Voters
343. This poll is closed
  • Yes, give us something else

70 20.41%
  • No, ummm... i like buffs

273 79.59%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm sorry. At which point did I mention anything regarding a majority of anything? Again, just because some don't like a spell, does not mean others hate it. Complaining about 'moar ramp up time!' or 'it's boring and we're gonna be balanced around it!' sort of things aren't helping. Asking beta players to test it out and see how it plays would be the correct action to take. It's that kind of feedback that Blizzard needs to deal with this spell properly -- whether that be leaving it as is or removing it or tweaking it; ya know, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Judging an ability which only a fraction of players have yet to experience in any shape or form.
    The number balancing at blizzard's admission has some way to go, so this is completely and utterly pointless gesturing trying to distract from the fact you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
    if you get a spell that says "instant cast 1 min cd makes caster immune to shadow damage for 8 seconds"

ofc i know nothing about it from this description it could infact make me do a backflip and increase my damage by 86.33%

oh wait no it wont CAUSE I READ THE FUCKING DESCRIPTION

we all know what it does cause we can read the skill is shit read the tooltip idiot.

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

I wanted the Burning Legion Faction

I went on answered the questions didnt think id get it by what i was picking, i got the burning legion faction.

Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    bitching on a non official forum isn´t exactly feedback you know
    1. blizz said they read other forums too 2. my acc is frozen

couldn't have said it better myslef, terrorlord15. some people just think they are so damn smart but in reality its them who fails
    Last edited by icecreamtruck; 2010-07-26 at 03:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    1) Why is your account frozen?

2) We will be balanced around this ability being up a certain % of the time, with a certain number of stacks. "I like it as long as we aren't balanced around it" comments are unfortunately wrong. We are balanced around everything at all times.

R.I.P. YARG

We choose who the buff applies to, so we can pick that for the best effect.
    True that it is not a solo buff, but then again neither is focus magic so that arguement is pointless.
    Using solo/questing as an arguement is pointless since that is not the primary content around which we are balanced with that buff in mind.
    Focus magic currently works as a buff on the target of your spell only, excluding any uptime from the stacking buff.
    Dark Intent provides a passive effect to both you and the target so making it a substantial improvement.
    Even on a low uptime/no-uptime target it will still be benefitting you and them, unlike the current implementation of Focus Magic.

You wanted our reasons, there you go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mafio View Post
    U-s-e-l-e-s-s for Destro Warlocks

Just like everything done yet. Just like Burning Crusade, there will be no destro locks again.
    GG
    Not useless, not ideal in their current form but we're not discussing their current form. With procs to use with Soul Fire and hasted Immolate ticks, this will work out far better than it would on a Destro lock of today. And that's not withstanding the fact that all the stat values and balances are changing anyway, nor what the Mastery bonus will push Destruction into favoring from gear. Put simply - this could be fucking awesome for Destruction once we have the full picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarghol View Post
    It can't be balanced around it. PvP anyone? 10% less damage if there's no viable partner around, and bigass ramp-up time? That doesn't really work out well.
    If there's no viable partner around for Arena your chances of success are already somewhat diminished. Don't need an ability like this to make that the case.

Again. Ramp up time is a non-argument. You've all used IotDS and similar trinkets. Put your DI on a Tree - probably one of the best places for it, life tap a few times and get them to hot you up before the pull. Pre-stacked DI. Simple.

Is it boring? Well that depends. It's certainly more interesting than nothing, as it gives you and your raid more options in distributing buffs. It'll only be dull if there's only ever one raid member worth putting it on - see FM chain.

Will we be balanced around it? Of course, but like everything we're balanced around what the best people can get out of it. But that's the same for all classes, they're trying to increase that disparity between the best and the average by making things more complex. If by moaning that you want this removed, you're really just asking for a layer of complexity to be removed because you can't handle it, then that's just tough pretty much. That's the way the whole game is going.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    We choose who the buff applies to, so we can pick that for the best effect.
    True that it is not a solo buff, but then again neither is focus magic so that arguement is pointless.
    Using solo/questing as an arguement is pointless since that is not the primary content around which we are balanced with that buff in mind.
    Focus magic currently works as a buff on the target of your spell only, excluding any uptime from the stacking buff.
    Dark Intent provides a passive effect to both you and the target so making it a substantial improvement.
    Even on a low uptime/no-uptime target it will still be benefitting you and them, unlike the current implementation of Focus Magic.

You wanted our reasons, there you go.
    You call that reasons to why you want dark intent to stay? that was more like you talking about how the spell works.

dark intent will boost our dmg much more then focus magic does, so NOT having the buff will be a much bigger deal. and using soloing as an arguement is not pointless at all. we do damage when we're soloing too, and since our dmg is balanced around this spell, we will do a lot less dmg when soloing since we have no one to use it on. i dunno what you're talking about? there is NOTHING good about this spell. except maybe useful as a trash buff for dispel protection

15+ Year Old Account
    @icecreamtruck - I understand what you're trying to do (in general - not just this thread) but you have to do it differently than the wow forums.

You need to provide numbers or play experience opinions. Nothing else matters. "DI needs to be removed because its short and we'll get balanced around it" is not numbers nor play experience. Do we have information on how often it can proc (percentage)? If so, you can easily simulate/estimate its up time and figure out how much of an increase it is. These numbers matter, not heresay and opinion.

If you're concerned with the 7 second duration or the proc rate after you've experienced it, and it's just not getting to a 3 stack very often and your dps is lagging behind, then thats a play experience and should be shared. Since we have none of that yet...

I understand the concerns that it will suck on Destro, but remember that your Imp is providing a dot now, as well as Conflag and Immolate, all of which can crit. Remember that Destro will inherantly have a higher crit rate than Affliction and thus Crits per Minute for both trees will be fairly close (Affliction has more chances to crit per minute while Destruction has fewer chances but crits more often). While Destruction does not have many periodic damage sources to benefit from this, remember that it goes both ways - you are now providing a buff to someone else, so choose wisely.

I'm not concerned for PVP because this is another limiting effect that prevents a Warlock from being too powerful in PVP and underpowered as a result in PVE. Good warlocks will learn to use this in PVP and bad warlocks won't 1-2-3 punch you to death with it.

Edit: Just remembered that Conflag is based on your Immolate's damage, so if you have a +9% Immolate going then your conflag is going to hit for +9%. 9% of 20k minimum is still 1800 damage, which is substantial (180 dps)
    Last edited by gherkin; 2010-07-26 at 05:05 PM.

R.I.P. YARG

Deleted
    it was pretty cheap way of "inventing" a new spell by just copy pasting it from mages.

My only regret is that Mages won't want it. I would like Mages to want it, so that I can withhold it from them.
    That's just between you, me, and my pal Captain Winky.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbykig View Post
    it was pretty cheap way of "inventing" a new spell by just copy pasting it from mages.
    Mages got Heroism.
    Shamans got Crusader Strike
    Paladins got Combo Points
    Rogues got Renew
    Priests got Ice Lance

Your point?

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    I'm not concerned for PVP because this is another limiting effect that prevents a Warlock from being too powerful in PVP and underpowered as a result in PVE.
    i think this actually the reason they made this spell. they dont want us to do too much dmg in pvp. but why warlocks? shouldnt everyone do less dmg in pvp? we already have shadow embrace witch is impossible to stack in pvp. what about shadow priests? and this spell just brings up other issues like low dmg when soloing, more ramp up etc

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamtruck View Post
    TY ALL NON-WARLOCKS FOR VOTING NO, you know this spell will suck for us thats why you voted no. confirms my point. This poll is pointless
    IF YOU VOTED NO PLEASE TELL ME WHY or else im just gonna assume you're not playing a warlock (nerf you buff me).
    Hi.

I don't play a Warlock.

The reason I don't play a Warlock is because my subscription is inactive.

Even so, my Warlock is only my 3rd or 4th highest in level.

But you bring up a very good point.

Because, as a Warlock, you will never, ever play with any other classes in any kind of situation.

In addition, this spell is available to every Warlock, and they are the only ones with DoTs. Also, there are no classes that revolve around HoTs, and therefore no one would really benefit from the application to heals.

And, like you said, this ability will define Warlocks from the level they get it. Because it's such a huge boost to damage. And not at all situational.

Non-sarcastically: From my perspective, it's a spell that reflects the Warlock's love of ganging up on stupid monsters and destroying them utterly. Thus the name, and thus why this thread is still alive.
    God damn those casuals and their utter refusal to ever complain as much as the so-called hardcores.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    point 3 is just your opinion and vision, it isnt facat, i for one think different, dont think of it as being reliant on others but using them for your own agenda
    Well yes, all three points are opinion. I was just sharing my opinion on why I do not want dark intent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamtruck View Post
    i think this actually the reason they made this spell. they dont want us to do too much dmg in pvp. but why warlocks? shouldnt everyone do less dmg in pvp? we already have shadow embrace witch is impossible to stack in pvp. what about shadow priests? and this spell just brings up other issues like low dmg when soloing, more ramp up etc
    If affliction had burst potential, maybe they would care about Shadow Embrace more. As it is, the point of spells like this is to nerf burst from Destruction and find ways to allow them to keep up in the meters. Empowered Imp is one way. ISL = less tapping = more dps is another.

Ramp up? Only matters if the ramp up is a majority of the time on the target. You change your rotation for short lived mobs and do math to figure out what works best. For me, 2 ticks of Corruption and 3 ticks of UA make them worth casting. In all other situations, Shadow Bolt spam is king.

Soloing? You have to be joking. How do you use a spell on someone else when you're alone? And if you're talking about being balanced around buffs we can't use, then you are mistaken. Raid DPS is balanced around having all buffs and using all spells. PVP dps is balanced around comps and self-buffed potential. Solo is balanced around "Can you kill 1-2 mobs at a time without screaming at your monitor?"

R.I.P. YARG

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'm confused as to why you'd be against us getting a buff... even if it's not the most amazing buff in the world. How long have 'locks been asking for an actual buff other than seeing the (one or two) invisible things out there and underwater breathing?

On a side note, why is it that we're finally getting an underwater zone, and they're removing our underwater breathing buff?!?

I personally hate things like TotT and FM. They just become an annoyance when people start bothering you for the buffs. Plus I think it's much to similar to FM. If you guys are going to get a cool new buff, it should be cool and new.

If you don't like it, then don't use it!

I think the concern many have when they say "I just don't want our dps balanced around this" is that the buff we receive from DI (the 3% haste and up to 9% Dot damage) is exactly the same as the buff we give to the other person, but our dps is balanced around having the buff while the other person's dps is not. This is, obviously, an issue with Focus Magic but one that mages have maneuvered around by circle-focusing so that they receive both aspects of the buff. However, 3% Haste and 9% Dot damage feels like a much more substantial buff than 3% crit (especially considering how undesirable crit is considered by most classes) so it feels considerably more unfair that our dps is balanced while the receiver's dps is not, leaving us with what feels like no dps from the ability while substantially increasing the dps of the other individual at no cost to them.

I think locks are doubly incised by this because there's suspicion that the buff received is sufficiently dps increasing that Blizz won't allow DI to stack so that the mage solution of circle-buffing won't be a viable option. Basically, the resentment of DI is wrapped up in the feeling that the ability brings no real advantage to locks in raid while purely bringing an advantage to someone else.

The PvP concerns, I think, are based on the belief that not only our PvE dps, but also our PvP dps will be based on the assumption of having the buff which will not necessarily be the case, and that likewise, the soloing concerns (while, for example, leveling) are that our ability to dps while questing will be hindered by lower dps compared to other classes that are not dependent upon others for maintaining their regular dps.

That's at least what I see of why locks don't want DI, and I think some are more valid than others. For the PvP and soloing concerns, I imagine (hope, believe, whatever) that they won't be balancing around the existence of the buff, so it won't hinder us significantly. But for the raiding concerns, I fear that the solution will probably be an overall nerf to the bonus damage to dots, to make it feel less unfair to give to other classes, which will quite possibly leave it feeling a touch disappointing and boring overall. Something of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" issue.

Since the stacking buff is dependant on random factors, not least the existence of a suitable target then while there may be some balancing, it should not be around some large uptime.
    Instead some assumption that it may just be up part of the time, not consistently I hope.