Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinen View Post
    Yeah because GM's saved the world twice each. Also 90% of the OVER 9000 (great meme, you're so clever) sure are qualified for the job, except for the part that are coming from a private server, are retards, don't even speak propper english, and so on and on.
    Hyperbole - A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect
    I guess someone didn't learn this in school. Or maybe they didn't get to that part yet.

My point is that only the very qualified can get that job, especially at this point.

Sorry to stop all the bashers, but there are french, spanish, russian and german (more languages?) GMs too. No need to speak fucking perfect english everywhere, stop assuming you need it for everything.

So now go on flaming this guy but stop with this "omg you don't have perfect english skills, your life is meaningless"
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by RC-ST. View Post
    Anyone knows a GM in wow? Cause i wana know how can you become a gm, what experience/cv you need. How much does it pay , etc.
    First of all, you need to be able to speak English. 'Cause i wana' should be 'Because I want to'. 'how can you' should be 'how you can'. I don't think that you qualify for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Samin View Post
    Sorry to stop all the bashers, but there are french, spanish, russian and german (more languages?) GMs too. No need to speak fucking perfect english everywhere, stop assuming you need it for everything.

So now go on flaming this guy but stop with this "omg you don't have perfect english skills, your life is meaningless"
    By asking the question 'how to become a GM', he deserves to be bashed. Not knowing how to find out yourself, means that you are a retard. No mercy for the retards!
    Last edited by Zetsumei; 2010-07-29 at 10:52 AM.
    /Zetsumei

Quote Originally Posted by Lifesbane View Post
    Really doesn't seem like that bad of a job, but wouldn't you be so sick of wow by the time you got done with work?
    Working as any sort of customer relations is the quickest way to crush any enthusiasm for a subject you enjoy.

Aren't you assuming English isn't his first language? His post history doesn't state one way or the other.
    Last edited by dotSeed; 2010-07-29 at 10:53 AM.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag7 View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are like OVER 9000 people competing for every spot. So unless you're Chuck Norris, have saved the planet several times, the UN leaders are ready to vouch for you and have been asked to be a liason between Earth and the martians, you don't stand a chance at getting hired.
    well i got 2 degrees in machinima and wow so i have a chance
    and about those martians, don t know them but a few days ago a spaceship took me somewhere to answer to some questions and after that they took me back to earth and told me i ve saved my planet

I'm spanish, and I've taken a look at the hiring, and you need fluent spoken english even in the spanish customer service ^^

Nothing wrong with him not having perfect english skills thou, I myself don't have them.

How about you do some research before throwing feces around like a monkey?

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=0900095
    Customer Service Representative - French
    Requirements

* Fluent in English
    * Excellent written and verbal communications skills in French

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=0900093
    Customer Service Representative - German
    Requirements

* Fluent in English
    * Excellent written and verbal communications skills in German

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=0900097
    Customer Service Representative - Spanish
    Requirements

* Fluent in English
    * Excellent written and verbal communications skills in Spanish

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=100001Q
    Localization Game Tester - Russian
    Requirements

* Excellent Russian and English language skills

EVERY Blizzard job requires you to be fluent english. Really try to find me one that doesn't.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...#region=Europe
    Knock yourself out.
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”
    ~G.B. Shaw

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    My point is that only the very qualified can get that job, especially at this point.
    What possible qualifications are there. The mere fact that they can post on an online forum seems enough for such a simple job. Its not like they have to think on their own.

I'm pretty sure there are like OVER 9000 people competing for every spot. So unless you're Chuck Norris, have saved the planet several times, the UN leaders are ready to vouch for you and have been asked to be a liason between Earth and the martians, you don't stand a chance at getting hired.
    You'd be surprised. It's not an extremely high paying job, and the fact that you have to, you know, live in the area, stops a lot of people from jumping on it. Nobody (nobody sane anyways) would MOVE for the job of Game Master, the salary isn't high enough. Blizzard's actual development jobs, on the other hand...

Really though. Being a GM isn't going to support a family. In California, it may pay your bills... if you are living in a studio apartment, possibly with a roommate. In Texas, you could live in a comfortable apartment off that salary, but it's no career job. What it IS, however, is a foot in the door to Blizzard. They do a great deal of in-company hiring.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2010-07-29 at 10:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    and about those martians, don t know them but a few days ago a spaceship took me somewhere to answer to some questions and after that they took me back to earth and told me i ve saved my planet
    Then you qualify! Congrats! Oh, and:

well i got 2 degrees in machinima and wow so i have a chance
    Hilarious. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    There's this concept called "fun." I know it's foreign to most of the people on this forum, but perhaps you should look into it; there's a school of thought that suggests it's integral to why people play games.

Its a minimum wage job and as its an office job you will need to move if you want to work there. Aswell as move your characters to the realm that they request you to be on.
    In return you do get a lifetime pass for free World of Warcraft ect. Lifetime pass is pretty much untill you get fired or quit the job.

Btw OP is just trolling.
    Last edited by Nirron; 2010-07-29 at 11:01 AM.

Read my sig and you'll probably understand why this guy won't be a GM imho.

What possible qualifications are there. The mere fact that they can post on an online forum seems enough for such a simple job. Its not like they have to think on their own.
    Like the guy above said, perfect english for starters. Also, working with a computer as just telling everyone to delete their WTF folder is not the way to go. Experience in dealing with the public will go a long way on your application, too.

Off the top of my mind.

Here's a questionnaire with a former GM. Go through the answers, he mentions the requirements for the job here and here.

To be honest, it sounds like a boring office job.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like the guy above said, perfect English for starters. Also, working with a computer as just telling everyone to delete their WTF folder is not the way to go. Experience in dealing with the public will go a long way on your application, too.
    So nothing special, at all. Nothing anyone with 1 year in customer service and half a brain couldn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirron View Post
    Its a minimum wage job and as its an office job you will need to move if you want to work there. Aswell as move your characters to the realm that they request you to be on.
    In return you do get a lifetime pass for free World of Warcraft ect. Lifetime pass is pretty much untill you get fired or quit the job.
    Stop pulling utter bullshit out of your arse. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I think this should win some kind of award. I mean, we must now have had one post about literally EVERY SINGLE FEATURE in the ENTIRE GAME which "ruined wow".

So nothing special, at all. Nothing anyone with 1 year in customer service and half a brain couldn't do.
    Experience in customer service is one of the most important things Blizzard will look for in their GMs. It's absolutely true. It's not a complicated job, there's just a fair bit of competition for it, because it's Blizzard and the benefits employees get are extremely good (have a look at the website - like Google, Blizzard benefit packages are like being treated like royalty). But like I said, the fact that Game Masters aren't exactly paid HUGE salaries and the fact that you have to basically live right in the area kills the prospects of most interested people.

---------- Post added 2010-07-29 at 04:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nirron View Post

Btw OP is just trolling.
    This is made up information. While low paying, it is not minimum wage. You may also be paid more if you have a lot of experience in customer service, which would let you enter Blizzard with a higher 'rank' of GM than other people. Your characters on your World of Warcraft account are 100% separate from your work with Blizzard. Additionally, GMs are not 'assigned' realms. They are universal across all realms, and generally assigned ticket types. You also do not get a lifetime subscription for free to WoW. Some GMs do not even play WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Professor View Post
    How about you do some research before throwing feces around like a monkey?

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=0900095
    Customer Service Representative - French
    Requirements

* Fluent in English
    * Excellent written and verbal communications skills in French

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=0900093
    Customer Service Representative - German
    Requirements

* Fluent in English
    * Excellent written and verbal communications skills in German

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=0900097
    Customer Service Representative - Spanish
    Requirements

* Fluent in English
    * Excellent written and verbal communications skills in Spanish

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=100001Q
    Localization Game Tester - Russian
    Requirements

* Excellent Russian and English language skills

EVERY Blizzard job requires you to be fluent english. Really try to find me one that doesn't.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...#region=Europe
    Knock yourself out.
    Fluent english != native language level.

I never defended the OP nor did I say you don't need english skills for the job. Actually my complaint was much more general and directed to the "lawl you can't write a flawless english sentence go work for mcdonalds" guys.

You must basically only be able to write reports to the US GMs/Devs in english, and depending on where you work maybe communicate with your colleages.

What pisses me off is that people don't actually flame the OPs languages skills because of the language skills but because he asked a stupidly naive question and made some spelling mistakes (accidently or unaware of..doesn't matter). Because if I want I would find enough posts where most of you made mistakes too..hurr maybe you should work at McDonalds too, durr.
    The non-native-english-with-flaws-speaker bashing is a general problem in this (well not only this) community, that just gets pushed up and confirmed in such posts. Stop it. Stay with the facts there are enough jokes to make about the OP and his question. No need to bash his language skills just because it is easy.

Edit: also like someone above mentioned, I hope OP is trolling, otherwise I feel sorry for him.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Fluent english != native language level.

I never defended the OP nor did I say you don't need english skills for the job. Actually my complaint was much more general and directed to the "lawl you can't write a flawless english sentence go work for mcdonalds" guys.

You must basically only be able to write reports to the US GMs/Devs in english, and depending on where you work maybe communicate with your colleages.

What pisses me off is that people don't actually flame the OPs languages skills because of the language skills but because he asked a stupidly naive question and made some spelling mistakes (accidently or unaware of..doesn't matter). Because if I want I would find enough posts where most of you made mistakes too..hurr maybe you should work at McDonalds too, durr.
    The non-native-english-with-flaws-speaker bashing is a general problem in this (well not only this) community, that just gets pushed up and confirmed in such posts. Stop it. Stay with the facts there are enough jokes to make about the OP and his question. No need to bash his language skills just because it is easy.

Edit: also like someone above mentioned, I hope OP is trolling, otherwise I feel sorry for him.
    I was actually the guy who said he should be working at McDonalds. But it wasn't because of his english level. It was because you SHOULD be able to look up information if you want to work in a customer service. I'd say it's the most important thing you need next to people skills. And patience.

How can you help others when you can't help yourself?
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”
    ~G.B. Shaw

In all honesty, I really cannot picture myself doing this kind of work. Seriously, I would probably nerdrage on half the questions asked. I can imagine some retarded retard making a ticket about how he deleted his hearthstone. Geez, I don't know what I'd do, I'd nerdrage for sure /facepalm