Thread: Lava Surge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashmob View Post
    OT - they´d better make LvB and LB have different numbers, at least in raidgear. as of now tehy´re pretty close together imo (take away ICC with that buff of theirs wich puts a small gape between them) and as stated above it´s more or less just a LB with 100% crit. wich is like only 30% less than LB roflmaotsetung.

and the "but you have to hit a different button!!11"-argument doesnt count. that´s not how good gameplay is defined.
    The unleash weapon effect on flametongue increases the damage of your next fire spell by 20%. Not sure if it's worth casting though, it slows down your rotation a bit.

I had forgotten about unleash weapon, but at only a 20% increase if its on the GCD its not worth using over another LB or CL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hugztiem View Post
    The unleash weapon effect on flametongue increases the damage of your next fire spell by 20%. Not sure if it's worth casting though, it slows down your rotation a bit.
    yeah i remember that but i wouldn´t be surprised if it turns out that, damagewise, it would be better casting unleash weapon before casting flameshock in terms of total damage - anyone in the beta test that yet? i mean, does it affect flameshock as a total, including all the ticks or just the initial shock damage? my guess and hopes would be that it affects FS in total.

That could just be a tooltip error, unless you can confirm this on the beta servers for us.
    I can confirm it. I was going to do some FRAPSing to do some number crunching since mods are disabled, but it seems the last patch either broke unleashed elements flametongue or speccing my second talent tree did. Either way, unleashed elements flametongue deals 0 damage and doesn't put a buff on me, but earthliving still works. Figure that out. :/

---------- Post added 2010-08-02 at 12:31 PM ----------

On a side note, a few things I can confirm from previous testing:
    - Earthquake's damage is "meh", but all AOEs have been scaled down to some extent.
    - Fire nova consumes unleash elements.
    - Fire totems do not consume unleash elements (nor do they benefit).
    - Unleash elements is broken for all non-earthliving (confirmed with a few different shaman) currently.
    - As of last build (which gave elemental mastery +15% damage), unleash elements flametongue and elemental mastery could both be active, but you only benefited from the damage portion of flametongue and the haste of EM. You didn't get a double buffed death fire attack.
    - Elemental's mastery is still broken. No LO yet.
    Formerly known as Anaeradranax, Elemental Shaman of <The Nameless> US-Argent Dawn
    Formerly known as Fuzzytotems, Resto Shaman of <Bacon> US-Argent Dawn
    Former member of the Rawr Development Team

15+ Year Old Account
    i think what people are over-looking is what the talent does for movement and it greatly improves that department.

the meat of our DPS is probably going to be mastery and i wouldn't bank too much on this talent, as someone pointed out, Feedback only benefits from nature spells.

this talent kinda allows for 2 things: the possibility for LvB to come off CD right before it was about to, rendering the proc wasted or the possibility of firing off another LvB before your flameshock falls off, which is pretty awesome, imo.

also, crit will actually be more valuable of a stat now that elementals across the board will be using searing totem (with flameshock's crit built in as well.)

edited: i don't see it being OP in arena. every healer will have a magic dispel, so you can just dispel flameshock off the shaman's target as he's casting. it'll be a pick your poison type deal; do i get crit in the face or give the shaman 30% haste?
    Last edited by msdos; 2010-08-02 at 12:37 PM.

A better unleash weapon for ele shammy with flametongue would be it sends a lava burst-like spell at the enemy, imo

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    A better unleash weapon for ele shammy with flametongue would be it sends a lava burst-like spell at the enemy, imo
    Imo:

A fire DoT that slowly increases in ticking speed as it reaches it's end. In PvP you can see this as a building burst damage, knowing that the most heavy ticks will come in a few seconds (for example)

Deals a very low (almost unnoticeable) damage at first, and starts at one tick every 3 seconds and reducing time between each tick by 10% every tick.

Real time: -
    CAST_________X
    1st tick_____one tick per 3 sec
    2nd tick_____one tick per 2,7 sec
    3rd tick_____per 2.43
    4th tick_____per 2.18~
    5th tick_____per 1,96~
    6th tick_____per 1,77~
    7th tick_____per 1,59~
    8th tick_____per 1,43~
    9th tick_____per 1,29~
    10th tick____per 1,16~
    11th tick____per 1,04~
    12th tick____per 0,94~
    13th tick____0,84~
    14th tick____0,76~
    15th tick____0,68~
    16th tick____0,61~
    17th tick____0,55~
    18th tick____0,50~
    19th tick____0,45~
    20th tick____one tick per 0,40~ seconds. That's 2.5 ticks per second!

This spell is like a reversed Curse of Agony, but instead of increasing damage, it's ticking speed will increase !
    Only one can be active at any time, and refreshing leads to a new ticking spree (to prevent stacking haste and just refreshing it before it falls off)

Spellpower will increase base ticking damage
    Crit will increase each tick to deal 150% (or 200% with elemental fury) damage
    Haste will increase the growth in ticking speed. It will do it like this:

Say you have 300 haste which increases spell haste rating by 12,32%. You now take the basic growth component of Unleash Flametongue - which is 10%- and add 12,32% to this and you will now have 12,32% growth in ticking speed.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

The spell lasts at least 12 ticks. But can be altered through Elemental talents to add 1 tick every time you critically strike with an offensive spell (including this as well).
    This simple looking spell would deal 3600 damage with 300 damage, no haste, or crit. And would last exactly 21,49 seconds.

Now let's say we are elemental, have 800 haste (for 27.85%), enough spellpower to boost this damage up to 500, and 33% crit, while casting two lava bursts and 9 lightning bolts in between

The casting inbetween Unleash weapon's ticks are enough to increase your amount of ticks by 5. And thus, it would deal 17 ticks, and by having it crit itself it would then tick 23~ times.

We got enough haste for a 27.85% increase in speed, so our ticking growth is 12,79% (it will round to a two-digit number)

So we got this:
    Ticks will increase by 12.79% speed every tick.
    Damage is 500, with a 33% chance to deal 1000 damage.

1st tick = 3 seconds
    2nd tick - 2,61~
    3rd tick -2,28~
    4th tick -1,98~
    5th tick -1,73~
    6th tick -1,51~
    7th tick -1,31~
    8th tick -1,15~
    9th tick -1,00~
    10th tick -0,87~
    11th tick -0,76~
    12th tick -0,66~
    13th tick -0,58~
    14th tick -0,50~
    15th tick -0,44~
    16th tick -0,38~
    17th tick -0,33~
    18th tick -0,29~
    19th tick -0,25~
    20th tick -0,22~
    21th tick -0,19~
    22th tick -0,16~
    23th tick -0,14~

So the entire spell will last around 22,34 seconds. And deal around 19167~ damage (factoring in crit), which isn't too much in Cataclysm content.

Of course every spell that critically strikes within those 22.34 seconds, will simply add another tick. So if i would cast another Lava Burst in here, it would add another 0,12~/second tick to the total.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Me likes that idea
    Shaman PvP Theory
    - "that all sounds nice but i prefer the hide behind a rock and dps method, and if they target you, ghost wolf, and if they start attacking you, bend over and prepare yourself psychologically."
    -Thunderspike

10+ Year Old Account
    A cornfield by a raceway with a tornado flying through (Indiana)
    It just makes me happy that the proc has no internal cd. A guildie of mine was getting a few back-to-back when we were messing around in a dunegon the other day. It was fun.

Deleted
    I'd think blizz would have thoughed of this and that it might involve a harder rotation, wich in the end could pull more dps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brollbearmantle View Post
    I'd think blizz would have thoughed of this and that it might involve a harder rotation, wich in the end could pull more dps.
    Also gives us something to watch other then the linking of CL to tighten the rotation for more LvBs.

They said they wanted Chain Lightning to be insignificant, if not non-existant in a single-target DPS rotation.

So we're onto a priority queue again instead of rotation: Flame shock debuff >2 seconds - Lava Surge=Lava Burst - Searing totem? - Unleash Weapon+LvB or might be Flame Shock - Fill in with Lightning Bolts

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator View Post
    Also gives us something to watch other then the linking of CL to tighten the rotation for more LvBs.

They said they wanted Chain Lightning to be insignificant, if not non-existant in a single-target DPS rotation.
    That's too bad, I really like the Chain Lightning graphic and it would be nice to give Elemental a reason to cast it once in a while for single target.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunwolf View Post
    That's too bad, I really like the Chain Lightning graphic and it would be nice to give Elemental a reason to cast it once in a while for single target.
    Give back it's sound of a Lightning bolt hitting a lightning infused truck made of awesome and explosive lightning