Wireless internet signal strength problems

So I've been using a a wired and wireless modem combo for a while, but my modem burnt out recently. So, I bought a new modem that is all in one. I've never had any problems with my old modem, but I'm getting a pretty crappy signal (2/5 bars on average) on this new modem.

Today, I just found out that the signal stregnth is almost perfect on my old laptop. So now I've been wondering if theres something wrong with my built-in wireless LAN. Im pretty stumped so now I've come here to ask for your help. Thanks in advance for any advice

Also want to add that wireless is my only option, so I can't just connect directly to the modem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Frost has been the leveling spec of choice since....forever. The people laughing at you are wrath babies and should be treated the same way David Hasslehoff treats his body: with no respect.

Wireless is shit, and unless you have really good reason, you never should use one at home. Drilling holes through walls for regular CAT6 cable causes less grief in the long run.

WLAN still after all these years has some compatibility issues, especially if you have some draft-n version of WiFI on either your computer or the new router. Try googling for wireless compatibility problems of the new modem and your laptop.

Another likely problem is that the new modem's antennas are configured so differently that some reflections from the walls are blocked or whatnot and prevent you from getting goood reception. You can try moving the new router slightly, turn it into another angle or turn the antennas to see if you get any better signal. Also it's entirely possible your old router just was significantly better quality, and the current one is too bad to handle the walls/ceilings in your house.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Wireless is shit, and unless you have really good reason, you never should use one at home. Drilling holes through walls for regular CAT6 cable causes less grief in the long run.
    Hard to do in a two story house. Also, my old wireless setup worked fine,

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Another likely problem is that the new modem's antennas are configured so differently that some reflections from the walls are blocked or whatnot and prevent you from getting goood reception. You can try moving the new router slightly, turn it into another angle or turn the antennas to see if you get any better signal. Also it's entirely possible your old router just was significantly better quality, and the current one is too bad to handle the walls/ceilings in your house.
    I tried that, but to no avail.

I just connected my new modem to my old wireless router so it's working fine now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Frost has been the leveling spec of choice since....forever. The people laughing at you are wrath babies and should be treated the same way David Hasslehoff treats his body: with no respect.