Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is this prot build good for arena?

?warrior#fxJXteJK7tf4aw,,12213 (on talent mmo champion, not allowed to post links yet)

I played a prot warrior before and I really liked controlling the battle with all of the stuns (shockwave <3), interrupts and big revenge crits. I even 1v2'd a double dps comp, rogue and hunter, and had around 10% hp at the end so survivability (spelling?) is really high, which I love.

But I tried to make a better build now and I wonder if it'll work good.

Any advice?

Unfortunatly I didnt manage to make your link work by copying / pasting. Anyone did it ?

I can tell you without looking. If you're playing prot pvp... Then you're pvping wrong.

I'm afraid survivability doesn't help your healer. Or dps. And if you have another tank and they have a heals and a dps, then you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesgetndown View Post
    I can tell you without looking. If you're playing prot pvp... Then you're pvping wrong.

I'm afraid survivability doesn't help your healer. Or dps. And if you have another tank and they have a heals and a dps, then you lose.
    Sorry but, bullshit. Prot PvP is not about survivability, saying that only shows that you have no clue. In fact you take bigger crits than Arms because you sail at 550 resilience (ish) when Arms should be at 900. When your CD are in cooldowns you can be despawn very fast. But you are not in the Arena to be focused and, in fact, an ennemy team focusing a prot warrior in an arena is really stupid. So your argument is invalid. And I dont understand your last sentence :/ what are you trying to say ? lol.

Prot PvP is a mix of utility and control with decent burst. Check my spec (Armory is in my sig), 12/8/51. Basically, you need two T10 tanking pieces (for the bonus), a couple of PvP gear for some resil and some crit (i got the trinket, and relentless head and shoulder), a slow weapon (2.60) for big Devastates, some block value (BQL shield is nice, ToC 25 Beasts is good too, and Valithria gun) and then, PvE dps gear. Full ArP. I'll try to log out in my Arena gear tonight so you can check it out. Currently i'm rocking 550 resilience, 750 Arpen, 35% crit or so, 2000 block value and I cant remember my AP, but it's decent too. Right now i'm only aiming for more resilience (Relentless => Wrathfull) and an Arp Trinket (hello Halion).

Prot PvP isnt made for all comps. Basically, you need some form of MS with you, 3v3 is where we shine. Play with an Arms warrior and a Palaheal, which i am, and you're playing Mancleave, which is TONS of fun. Play with a Hunter and a Palaheal, and you're playing African Turtle Cleave, which is fun too. Dont go 2v2 as Prot, you will fail. Not enough burst. I dont know about 5v5 but it would probably fail too. Prot PvP isnt flexible when you want to build a team, you cant play with all class / spec sadly. That's what Arms is for =)

As prot PvP you can fulfill many roles.
    1. Stick on this caster's ass and CC him, Reflect him, stun him, take him low-life slowly. He cant damage you, but you damage him a lot. It will require some heal on him so you're giving your DPS partner some breath to DPS his target. Pay attention when he casts some CC (sheep, hex, cyclone..) and try to reflect these.
    2. Full interrupt on the healer in a burst phase. If you're good you can prevent every cast and dispell hots. You will also deal a good chunk of damage on the healer
    3. Turtle mode on your healer / dps if they're getting focus badly. Intervene (safeguard specced). Disarm melees. Fear. Shockwave the DPS. Spell reflect (specced). You can prevent a huge amount of incoming damage.
    4. Pure DPS. Here you are on the same target than your dps mate. Shield Slam, Conc bloc, Shield bash to daze him, stunlock with Charge / Intercept, Devastate, Disarm (specced for extra damage).

This spec not dead. It's far from ideal and it probably wont get you to gladiator, but it is really fun, and it's VERY viable up to 2k. I'm not gonna link Xanadu's armory AGAIN because it's getting old. But check this video guys. You'll enjoy it.
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=149191

Edit : oh and, in BG : Prot > all. As simple as that.
    Last edited by Alianthos; 2010-08-02 at 12:41 PM.

Get your prot ass out of arena pls

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alianthos View Post
    Sorry but, bullshit. Prot PvP is not about survivability, saying that only shows that you have no clue. In fact you take bigger crits than Arms because you sail at 550 resilience (ish) when Arms should be at 900. When your CD are in cooldowns you can be despawn very fast. But you are not in the Arena to be focused and, in fact, an ennemy team focusing a prot warrior in an arena is really stupid. So your argument is invalid. And I dont understand your last sentence :/ what are you trying to say ? lol.

Prot PvP is a mix of utility and control with decent burst. Check my spec (Armory is in my sig), 12/8/51. Basically, you need two T10 tanking pieces (for the bonus), a couple of PvP gear for some resil and some crit (i got the trinket, and relentless head and shoulder), a slow weapon (2.60) for big Devastates, some block value (BQL shield is nice, ToC 25 Beasts is good too, and Valithria gun) and then, PvE dps gear. Full ArP. I'll try to log out in my Arena gear tonight so you can check it out. Currently i'm rocking 550 resilience, 750 Arpen, 35% crit or so, 2000 block value and I cant remember my AP, but it's decent too. Right now i'm only aiming for more resilience (Relentless => Wrathfull) and an Arp Trinket (hello Halion).

Prot PvP isnt made for all comps. Basically, you need some form of MS with you, 3v3 is where we shine. Play with an Arms warrior and a Palaheal, which i am, and you're playing Mancleave, which is TONS of fun. Play with a Hunter and a Palaheal, and you're playing African Turtle Cleave, which is fun too. Dont go 2v2 as Prot, you will fail. Not enough burst. I dont know about 5v5 but it would probably fail too. Prot PvP isnt flexible when you want to build a team, you cant play with all class / spec sadly. That's what Arms is for =)

As prot PvP you can fulfill many roles.
    1. Stick on this caster's ass and CC him, Reflect him, stun him, take him low-life slowly. He cant damage you, but you damage him a lot. It will require some heal on him so you're giving your DPS partner some breath to DPS his target. Pay attention when he casts some CC (sheep, hex, cyclone..) and try to reflect these.
    2. Full interrupt on the healer in a burst phase. If you're good you can prevent every cast and dispell hots. You will also deal a good chunk of damage on the healer
    3. Turtle mode on your healer / dps if they're getting focus badly. Intervene (safeguard specced). Disarm melees. Fear. Shockwave the DPS. Spell reflect (specced). You can prevent a huge amount of incoming damage.
    4. Pure DPS. Here you are on the same target than your dps mate. Shield Slam, Conc bloc, Shield bash to daze him, stunlock with Charge / Intercept, Devastate, Disarm (specced for extra damage).

This spec not dead. It's far from ideal and it probably wont get you to gladiator, but it is really fun, and it's VERY viable up to 2k. I'm not gonna link Xanadu's armory AGAIN because it's getting old. But check this video guys. You'll enjoy it.
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=149191

Edit : oh and, in BG : Prot > all. As simple as that.
    2v2 with prot is potentially more powerful then 2v2 with arms.

Check your facts.

For 2v2 go with a Holy paladin
    For 3v3 go with a Marksmanship Hunter, and a Holy paladin.

Prot is all about coordination, teamplay, countering, and monitering diminishing returns.

Apply constant pressure, don't give them an inch of breathing space, and work hard.
    Last edited by Baabinator; 2010-08-02 at 02:22 PM.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator View Post
    2v2 with prot is potentially more powerful then 2v2 with arms.

Check your facts.
    Really ? Equally skilled, Arms > Prot in my book. Past +2k rating, on a target with a high amout of Resilience (basically everyone), you havent enough burst and you dont have MS, so the opposite healer will just laugh at you and refill its partner (or himself) in no time, as soon as your DR hit the fan, unless you perform an amazing CC / Interrupts / Fear combo + some RNG inside.

You should check your facts. If Prot > Arms in 2v2, you wouldnt see so much Arms / Holy rocking +2k5. Prot isnt viable at high rating levels.

Otherwise I agree with the rest of your post. 3v3 with a hunter and a pally is known as African Turtle cleave, I mentionned that already.

Edit : for the sake of giving facts....
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/rankings...rrior/Paladin/
    2v2, Paladin + Warriors. Only 2% of Prot warriors. Beside Xanadu's comp #19 (a very skilled prot warrior), all are playing Arms. Because that's the way you should play 2v2 warrior.
    Last edited by Alianthos; 2010-08-02 at 02:42 PM.

I hope they do what they said they were going to do and take prot out of arena for Cata. I have seen prot hit for 10k on a 1300 resil Holy paly with shield wall up. Ridiculous.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yureii View Post
    I hope they do what they said they were going to do and take prot out of arena for Cata. I have seen prot hit for 10k on a 1300 resil Holy paly with shield wall up. Ridiculous.
    1300 resilience is around 24% crit damage reduction and 22% basic damage reduction. Shield wall (you must mean Divine Protection provides another 50% reduction, on top of 55% basic armor reduction the holy paladin should have

So i call this bullshit

And they are not removing Prot's out of arena, simply check how many pvp-talents there are still left in prot. Plenty
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

So i call this bullshit
    It happened, and you are right, it is bullshit. Prot should be nothing but a meat shield. They should be extremely hard to kill but put out little to nothing when it comes to damage. Right now with the right gear and spec they can dish it out quite hard. This is not balanced and needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by Yureii; 2010-08-02 at 03:21 PM. Reason: quote fail

lolwut.
    Overexagerating much ? Rofl.

Sunders, Shattering Throw, prot spec'd warrior with the best 277 arp gear you can get plus 2 piece T10. Buffs cleaned by a disc priest. It happened.

---------- Post added 2010-08-02 at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alianthos View Post
    lolwut.
    Overexagerating much ? Rofl.
    Just because you don't have access to the best gear in the game and can't pull it off doesn't mean others can't

Sunders, Shattering Throw, prot spec'd warrior with the best 277 arp gear you can get plus 2 piece T10. Buffs cleaned by a disc priest. It happened.

---------- Post added 2010-08-02 at 03:47 PM ----------

Just because you don't have access to the best gear in the game and can't pull it off doesn't mean others can't
    Good thing that priest just dispelled that 1300 resi from that paladin
    And 1300resi on holy pala.... When you're already using silly numbers, you could have at least said 20k shield slam on 5k resi on a bubbled pally. It would be equally believable as your original claim but alot more funny.

Yup 1300 resil makes it impossible for someone to get hit hard by a by a 70% arp prot warrior with sunders and shattering throw up. You are an idiot. You have obviously never came across a well enough geared prot warrior in the arena. The fact that people think 10k from a prot warrior is impossible on any resil just tells me you're doing it wrong.

look up swifty prot pvp on youtube he makes prot pvp look amazing

This is how your spec should look: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...Xanadu&group=1

Also: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=149191

And no, in 2s, Arms is definitely better than Prot if you want to go far - Prot isn't bad but it's no where near as good as Arms in a 2s setting.

Quote Originally Posted by halpfultroll View Post
    This is how your spec should look: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...Xanadu&group=1

Also: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=149191

And no, in 2s, Arms is definitely better than Prot if you want to go far - Prot isn't bad but it's no where near as good as Arms in a 2s setting.
    Well thanks for linking an Armory and a movie that have already been linked in this very thread. Reading posts above you has its benefits

I'm currently logged out in Prot arena gear / spec. Feel free to check it out.

There's a thread or two about prot pvp every week, I really don't feel like reading through the same thing, just want to help.

Looking good so far anyway, ideal to get DBW of course.