Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I have mixed emotions about this. I like the idea they are increasing the totem buff distances, but, does buffing a broken mechanic fix things?

I think they should do away with the majority of the totems, leaving ones like Mana Spring/Healing Stream, Tremor, Grounding, Searing, Fire Elemental(debatable), Earth Elemental(debatable), and Magma Totem, and then convert them into buffs, call them something like Mantras or since Paladins are "Blessings".

Have each Mantra do the same thing their totem counterparts did, having the same allotted time, and only able to have 1 of each school active from 1 shaman. Would solve everyone's problems, having us keep our totems, and also giving us buffs from the removed totems.

Anyone like that idea or does it just totally suck?
    Last edited by TheTieThatBinds; 2010-07-31 at 01:16 AM.
    Shaman PvP Theory
    - "that all sounds nice but i prefer the hide behind a rock and dps method, and if they target you, ghost wolf, and if they start attacking you, bend over and prepare yourself psychologically."
    -Thunderspike

Quote Originally Posted by Icenine View Post
    [...] I think that you need to realize that shaman are the biggest support class out there[...]
    WERE... not ARE. And 4 years ago at that.

---------- Post added 2010-07-31 at 03:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lohmar View Post
    I have mixed emotions about this. I like the idea they are increasing the totem buff distances, but, does buffing a broken mechanic fix things?

I think they should do away with the majority of the totems, leaving ones like Mana Spring/Healing Stream, Tremor, Grounding, Searing, Fire Elemental(debatable), Earth Elemental(debatable), and Magma Totem, and then convert them into buffs, call them something like Mantras or since Paladins are "Blessings".

Have each Mantra do the same thing their totem counterparts did, having the same allotted time, and only able to have 1 of each school active from 1 shaman. Would solve everyone's problems, having us keep our totems, and also giving us buffs from the removed totems.

Anyone like that idea or does it just totally suck?
    I'm a bit confused by your post. Do you mean remove the buff totems and turn them into Mantras all the while keeping the active totems? If so I'm totally on board.

I always thought buff totems were boring. I would love to have the buff totems turned into something similar to auras or AI, FORT etc. I do enjoy throwing down utility totems like earthbind, grounding etc. So I'm against removing the totem system entirely.
    Last edited by Buzzinjoe; 2010-07-31 at 01:19 AM.

The excuse blues give for not getting rid of totems is because they are a "Class defining" spell/mechanic.

Now for my post regarding keeping a few totems, and reverting the rest to "Mantras".

The buff totems are all turned into "Mantras" except for Mana Spring and Healing Stream, everything else is a damage dealing or damage absorbing totem.

This would be like a middle ground to completely removing totems, so Blizzard would be happy. Compromises work right?
    Shaman PvP Theory
    - "that all sounds nice but i prefer the hide behind a rock and dps method, and if they target you, ghost wolf, and if they start attacking you, bend over and prepare yourself psychologically."
    -Thunderspike

1. We're no longer a support class, haven't been for awhile
    2. With the spreading of Buffs around while Shamans can bring many different kinds we are not exclusive in this.
    3. GC says its ok that we have to choose between a buff totem and our utility totems but doesn't apply that logic to any other class/spec that brings similar buffs.
    4. Just because we can ring a host of buffs to raid doesn't mean we can do it all at once. Not only that but because of the backward logic mentioned above you can't bring our utility and our buffs to the raid unlike Paladins and DKs
    5. Anyone who thinks shamans are fine in PvP doesn't play a shaman. Our DPS specs are only viable in cleave comps, if you don't understand what that means for the spec as far as PvP goes then you must not PvP and there's no point in explaining it.

Those are just responses to the various ignorant rabble that is plaguing this thread, and it barely has 2 pages...so promising...
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17076#same-model-as
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17074#same-model-as
    and he went on and listed about 16 more items...truly...a champion for logic

Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk View Post
    yeah cuz shaman are so bad at pvp right now because totems cripple them. jk 3 specs that all have 1 or more r1 viable comps
    Obviously not the only reason and it's not the only reason they are so far down on raids. But it certainly doesn't help. Also the fact that most of their PVP totems are earth isn't great either.
    Last edited by bubbaquimby; 2010-07-31 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XemnasXD View Post
    5. Anyone who thinks shamans are fine in PvP doesn't play a shaman. Our DPS specs are only viable in cleave comps, if you don't understand what that means for the spec as far as PvP goes then you must not PvP and there's no point in explaining it.
    I'm gonna throw out a dummy explanation since you weren't willing to.

It basically means that the only way a shaman is viable in PvP is if the team is made up of enough burst to blow up one of the opposing players in 2 GCDs. If the Shaman's team fails to do so the match is most likely lost.

Shaman survivability is not changing drastically in Cata. And since globaling someone won't be an option anymore, well there also goes our pvp viability.

---------- Post added 2010-07-31 at 05:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lohmar View Post
    The excuse blues give for not getting rid of totems is because they are a "Class defining" spell/mechanic.

Now for my post regarding keeping a few totems, and reverting the rest to "Mantras".

The buff totems are all turned into "Mantras" except for Mana Spring and Healing Stream, everything else is a damage dealing or damage absorbing totem.

This would be like a middle ground to completely removing totems, so Blizzard would be happy. Compromises work right?
    Yeah so we're on the same page. As I said I like that idea. Unfortunately Blizzard doesn't know what compromise means. They also don't know how Shaman work or have any clue as how to fix the class despite the excellent feedback we've given over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzinjoe View Post
    I'm gonna throw out a dummy explanation since you weren't willing to.

It basically means that the only way a shaman is viable in PvP is if the team is made up of enough burst to blow up one of the opposing players in 2 GCDs. If the Shaman's team fails to do so the match is most likely lost.

Shaman survivability is not changing drastically in Cata. And since globaling someone won't be an option anymore, well there also goes our pvp viability.

---------- Post added 2010-07-31 at 05:28 AM ----------

Yeah so we're on the same page. As I said I like that idea. Unfortunately Blizzard doesn't know what compromise means. They also don't know how Shaman work or have any clue as how to fix the class despite the excellent feedback we've given over the years.
    Do what other shamans are doing, make an alt your main.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I'm quitting on the 5th of August so it really doesn't matter. None of this affects me but I like the discussions

Could be worse, pallys could have got bloodlust.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Yeah, so far its this. Rerolling my warrior. I MEAN CMON, look at warrior changes, so far it looks awesome.

GC still thinks totems are relevant for shamans. Someone from blizz should make Shaman and go to real 25 man raid.

Quote Originally Posted by jenerena View Post
    could be worse, pallys could have got bloodlust.
    qft

Best healer I've ever seen was a Shammy.

One of the best caster DPS I've ever seen is a Shammy.

Some of the best Melee I've ever seen are Shammies.

And the ONLY class I've ever seen able to top heals in DPS spec and gear... or top DPS in heals spec and gear... is a Shammy.

What I'm most annoyed with is how Blizzard is doing the changes.

Totem of Wrath giving a %'s spellpower instead of a fixed value. They already said how they are going change this and it's a long overdue change, so why do we need to wait until Cataclysm ?

Searing Totem & Elementals target acquisition is broken now, why do we need to wait until Cataclysm for a AI change ?

I realize they want to give the big changes out in chunks so they wont break balance hitting individually, but lets face it. Shamans got some issues now that could be addressed by some simple changes now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixup View Post

And the ONLY class I've ever seen able to top heals in DPS spec and gear... or top DPS in heals spec and gear... is a Shammy.
    The guild you seen it in must really suck dude...really.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    The guild you seen it in must really suck dude...really.
    Full resto gear and spec, 5.8k GS, 20% ICC buff, and 12k DPS on a non-gimmick fight.

Pretty impressive for a healer, if you ask me. And I'd never expect to see a Priest or Drood do that.

Full resto gear and spec, 5.8k GS, 20% ICC buff, and 12k DPS on a non-gimmick fight.

Pretty impressive for a healer, if you ask me. And I'd never expect to see a Priest or Drood do that.
    12K DPS with a lot of misses, 150% crit damage, no overload and not using lava burst since for resto it'd be weaker than Lightning bolt? Sounds totally plausible.

Best healer I've ever seen was a Priest.

One of the best caster DPS I've ever seen is a Mage.

Some of the best Melee I've ever seen are Rogue.

I'm not sure what you mean about the last one. If your talking about a healer doing high DPS, then the highest I have seen is a Priest. And the highest HPS done by a DPS, well that would be Priest as well, Shadow Priests reach up to 6-7k HPS on BloodQueen.

Raw numbers from logs will show that Shamans aren't high on Melee DPS or Caster DPS, and the last point is somewhat void. Any DPS that goes and heals wont last long at all and wont output much either.

psst some1 is talkin shit

put simply, whats lame is the fact that blizzard think thats totems are easily replaced, ok then, lets look at Earthbind. Sorry, what was the CD on that? oh and it's destroyed instantly? ....I Don't see that being easily replaced Blizzard. Fail blue is fail.

seriously though, does anyone in Blizzard actually play a shaman? really? come on be honest, they're all mages, warriors, paladins, locks and rogues (with one DK as the work experience kid so they can all laugh at him)
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

Dude stop with the weed... this never happened and i will pretend that i never read it. Okay?