. The only hacks that are used immediately at the ones targeting authenticators, which are pretty damn rare.
    So you have issues of brute force attacks or delayed use of the compromised account explaining it.

Now here's the important part. If blizzard got hacked, you know how many passwords the hackers would get? Zero. None. Passwords are not stored in some plain text on some database. They use hash functions. It's like security 101. The reason anyone who cares about security does that is so that if they are compromised, all the passwords aren't immediately found out. No one at blizzard has your password to be handing it out or losing it via being hacked.

Deleted
    chinese farmer don't need any technology to get your accounts,
    all they need is a mail client,

most hacked account are just guys replying to a scam mail

YES YOU GOT THE CATA BETA, JUST CONFIRM YOUR PASSWORD ACCOUNT on IHACKSTUPIDGUYS.COM.

4 solutions for your wife:
    - she has wow related spyware(s) on her pc
    - she shared his account with a friend who is using the account now
    - her friend has a pc full of spyware
    - she replyed to a scam

And i don't see any hackers trying anything on blizzard itself, when it's so easy to troll players.
    Last edited by mmoc3142c27852; 2010-07-25 at 09:06 AM.