Deleted

Cataclysm - Imp SS & Chimera

Hey

I was wondering if someone knew the following - looking at the talent combined with the shot.

Improve Serpent Sting makes SS deal instant damage when it is applied.
    I was wondering if Chimera "applied" a new SS - thus dealing the extra damage.

It would make a lot of sense if it did with the removed extra damage is SS is applied.

Thanks.

They haven't updated the tooltips very well. In the latest build, chimera refreshes serpent sting but does NOT apply the secondary "chimera - ss" damage. They took that out completely.

Doesn't really matter imo though, seems as if they're pushing BM to be the top spec.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    They haven't updated the tooltips very well. In the latest build, chimera refreshes serpent sting but does NOT apply the secondary "chimera - ss" damage. They took that out completely.

Doesn't really matter imo though, seems as if they're pushing BM to be the top spec.
    I know that that's what I'm referring too.

If Improved Serpent Sting proc from Re-applying SS with Chimera, then it will do the same thing it does on live today.

So - LIVE
    Serpent Sting
    Chimera - deals Normal damage and refreshes Serpent Sting
    Chimera deals extra damage for having Serpent Sting up (Because of chimera)

BETA - With Improved Serpent Sting
    Serpent Sting (Deals 30% Instant damage because of talent)
    Chimera - Deals normal damage and refreshes Serpent Sting
    Chimera deals extra damage for Re-applying Serpent Sting (Because of the talent - Imp SS)

Maybe this makes it clearer

To be honest I wasn't even aware of the imp serpent sting talent. If they keep the mechanics the same as they are today (chimera triggers serpent sting to refresh as if it was applied manually) then it should do what you're asking.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I think I read something about this elsewhere and a beta tester said that no, the refresh mechanic on chimera doesn't benefit from the effect of the imp SS talent. The reason being that chimera simply resets the duration to full, it's not the same mechanic as if a new one were applied (this is the same reason we only manually refresh the sting under specific circumstances on live). Unless something changes, imp SS will be wasted talent points for a MM build.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
    I think I read something about this elsewhere and a beta tester said that no, the refresh mechanic on chimera doesn't benefit from the effect of the imp SS talent. The reason being that chimera simply resets the duration to full, it's not the same mechanic as if a new one were applied (this is the same reason we only manually refresh the sting under specific circumstances on live). Unless something changes, imp SS will be wasted talent points for a MM build.
    true, but it´s nessacery for the 'Hunter vs Wild' talent wich seems pretty strong for me (especially for BM of course), because we will have tons of stamina on the 85 gear. I think they will either move this talent up in the tree or add a new 2 point talent at the bottom. Maybe we will just have to waste 2 points in imp. SerpS ^^

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Blizz don't "push" any spec to be the best, they want them all to be equal. You're probably just biased towards MM or SV.

Chimera Refreshes the duration, it will not benefit
    BO0ooOOooOOo0oooOO0OOooOO0ooo0OOOo0oOO0NEST0RM!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uttnikk/simple
    ^Deepz served here^

I think the reason it feels like BM is "better" or "being pushed" is because it is the simplest to balance for the devs due to the tight focus of the spec. It's a lot easier to make a workable spec when all they really have to worry about are simple mechanics on the hunter's part and buffed damage coming from the pet. Even the most gimmicky of BM talents pales in comparison to any of the gimmicks built-in for SV/MM. Honestly, even if the current BM spec went live as-is, there probably wouldn't be too many complaints about it so long as the numbers behind the scenes pulled out respectable dps numbers. (I doubt Blizz would do that though, and I'm still waiting for my promised talent hooks to buff Cobra Shot so it does more dps for BM than for SV/MM.. since there is still plenty of time before beta is over, I can be patient a bit longer.)

SV/MM are no where near where Blizz wants them yet... Heck, SV still has a talent that affects Freezing Arrow (which is getting removed in Cata.) If Blizz wants Imp.SrpS to work with ChimShot, then it will in the end.

How can anyone say BM is being pushed to be the top? ATM on beta BM is pretty much crap, pet damage is laughable, since it doesn't scale really. Actually a MM hunter's pet does more damage because mastery is not working. KC, which imo costs more focus then it needs to because as it is atm, even for BM arcane shot> KC (assuming arcane is costing the correct amount) since KC's damage is horrible, not to mention usually misses/parry or does nothing at all.

The fact is it's beta, ..and hunters are pretty much a cluster atm. All specs are pretty fucked. Hell cobra shot is better then SS for MM/Sv, because the scaling on steady is off. And the talents for SS in the MM tree is working with Cobra.

All in all there is a lot of work to do on the class before a 'this is the raiding spec' will come around. As it is atm all you can do in beta to for DPS in a 5m is go MM, use AotF and spam arcane shot...and use FD (A LOT).